Special AR3 Discovery [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Special AR3 Discovery

jukester2
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Good day to all. I had an interesting experience yesterday. I purchased a pair of AR3s at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store. What made these unusual is that they were incased in a custom modular set up circa 1950's with the obligatory blond wood. The setup was very professionally constructed. It almost looked like it was made by Acoustic Research themselves because of the build quality. The exteriors had been knocked around a bit and I believe that is why they were passed on for several hours until I arrived. I noticed the paper tag on back announcing these as AR3s and I became VERY interested. They wanted $20 for the pair along with the housing and I paid it gladly. I lugged the setup home and carefully removed the speakers from their housing. To my delight and surprise, I found two near mint AR3s. It was as if they were in a time capsule and had been preserved by the cabinetry. All but one side had a very light pinkish paint. The grills were mint with both badges and the numeral 3. I connected them up last night and OMG...what sweet music! My question is: Is it possible that the blonde cabinetry was custom made for these speakers by Acoustic Research?:confused5: Any insight would be appreciated. I took step-by-step photos of the removal should someone like to see them.

JohnMichael
10-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Please post them and someone may be able to help. Welcome to AudioReview.

JoeE SP9
10-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Would love to see pics of those AR-3's.

BTW: Welcome to AR.

jukester2
10-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Just posted in Gallery. If you need to see more just let me know. Thank you!

JoeE SP9
10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Hot damn! They sure do look good. My first real pair of speakers were AR2's. I've been infected ever since.