Anybody heard that Stoney year end comp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard that Stoney year end comp?

Davey
03-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Hey Stone, that little ditty on the end is pretty cool with the combined excerpts from Elliot Smith, Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. Especially June Carter. Gotta try that some time myself. I know some others have done it before, notably that madman Troy who went to extremes on his retro comp, but it's a nice effect, sticking three songs into one. I might've been tempted to make it maybe 10 songs into one. And without the fadeouts. Anyway, nice bonus track and a really enjoyable comp, although I'm not as big a fan of the last few artists as you. A little too much screaming. But the first 15 songs are mostly damn good to excellent with some very nice transitions. I especially like that stuttering transition between the manic British Sea Power and the Wrens. Very cool :)

Also like that you burned it with CD-TEXT....

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/Stone.jpg

Jim Clark
03-25-2004, 01:42 PM
I picked up that June Carter Cash disc based on his comp, glad I did too. My favorite track has become Deformative by Black Eyes. I'd really like to hear more from them suckers.

Yep, that comp is a good'un.

jc

Stone
03-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Hey Stone, that little ditty on the end is pretty cool with the combined excerpts from Elliot Smith, Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. Especially June Carter.

Yeah, I wanted to pay a little tribute to those three, who all died last year. The Johnny Cash song is a duet with Joe Strummer, who didn't die in 2003, but it was late 2002, so I wanted to include him too. June Carter's album was really a surprise for me. That is, I was kinda shocked by how much I liked it.

Anyway, nice bonus track and a really enjoyable comp, although I'm not as big a fan of the last few artists as you. A little too much screaming.

I didn't think many people, including you, would care much for the last few tracks (excepting the "hidden" track), and that's why I tacked them on at the end. But how can you NOT like "Asteroiiiiiiiid"??

Stone

Stone
03-25-2004, 04:52 PM
My favorite track has become Deformative by Black Eyes. I'd really like to hear more from them suckers.

jc

Hey Jim, that Black Eyes song is probably the most accessible on the album, and that track to me is like Possum Dixon song mixed with a bit of whacked out punk like Racebannon or something. Strange, but very cool stuff if you ask me. PM me and I'll give you more info about their album.

Swish
03-26-2004, 09:30 AM
:D and I still like it a ton. I'd never heard about 70% of this, so there were some nice new discoveries on it for me, along with a few (cough) odd moments. I think I mentioned this before, but the one where the guy sings "There a dog sleeping in my bed, when I tickle his balls he give me sweet head" just cracks me up to no end.

Swish Baby

Stone
05-30-2007, 07:12 AM
I remember when I used to have time to do things like this.

3-LockBox
05-30-2007, 07:33 AM
I remember when we cared...

Monkey Bones
05-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Do things like what? Ya mean troll the archives looking for mentions of your past achievements?

Hehehe, I remember Slosh before the sex change. I remember a guy from New Zealand that turned me on to a bunch of cool sounds. I remember a guy from Brooklyn that had a band, and a couple of CDs to their name, and a great appreciation of rock's seamier and darker side. I even remember the orange from those early days here. And that goes back quite aways.

I remember ... when I was a kid I saw a light, floating high above the trees one night.
Thought it was an alien, turned out to be just god.

Stone
05-30-2007, 09:20 AM
I remember when we cared...

I also remember when I used to be polite, but those days are long gone. So...

you can shove it up your ass. Obligatory smiley indicative of nothing: :)

Monkey Bones
05-30-2007, 10:04 AM

remember when you were small
how people seemed so tall
always had their way...

if you ever feel so sad
and the whole world is driving you mad
remember, remember today

I remember when I was really small, I thought you could just write a check if you wanted something. Couldn't understand why my parents were so freakin' stingy with their damn checks. I mean, they had a whole book of them. Guess I wasn't the brightest kid on the block.

He takes a breath (look around, look around, he can hardly breathe)
And pulls her in (look around, look around, he can hardly move)
And shuts her out (look around, look around, feel him closing in)
And waits to hold her hand ... And waits to hold her and ...
La-da-da-da-da ...

Swish
05-30-2007, 11:00 AM

...and I remember the thread like it was yesterday. We had a number of members put together creative comps over the years, so it was nice to be reminded of this one again. I guess I need to dig it out of my cd case.

G Swish

3-LockBox
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM

you can shove it up your ass. Obligatory smiley indicative of nothing: :)

What I meant by, "I remember when we cared...", when we cared about things like comps, current rotation samplers, year end comps, and talked about them at great length, even to the point of making group comps, with everyone pitching in, and I probably shoulda said that, so that you wouldn't have taken my comment to mean we didn't care about your stupid comp, or whatever you took it to mean.

But hey, if you can find an example of me making personal attacks on this website, one that would set such a precedence that would warrant your response, then I'll gladly shove it up my ass.

Rae
05-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Oh, the internets.

Swish
05-31-2007, 04:23 AM
What I meant by, "I remember when we cared...", when we cared about things like comps, current rotation samplers, year end comps, and talked about them at great length, even to the point of making group comps, with everyone pitching in, and I probably shoulda said that, so that you wouldn't have taken my comment to mean we didn't care about your stupid comp, or whatever you took it to mean.

I took it the way you explained, but someone may have p<a>issed in Stone's Cheerios yesterday, so he took it as an insult.

And you're right; there use to be a lot of enthusiasm on RR that has dissipated quit a bit over the last few years, and I'm probably as guilty as anyone. I always use the excuse that I'm just too busy, but for the most part, it's very true, and I'm sure most of the others have a lot going in in their lives. I guess the board is just getting a bit old, as are the members.

G Swish

3-LockBox
05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
I took it the way you explained, but someone may have pissed in Stone's Cheerios yesterday, so he took it as an insult. (http://forums.audioreview.com/)

We're all busy, all got stuff to deal with...

I'm not expecting an apology, nor do I want one, in fact...I think I'll just leave this post alone. Too many things to do...not enough time in the day to let someone else rent space in my head.

The Juggernaut
05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Too many things to do...not enough time in the day to let someone else rent space in my head.

STONE, NOOO!!! GET OUT OF MY HEAD, STONE!!!