Video Recording ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Video Recording ?

noddin0ff
10-26-2009, 09:39 AM
What I would like to do is be able to record broadcast TV (standard or high def) or cable (standard) , and then transfer the video to a laptop for watching on my long rail commute. I suppose this is time and place shifting.

If I could have reality bend to my will, I'd want to record to some removable format like an SD card or transfer via cables to my laptop's hard drive. I don't want to have to record directly to the laptop.

I'm not a big TV user. I don't have Tivo. I haven't done any video recording in the past.

Is there such a device available?

nightflier
10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
What you're looking for is PVR software. Here's a page that describes some of the most popular free ones:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/free-pvr-tv-recording.shtml

I've used MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/) and it's pretty much a staple on Linux, but there are others.

noddin0ff
10-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks, nightflier. I'm not sure if that's the option I'm looking for. I don't really have a computer that I can leave hooked up to cable. I'm hoping for a stand alone recorder that outputs the recorded files.

I'll look into this though. Nice to keep in mind for future reference.

pixelthis
10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
The cheap and dirty way is a DVD recorder, like the Sony model that Walmart sells.
RECORD YOUR STUFF onto a RW disc, watch it, and record over it.
Any other way is going to cost mucho deniro.:1:

noddin0ff
10-29-2009, 03:50 AM
The cheap and dirty way is a DVD recorder, like the Sony model that Walmart sells.
RECORD YOUR STUFF onto a RW disc, watch it, and record over it.
Any other way is going to cost mucho deniro.:1:

Thanks, pix. I was hoping someone might've done away with the disk by now. But if this is it, I'll take a look.

pixelthis
10-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks, pix. I was hoping someone might've done away with the disk by now. But if this is it, I'll take a look.

iT IS ARCHAIC , but the cheapest and simplest way to go.
I got good quality from my Sony for four years until it gave up the ghost.:1: