Emotiva amplifiers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Emotiva amplifiers

Valkilm
10-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Hello everyone!

Recently I discovered the brand Emotiva and their prices are very good for the products they sell. I'm considering buying the UPA-2 power amplifier but not yet sure about it

Anyone has one or knows this Emotiva brand?

See it at: www.emotiva.com

Regards,
Val

poppachubby
10-25-2009, 08:42 AM
There's a ton of Emotiva fans here, a couple of experts also. I would guess by the end of the day, you will have your anser.

dakatabg
10-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Here is the info!

http://www.emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

poppachubby
10-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Here is the info!

http://www.emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Man alive! Great price!! Emo make some great stuff...

dakatabg
10-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I know the amp looks so cool with the blue light in front! 125W is not bad!

kexodusc
10-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I have their LPA-1 multi-channel amp that I purchased with the goal of upgrading the power and sound from my receiver. It won't compete with the heavyweights like Krell or anything like that but I have some Adcom, Nad, and Rotel amps that it offers a profound sonic improvement over. I was not expecting such a level of performance for 2-channel purposes...a nice surprise. Power to spare too.

Here's my old thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26897&highlight=emotiva)...I know several others have other amps here...I can only assume the UPA-2 would be an upgrade over my multi-channel amp for 2-channel purposes, but have not heard it and can't speak from experience.

bfalls
10-26-2009, 05:30 AM
I have the XPA-5 (5x200W 8ohms, 5x350W 4ohms). I'm using it with a Sony STR-D5300ES as the preamp for the three front channels. I'm also using the Sony to drive the side and rear surrounds. The remaining two XPA-5 amp channels are used to bi-amp my main Legacy Focus' 3-12"/ch woofers.

I configured this way temporarily to see how it sounds. The XPA seemed overkill for the surround channels. My prior configuration used the Sony 5300ES receiver for the 7 full-range channels and a Yamaha M-65 to bi-amp the mains.

The additional power was very noticeable on the three front channels, but I did notice the center, which drives a Legacy Silver Screen, didn't seem to come alive until the system got to about the setup reference level (75db). I have a 12.5'x25' room so 75db-78db is about prime level for movies. At this level the seven full-range channels sounded great, but the sub level seemed less robust than with the Yamaha. The Yammie sounds deeper, has more weight, more robust.

My next step is to put the M-65 back on sub duty and re-task the the remaining XPA-5 channels for side surrounds. I also want to switch the center channel to one of the other amp channels to see if it drives the center better, or if the current amp may be defective.

I have nothing but good things to say about Emotiva. I also purchased three ERM-1 bookshelf speakers from them during the ERM-1 closeout. What an amazing little speaker for the price. I spoke with their sales and support people several times prior to and during the purchase and was very impressed. I recommend getting the amp now while you can at this price. If you have the need, don't stop at the UPA-2, go for the XPA-5 for the additional power.

rob_a
10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I am a big fan of Emo’s amps. I have the upa-2 and I think it’s probably the best 2 channel amp for the price, by far. You have to remember that the price for this amp is only $300, while the typical Krell amp’s are in the thousands. If you want top end hi-fi power, then be prepared to spend the big bucks $$$$, or take a chance on used equipment:confused5: . But if you want good, clean, detailed sound for a insanely good price, Emo is the way to go. I have listen to Rotel, NAD, Onkyo, amps at this price range and in my opinion, Emotiva is just better.
I have listen to their xpa amps also, there even better then the upa series and the price is in the ball park for must peoples budgets.