New Cabinet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Cabinet

poppachubby
10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Well it's here!! My new cabinet was transported here today by a couple of buddies. Don't be fooled by appearances, this thing is super tough. Each metric bar was stuffed to the brim with insulation. It's total weight is somewhere close to 100 pounds. It comes apart at the half way point for easy (easier) moving. I took a hammer to it and it gives almost no resonation, so should do just fine against a pair of speakers.

I now have to clean it and bring it in. I then have to build some shelving for it.

dakatabg
10-26-2009, 10:14 AM
take a picture once you put the stuff on it :)

poppachubby
10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Ya, I just lugged it in. Man alive! I think I will leave it in 2 pieces, undecided really. It might not be until the weekend before I can finish it and load it up.

harley .guy07
10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Hell you should be able to put a Sherman tank on that thing with know problems.

poppachubby
10-27-2009, 10:39 AM
I sourced out some Melamine for my shelving. I will paint the frame black and the shelving a deep brown in keeping with the current look I have. Should cost around $50 all said and done. Hope to have it done by this weekend.

audio amateur
10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Cool. Looking forward to seeing the final product!

poppachubby
10-28-2009, 09:55 AM
OK, I am going with 2 pieces for sure. One for TT's and vinyl, the other for everything else. I moved one in to try it out, threw an old coffee table top on it. Tommorrow I'll get my supplies and finish it.

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Well, I have one cabinet complete and I must say I'm quite happy with the result. I made some last minute changes. I went all black because I'm just a wild and crazy guy. I also opted for "Magic Sliders" instead of castors. And yes, they really do work. That's it for today, tommorrow cabinet #2...

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 08:17 AM
OK, one more with the goods...

frahengeo
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM
OK, one more with the goods...

Pop,

Looks good. What did you end up using for a top on the second unit. I guess you won't ever need to worry about bowing.

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Pop,

Looks good. What did you end up using for a top on the second unit. I guess you won't ever need to worry about bowing.

The second unit will have the same top as what's pictured on the first cab. Melamine, I've added a bull's nose to the front edge and painted it. Since I want my vinyl stacked on the second one, the lower 2 shelves will only have a thin, thin board. Thanks for looking man!!

audio amateur
10-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Wow looks great. I like!

poppachubby
10-30-2009, 07:47 AM
I spent a good 45 minutes stream lining the cables of the first cab. My kid helped...

poppachubby
10-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Finished look, the power squid really sticks out, I'm hoping to find something a little more subtle, black perhaps.

poppachubby
10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
OK, I'm done!! To summarize this project, in CDN funds:

Metric Bar/Welding- Free
Melamine Shelving- $25.00
Thin Hardboard Shelving- $5.00
Primer/Black Paint- Free (already had some)
Black Metal Spray Paint- $6.00
Screws- Free
Magic Slider- $15.00 (7.50 each set)

Total: $50.00, as previously estimated.

Obviously, not everyone can weld metric bars together. However, I would guess that a typical machine shop would do it for approx. $100-150 per each cab. Put this aginst the cost of a similar sized cabinet and it's a steal. The great thing about this is, if you have a good imagination, or have specific size needs based on a room or gear, you can get it done.

I originally had a plan drawn up for circular shelves that would have been held by only 1 bar at the rear of the unit. It would have looked amazing, the problem was that I didn't have enough re-bar available to me at the time of production. I went with a simple design that can accomodate quite a bit of stuff.

That's it!! I am planning to do some room lenses next, can't wait...

poppachubby
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I still have to stock the shelves with LP's....

Feanor
10-30-2009, 11:38 AM
I still have to stock the shelves with LP's....

They look great, PC, and ought to work well for you.

Actually it's kind of nice to see something beside the standard, "mono-column" component rack. The only potential advantage to the mono-column is possibly easier access to you cables, (apart for aesthetic and space considerations).

poppachubby
10-30-2009, 12:48 PM
They look great, PC, and ought to work well for you.

Actually it's kind of nice to see something beside the standard, "mono-column" component rack. The only potential advantage to the mono-column is possibly easier access to you cables, (apart for aesthetic and space considerations).

Thanks Bill, actually the Magic Sliders allow for easy movement, I mean really easy. It's quite a product.

JoeE SP9
10-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Nice rack! I like it.

blackraven
10-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Great job Pop's! Looks professional! I've toyed with the idea of building a wooden rack out of cherry or maple but I need a few more power tools. Maybe in a couple of years I'll have what I need.

poppachubby
10-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks fellas!! I'm really enjoying them...