Bose or B&W [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bose or B&W

Mingus
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
The in-laws just got a new Sony 32" 1080P set. They are looking for a set of home theatre speakers. Their preference is either Bose or B&W. Which is more appropriate.

markw
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm hungry and want a steak. Do I want a genuine Peter Luger's steak or Waffle House quality at essentially the same price?

Seriously, if they don't want to see the speakers and don't mind less than mediocre sound (particularly for the price), then Bose makes sense. Bose sells style and (non-audiophile) peer acceptance, not great sound.

If sound and value have any bearing here, then there are many, many other speakers than Bose that will deliver in spades. B&W is very nice, but many other fine speakers in many price ranges exist as well.

Luvin Da Blues
10-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Go with the Bose all the way, there are the best ever.

Just jokin, the Bose aren't even in the same league as the B&Ws. Youll be scrapping the bottom of the barrel with the Blose. Way over priced for the crap that they are.

Having said that, there are a lot of comparable speakers to the B&Ws such as Paradign, PSB, Axiom, Monitor Audio to name a few. I would spend some time researching "reputable" products within your budget.

Feanor
10-23-2009, 10:33 AM
The in-laws just got a new Sony 32" 1080P set. They are looking for a set of home theatre speakers. Their preference is either Bose or B&W. Which is more appropriate.

Do they want good sound or "wows" from the ignorant masses?

If good sound, then B&W, (or Paradigm, or PSB, or Monitor Audio, or Epos, or NTH, or Quad, or Definitive, or Energy, or Athena, or Emotiva, or Polk, or damn near anything), is going to sound better.

If wows from the masses, then maybe B(l)ose but B&W are pretty well know too.

Geoffcin
10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
As you can tell by the replies, Bose is a four letter word around here.

The real question that you should be asking is; What budget do I have?

After you've answered that then there's a methodical way to narrow down what will fit your needs. So if you can give me a budget I will give you several choices to go with.

JoeE SP9
10-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Almost anyone here will be glad to recommend some speakers and any other gear necessary. We will need more information before giving any advice.
You can be pretty sure of one thing. No one, I mean, NOT ONE SINGLE SOUL will recommend Bose speakers.

audio amateur
10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
I think he got the message:)

You can always count on the AR fidels to bash Bose

dakatabg
10-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I will go with the B&W. Bose is a great company but B&W will sound better and it will look better! I never was impressed by Bose!

MikeyBC
10-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I will go with the B&W. Bose is a great company but B&W will sound better and it will look better! I never was impressed by Bose!

Only great at marketing..if it wasn't for Paul Harvey and other Famous pitchmen spouting pre-written lines for years over the radio every 15 minutes i doubt they'd be in business.

emaidel
10-24-2009, 03:57 AM
Only great at marketing..if it wasn't for Paul Harvey and other Famous pitchmen spouting pre-written lines for years over the radio every 15 minutes i doubt they'd be in business.

The success Bose has experienced goes way behond Paul Harvey and "other Famous pitchmen." In the late 70's and 80's, the business relationship between Bose and their dealers had no peer, and nothing like it has ever surfaced since. Dealers HAD to dedicate an entire wall in their stores to showcase Bose products, but in return, Bose employees installed numerous in-store displays and set up the 901's in varied positions (usually suspeded from the ceiling) in order to provide the best acoustic environment to illustrate Bose's "reflected sound" theory/nonsense. NO speaker company ever, anywhere offered as much support as did Bose, nor did any speaker company (nor any another audio company for that matter) provide as much P.O.P. (point of purchase) material as Bose did, nor did any other company offer such strong marketing support.

Like most other AR members, I think Bose products are good, but hardly worth what they sell for. Still, many a manufacturer could learn a lesson or two taking a walk through history to see all the things Bose did for their dealers.

manlystanley
10-24-2009, 04:35 AM

B&W, B&W B&W!!!! I love my 684's.

harley .guy07
10-24-2009, 09:26 AM
My father is one fo the hooked. Read the literature and believe Bose fanatics. he has a set of the SE-5 Woofer-satelite speaker setup(you notice I did not say SUBwoofer) because in reality it isn't. But he loves his speakers. He is getting older and I think his hearing has got to the point that he cant hear wht he is missing! But he bought this setup in the early 80's when these speakers first hit the market and he heard better then. I think Bose does better in smaller towns like mine that does not have a better audio shop or have people knowledgeable in audio that live there. My father is very smart in basic electronics but other than a couple of people this area does not have knowledgeable audio people in any sort of abundance in it. In fact almost all the people that visit my home only know the basic audio video products in my system. The JVC,Yamaha,JBL, But enything that does not make smaller products that are not audiophile stuff like Paradigm and Adcom they have never even heard of. I think thats part of their success as well. Bose seems to take advantage of people's ignorance of what can be had in audio today. they setup an area and have nothing else around them to compare them to because they know if there were they would sound bland in comparison. IN MY OPINION I WOULD AGREE WITH THE OTHERS on this forum and go B&W and leave Bose to the audio uneducated that feed into the hype.

dakatabg
10-24-2009, 10:03 AM
so go with the B&W speakers

theebadone
10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
For a high end, 2 channel set-up, I wouldnt even consider bose. Butt for a home surround sound, bose makes a great, easy to set up and use system. Their lifestyle systems sound pretty decent to my ears, a little expensive, but bose makes it very easy to use for people who are audio deficient.

Mingus
10-26-2009, 12:29 PM
The in-laws budget for the speakers is around the $2000-2500 range. They really like the B & W based on their reputation. The Bose recomendation is from their dentist and at a demo at the Bose store.

nightflier
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
How about:

Monotor Audio Radius (http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/radius-hd)

They come in several colors and look very nice & Bose-like, but with a much better pedigree.

There is also:

Gallo Acoustics (http://www.roundsound.com)

That will be an even higher-quality speaker, and has both the wow factor and the brand-name recognition.

markw
10-26-2009, 01:54 PM
The in-laws budget for the speakers is around the $2000-2500 range. They really like the B & W based on their reputation. The Bose recomendation is from their dentist and at a demo at the Bose store.Take them to some demos of a "real" HT system. As for your dentist, tell him to stick what he knows best. hint: it ain't audio. It may be style anf falling for hyperbole, but it ain't audio.

RGA
10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Bose (Better Off with Something Else)

Geoffcin
10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
The in-laws budget for the speakers is around the $2000-2500 range. They really like the B & W based on their reputation. The Bose recomendation is from their dentist and at a demo at the Bose store.

Great! In that price range you cannot only get a good speaker, but a good value too. Let's move on to the next parameter before making any suggestions:

I assume that the inlaws aren't into bass heavy techno or hip-hop? If so then you probably don't need a set that can output a lot of low bass. This will help a lot on the cost of the system. In most speaker lines the price points are determined on how much and at what quality you get in bass response. If you can settle for a little less lower bass you can usually get a great pair of speakers with the same tweeter/midrange drivers as the much more expensive ones.

Next we have to look at room size. If the room is a large one then your going to have to consider that into what output the speakers are capable of. Very few people listen to music at over 95dB. I would put this as the minimum maximum dB that you should be able to achieve in your room without distortion. (If your inlaws are into "Death Metal" you might want to put this numer at 105dB!) Most speakers, even little monitors can achieve this (95db) is a modest room, but if the set has to fill a 24' X 36" space then you might need speakers with a higher maximum output. This will also cost.

Once you know what is most likely to be played on them, plus the size of the room they will be in you will be well on the way to making an informed decision.

BallinWithNash
10-26-2009, 06:49 PM
bose is a four letter word around here hahaha that was hilarious

theebadone
10-27-2009, 05:42 AM
If the better speaker companieslike B&W, PARADIGM, KLIPSCH, made a home theatre in a box outfit like bose does, they would be in trouble. The thing that makes bose so attractive to people, is the speakers with matched sub and matched source, and of course their size. I hate to admit it, but i have one of the lifestyle systems myself, which does duty in the living room. The speakers are small and easy to hide, the dvd/tuner, is small and easy to hide also. The biggest piece is the sub, but not so big that its hard to camouflage also. In a small place the lifestyle system is tough to beat, buttt I spent over 2k on something that is not upgradable, and its a proprietary system. Meaning you can only use the acoustimass speakers with this system,and only the bose sub. So if they buy the bose, they get what they see and thats it, no upgrades possible. On the plus side, bose does have a great customer service department, they are very helpful and theres no computers to deal with, just real people. just my .02 cents good luck

Geoffcin
10-27-2009, 06:10 AM
OK, my choice in this price range is narrowed down to one system only. The Axiom The Epic Grand Master 500. I reviewed this system several years ago, and in it's price range It's a stand out performer. Here's a link to me review;

http://www.audioreview.com/AXIOMSURROUNDcrx.aspx

Geoffcin
10-27-2009, 07:08 AM
My educated guess is that the inlaws aren't going to need the extra bass output of the 500 series, so you could easily used the more moderately priced "Epic Grand Master" with the smaller sub. Even with the smaller sub the system will provide realistic home theater sound.

3db
10-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Wow

I never seen a spread of sound quality like that.

Mingus
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
These are very good suggestions. The bass output is not the main factor in choosing the speakers thought they both like heavy action movies. Their music taste tend to be in the mellow side. The room size is modest is at 20' x 15'. In the past I try to convince them on Paradigm. Since that's what I have - Studio 60s, Studio Center and Atoms' for the rear and Velodyne Sub.

Mingus
10-27-2009, 11:01 AM
For Bose, I am not too impress with their products. I'll have to admit the Bose store has very friendly people around with pretty good set ups and demos. The only product from Bose that I would consider is their ipod docking station.

Geoffcin
10-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I like Paradigm a lot too. I heard their top of the line reference series at HT2005 and that had to be one of the best HT systems I've ever heard. The problem with Paradigm is that you can really get lost putting together a system from them, as they make so many levels of speakers. I like the fact that Axiom has dedicated themselves strictly toward Home Theater and you can see exactly how the progression of the systems go. At the 2k price point for a total system I think Axiom holds an edge.

nightflier
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Not to jump on the Bose bash-wagon, but it's always fun to go to a Bose showroom and give the sales rep a little education. I did this last here in Newport beach in their Fashion Island location (some of us refer to it as Fascist Island). If you do go back to the Bose store, here's some fun activities, especially when the store is crowded with other would-be victims:

- Insist on getting specs on the speakers
- Bring ads from competing brands (with specs)
- Bring your own music (Massive Attack is a great band to push Boses to their limits)
- Plug up the woofer-vent and comment (loudly) how tinny the speakers sound
- Ask what the cones are made of
- Ask what the difference is between a tweeter and a woofer
- Ask how such small speakers can put out big sound
- Ask how to add your own subwoofer
- Ask why the price is so high by pointing out the plastic construction
- Comment on how many people work in the store and how expensive the decor seems
- Ask if you can bring in your own system to "compare"

If you still haven't been kicked out of the store, ask how you can start your own Bose reseller store, after all, the profit margin must be huge....

Hyfi
10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Not to jump on the Bose bash-wagon, but it's always fun to go to a Bose showroom and give the sales rep a little education. I did this last here in Newport beach in their Fashion Island location (some of us refer to it as Fascist Island). If you do go back to the Bose store, here's some fun activities, especially when the store is crowded with other would-be victims:

- Insist on getting specs on the speakers
- Bring ads from competing brands (with specs)
- Bring your own music (Massive Attack is a great band to push Boses to their limits)
- Plug up the woofer-vent and comment (loudly) how tinny the speakers sound
- Ask what the cones are made of
- Ask what the difference is between a tweeter and a woofer
- Ask how such small speakers can put out big sound
- Ask how to add your own subwoofer
- Ask why the price is so high by pointing out the plastic construction
- Comment on how many people work in the store and how expensive the decor seems
- Ask if you can bring in your own system to "compare"

If you still haven't been kicked out of the store, ask how you can start your own Bose reseller store, after all, the profit margin must be huge....

That was pretty funny! Try that in Best Buy too and listen for the crickets as the sales rep goes silent as he does not know the dif between a woofer and a tweeter either.

Also above someone mentioned how great the customer service was. In my experience, companies with a crappy product usually have to have better CS in order to deal with all the issues. Logitech is one of them. The 880 remote is one horrid unit with known design flaws but the service I got with 3 replacements and then a refurbed Harmony one was stellar.

So would you rather have a great product where you never need the sub par service, or a crappy item but the people you talk to are so nice? I'll take the firs choice.

Invader3k
10-28-2009, 05:25 AM
As a former Bose store employee (yes, I'll admit it), I'll say that Bose does a really good job educating their brick & mortar employees. There's constant re-education on new technologies too, believe it or not. They also do a really good job with their demos and explaining how their products work to the average (i.e. non-audiophile) customer. I can also say their customer service is excellent (most of the time), and they do a great job standing behind their warranties. They also have a generous return/exchange policy (at least they did when I was still there, which was more than five years ago).

Bose doesn't cater to the hardcore audiophile market. They make products that looks nice and work easily. I don't know why more manufacturers don't try to match the ease of use of the Lifestyle systems.

That said, they do often use inferior materials in their products. Compare the construction of some of their speakers to competitors in similar price ranges. It's kind of a joke. Bose basically got out of the floorstander market completely because they just didn't hold a candle to anything similar in the market, IMHO. They also haven't updated their marquee 901 speakers in many years, which is sort of a shame. It's too bad because they really do have a top notch engineering staff at their headquarters, from what I understand. If they really wanted to, I think they could make a high quality premium speaker that could hold its own. They just aren't interested in that market anymore.

Anyway, back to the original topic. The B&W speakers will almost certainly sound better than the Bose. The Bose are probably easier to hide. It all depends on what is most important to the buyer.

nightflier
10-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Bose doesn't cater to the hardcore audiophile market.

That certainly isn't how the product is advertised. They claim that their "systems" are the best money can buy at their price points, and the sales reps never tire of speaking about the "great sound" of their "systems."

they really do have a top notch engineering staff at their headquarters

That I can't believe. It think this should be reworded as: "they really do have the absolute best marketing staff in the industry, at their headquarters."

Try that in Best Buy too and listen for the crickets as the sales rep goes silent as he does not know the dif between a woofer and a tweeter either.

Believe it or not, I was talking with a young & and very hip sales rep with unusually high spiked hair at Magnolia less than a month ago and he didn't know what a planar speaker was. Funny thing, he was standing right in front of a pair of Martin Logans. When I explained what it was to him, he thought he was being smart and came right back with: "Martin Logan is the only planar speaker available anywhere" (using the term I just explained to him). There was a brief pause, and then I asked him for his business card. So he immediately presented one with fancy flip card dispenser he had at the ready in his pocket, and he probably thought he might get a sale out of this. I asked him for a pen and wrote www.magnepan.com on the back of it and handed it back. He asked me what it was, and I told him to just check it out. I thanked him very much and walked out.

Invader3k
10-28-2009, 11:08 AM
"the best money can buy."

I really doubt Bose uses phrasing like that in any of their marketing materials.

"great sound".

"Great" is a subjective term. It's a statement of opinion, not fact.

I never visisted their HQ, but I have heard from other people (both when I was working for the company and from people on other internet forums) that they actually have a pretty amazing engineering crew. I mean, this is a huge international company...really that hard to believe they have competent people working for them?

Their marketing department is certainly excellent. I agree with you there.

Mingus
10-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Just heard from in-laws. It seems that the wife insist on the Bose because of those cute little cubes that could be hidden away. Now, they are in a bind. They don't know what to get.

nightflier
10-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Mingus, show them the Gallo speakers, they are small, cute, and curvaceous.

nightflier
10-29-2009, 03:46 PM
"the best money can buy.... I really doubt Bose uses phrasing like that in any of their marketing materials."

I heard the sales rep say those exact words.

"Great" is a subjective term. It's a statement of opinion, not fact.

The sales rep also used "awesome, fantastic, superior" and "better than anything else out there." I guess he was a bit overzealous that day.

I never visisted their HQ, but I have heard from other people (both when I was working for the company and from people on other internet forums) that they actually have a pretty amazing engineering crew. I mean, this is a huge international company...really that hard to believe they have competent people working for them?

Not so hard to believe at all. You don't need good engineers to market a mediocre product - actually that's a waste of talent, no? And if they do have "amazing" engineers, they aren't working very hard, then. Anyhow, isn't most of what's inside those "systems" just made in China and shipped over here for assembly?

Sorry, but I took a very long look at what they were selling last time I was there. It's lightweight, easy to push in, crack, damage, bend and break, and I won't even start on the sound. For those people that have heard better, and I'll grant you not too many people have, there is very little redeeming value in the products, especially at those outrageous prices. Bose keeps plastic companies in business, and that's about it. But what is so insulting is that they make a business of duping customers into paying far too much for inferior quality and sound - it's a con-job, and from my perspective that is deplorable and bordering on criminal.

Geoffcin
10-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Just heard from in-laws. It seems that the wife insist on the Bose because of those cute little cubes that could be hidden away. Now, they are in a bind. They don't know what to get.

I think your first line says it all. When the choice comes down to "what the wife insists on" that leaves little room for discussion about quality.

FWIW, the better choice for "hidden away" is in-wall speakers. I used in wall speakers for my rear centers in my 7.1 system. While not optimal in location compared to a floorstander or standmount speakers, you can get very high quality speakers for in wall applications.

B&W even makes them; http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1602

dakatabg
10-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Mingus just go get the B&W speakers. You won't regret it!

manlystanley
10-30-2009, 02:31 AM
I have a pair of BOSE 201's in my kitchen alcove. Further, there is a set of cabinets directly above and a built in desk about a foot below them. So, it's terrible place to put a speaker. But the Bose 201's sounds not so bad. So, the moral of the story: Take a lousy speaker, put them in a lousy location and maybe it will sound not so bad.

Invader3k
10-30-2009, 03:35 AM
*snip*

I appreciate you don't care for Bose. I'm not a big fan either. My first surround setup was a Bose system (since I worked there and got a very hefty discount), but I have since upgraded a lot. The pair of 301s I bought is currently serving in my garage as a decent background music setup. My wave radio (which I basically got for free) is serving as an alarm clock. Other than that, I don't really use their products at all. I'm not sitting here trying to defend them. I'm just saying that when you try to hold them up to audiophile standards, of course they're going to fall well short. That's not the kind of market they're trying to reach at all. Really. They appeal to consumers like the OP's mother who want something small an easy to hide, and also that is easy to use (again, something I think more companies could maybe aim for).

Anyway, like anywhere else, you have to take what any sales person says with a grain of salt.

markw
10-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Just heard from in-laws. It seems that the wife insist on the Bose because of those cute little cubes that could be hidden away. Now, they are in a bind. They don't know what to get.This is exactly how Bose sells so many systems. Styling, not price or performance.

Geoffcin
10-30-2009, 05:27 AM
They appeal to consumers like the OP's mother who want something small an easy to hide, and also that is easy to use (again, something I think more companies could maybe aim for).

That's their marketing strategy in a nutshell. Most people never get to hear a properly setup HT system in the first place, so what do they know when they get the Bose HT pitch.

While a Bose Lifesyle 48 might sound OK to people, for the same $4K I could set them up with a smokin HT system that would absolutely blow the Bose system away. Bose knows that too that's why they call it a "lifestyle" system.

It's all about hiding the fact that you have a HT with them. Mine is right out in your face, just like my audio rig. I'm not ashamed I have big speakers, nor do I find them ugly or imposing, however my wife is very understanding!

audio amateur
10-30-2009, 05:32 AM
What I don't understand is, if they don't care about sound quality, why care about surround sound at all?

markw
10-30-2009, 08:43 AM
What I don't understand is, if they don't care about sound quality, why care about surround sound at all?Because everyone else has it.

Geoffcin
10-30-2009, 09:02 AM
What I don't understand is, if they don't care about sound quality, why care about surround sound at all?

Sound quality is a trade off, and not everyone need to have state-of-the-art sound reproduction to enjoy it. Certainly HT is not all about sound quailty anyway. WAF and ergonomics also play a major factor, hense Bose's domination of the market. I can tell you that nobody sit's in my theater room and goes back to their "lifestyle" system with the same idea about what HT should sound like!

GMichael
10-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Sound quality is a trade off, and not everyone need to have state-of-the-art sound reproduction to enjoy it. Certainly HT is not all about sound quailty anyway. WAF and ergonomics also play a major factor, hense Bose's domination of the market. I can tell you that nobody sit's in my theater room and goes back to their "lifestyle" system with the same idea about what HT should sound like!

Or anywhere else in the house for that matter. Had a friend over and I played Polar Express for her kids. She was in the bathroom when the train came through. You should have seen her running into the room puller her pants up yelling, "What the h.ll was that?!" Bose won't do that for ya.

nightflier
10-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I appreciate you don't care for Bose. I'm not a big fan either. My first surround setup was a Bose system (since I worked there and got a very hefty discount), but I have since upgraded a lot. The pair of 301s I bought is currently serving in my garage as a decent background music setup. My wave radio (which I basically got for free) is serving as an alarm clock. Other than that, I don't really use their products at all. I'm not sitting here trying to defend them. I'm just saying that when you try to hold them up to audiophile standards, of course they're going to fall well short. That's not the kind of market they're trying to reach at all. Really. They appeal to consumers like the OP's mother who want something small an easy to hide, and also that is easy to use (again, something I think more companies could maybe aim for).

Anyway, like anywhere else, you have to take what any sales person says with a grain of salt.

But there is still that element of cheating the customer that I really have a problem with. Even a cute & little Athena Take surround system will sound better than the Bose system, and it will do so at a fraction of the price. At the same price point, Gallo and Monitor Audio that I mentioned above, make much better sounding systems, even if you add the cost of a receiver and player, or an all-in-one system like the NAD receivers. The point is that Bose sells by duping the consumer, and at some level that ought to be objectionable to everyone, not just the people here who know better.

I'm glad you got your Bose gear at huge discounts, you probably paid what they were worth. The trouble with that is that the duped consumers have subsidized your discount.

Geoffcin
10-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't know if I agree with that. Bose spends a lot on marketing and their ads are everywhere. They have to make that up in the price of the product. I don't think that it's "duping" anyone when they charge more. Is it a poor value? Most here would say so, but value is in the eye of the beholder. Many here would in the same breath of taking the piss out of Bose equip, spend hundreds or even thousands of $$$ on exotic cables. How is that good value?

E-Stat
10-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I really doubt Bose uses phrasing like that in any of their marketing materials.
They make the same claim for the 901 using different wording. Look on their website:

"Bose® 901® Direct/Reflecting® stereo speakers bring the warmth, power and excitement of a concert hall or movie theater to your home. Only live sounds better."

Only live and three hundred and fifty two other speakers available on the market.

I never visisted their HQ...
You've never been to The Mountain?

I gave a presentation at a nearby hotel and decided to drive to the top to see the facility. Indeed, you drive up (a really big hill) and emerge at the top where there's a guard. Nice looking, but dated building.

I mean, this is a huge international company...really that hard to believe they have competent people working for them?
Are you expecting a fully decked out lab with Wilson Alexandrias and Nola Grand References there for comparison purposes?

Their marketing department is certainly excellent. I agree with you there.
That is their core competency.

rw

Geoffcin
10-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Let's not let the thread drift guys. It's bad enough that the poor guy doesn't have a solution for his wife's insistence on a Bose system. There's no reason to rub it in how poor a value the Bose system is.

Luvin Da Blues
10-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Let's not let the thread drift guys. It's bad enough that the poor guy doesn't have a solution for his wife's insistence on a Bose system. There's no reason to rub it in how poor a value the Bose system is.

Well, he could go with the Bose for the wife and get a good set of cans for more discerning listening.

Geoffcin
10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, he could go with the Bose for the wife and get a good set of cans for more discerning listening.

OY! I wonder if anyone actually reads the OP, or follows the thread?

It's not about "discerning listening". Certainly a good set of headphones would help with that. The question is how to argue against Bose vs. B&W (or similar) to a wife that insists on having a small hidden HT system, ala Bose.

JoeE SP9
10-31-2009, 08:48 AM
I hope the OP doesn't get offended by the following remarks.

How far are males expected to compromise? You can't have a decent stereo because the wife doesn't like it. You can't have a decent HT because the wife doesn't like it. Do you get to have anything you like? Marriage is supposed to be a partnership. When one member makes all the household decisions what kind of partnership is that?

Someone had to say it.

markw
10-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I hope the OP doesn't get offended by the following remarks.

How far are males expected to compromise? You can't have a decent stereo because the wife doesn't like it. You can't have a decent HT because the wife doesn't like it. Do you get to have anything you like? Marriage is supposed to be a partnership. When one member makes all the household decisions what kind of partnership is that?

Someone had to say it.In a marrige, one should chose their battles carefully, particularly considering this is not even the OP's battle or decision. It's his in-laws

blackraven
10-31-2009, 11:26 AM
I would rather do 4 pairs of good in wall speakers and a cube sub and center channel than do bose. But the simplicity of bose is hard to argue with if sound quality is not that important. Lets be honest, most of the general public is not as fanatical as we are about audio. Many people that have a HTIB are satisfied with what they have. Just like many people are satisfied with mp3 and IPOD's.

JoeE SP9
10-31-2009, 12:08 PM
In a marrige, one should chose their battles carefully, particularly considering this is not even the OP's battle or decision. It's his in-laws

I realize it's the in-laws who have the issue. My comment still stands. I believe it relates to any couple in any marriage. The current issue (Bose vs B&W) is merely one small example. To reiterate. If one partner does all the compromising what kind of partnership is it.

markw
10-31-2009, 12:19 PM
I realize it's the in-laws who have the issue. My comment still stands. I believe it relates to any couple in any marriage. The current issue (Bose vs B&W) is merely one small example. To reiterate. If one partner does all the compromising what kind of partnership is it.Perhps, but my tke on this whole situation is that the in-laws got two conflicting ideas on what's "the best" for their situation and that sound quality isn't as high on their scale as it is ours. My take is that they would be happier with the simplicity of Bose system, particularly if they're talking a whole system.

Those "Lifestyle" systems my be expensive and not the last word in sound, but their "cuteness" and human interface is second to none. Remember, the Mercury Grand Marquis may be a bloated, underhandling, gas-guzzling, dinosur of a car, but quite a few still buy 'em and love 'em.

In either case, OP should be wary about talking them into making a decision based on his requirements instead of theirs.

blackraven
10-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Well said MarkW, I couldn't agree more with your above post.

JoeE SP9
11-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Perhps, but my tke on this whole situation is that the in-laws got two conflicting ideas on what's "the best" for their situation and that sound quality isn't as high on their scale as it is ours. My take is that they would be happier with the simplicity of Bose system, particularly if they're talking a whole system.

Those "Lifestyle" systems my be expensive and not the last word in sound, but their "cuteness" and human interface is second to none. Remember, the Mercury Grand Marquis may be a bloated, underhandling, gas-guzzling, dinosur of a car, but quite a few still buy 'em and love 'em.

In either case, OP should be wary about talking them into making a decision based on his requirements instead of theirs.

I think you are missing my main point. It's not just about speaker choices. It's about one member of a "partnership" doing all the compromising. I see and hear about this regularly. With stereo and/or HT gear It usually comes down to, "My wife won't let me (fill in the blanks) in the house/living room". This also applies to cars, guns motorcycles and a myriad of other things a "man" might want.

We may not hear about it a lot on this forum as most of the posters here have made some sort of reasonable compromise with their SO. However, when referring to friends and acquaintances I'm sure many of you know exactly what I talking about. My point and question is and was, "When one side does all the compromising, is there a partnership or a dictatorship"?

markw
11-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I think you are missing my main point. It's not just about speaker choices. It's about one member of a "partnership" doing all the compromising. I see and hear about this regularly. With stereo and/or HT gear It usually comes down to, "My wife won't let me (fill in the blanks) in the house/living room". This also applies to cars, guns motorcycles and a myriad of other things a "man" might want.

We may not hear about it a lot on this forum as most of the posters here have made some sort of reasonable compromise with their SO. However, when referring to friends and acquaintances I'm sure many of you know exactly what I talking about. My point and question is and was, "When one side does all the compromising, is there a partnership or a dictatorship"?What makes you think he's doing all the compromising? Maybe he really isn't that picky about the sound and simply doesn't care that much. So, why should he whip out his manhood just to make a point

Remember that thing I said about choosing ones battles carefully?

And, no, I don't see too many of my friends that can't reach an amicable compromise most of the time. If they can't, then they usually end up divorcing each other.

Mingus
11-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I saw my in-laws on Halloween and the wife has agreed not to go with Bose. Apparently, she heard about Bose from her friends. So, they will looks for a better option. She doesn't like my setup (Paradigm) with so many black boxes. I mention to them about the in-walls, but they are not crazy about cutting thru the wall. She they will look at other options. I gave them your suggestions. They said they will check it out.

Geoffcin
11-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey guys, the thread is not to conjecture about the marital dynamics of other people. Let's keep it on topic OK?

Geoffcin
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I saw my in-laws on Halloween and the wife has agreed not to go with Bose. Apparently, she heard about Bose from her friends. So, they will looks for a better option. She doesn't like my setup (Paradigm) with so many black boxes. I mention to them about the in-walls, but they are not crazy about cutting thru the wall. She they will look at other options. I gave them your suggestions. They said they will check it out.

Well that's a good thing. A better option is always something to look for, rather than go with one that's a really bad compromise. I have little experience with smaller HT systems, but I did own Gallo's for a while (the Reference 3's) and really liked them. I also have a lot of time with Cambridge Soundworks gear. They have downsized their offerings over the last few years but the top of the line system;

[http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=hometheater&item=k1ht305s

Should smoke anything that the "B" company makes. They are also much smaller speakers than traditional "box" speakers.

blackraven
11-01-2009, 03:23 PM
If I were them, I would go 3.1 instead of 5.1 if they are worried about too many speakers. I use 3.1 for this reason. I bought a pair of B&W's for the rear channels and returned them because of too many speaker and I did not feel the benefits of 5.1 out weighed my distaste of too many speakers.

Geoffcin
11-01-2009, 03:29 PM
If I were them, I would go 3.1 instead of 5.1 if they are worried about too many speakers. I use 3.1 for this reason. I bought a pair of B&W's for the rear channels and returned them because of too many speaker and I did not feel the benefits of 5.1 out weighed my distaste of too many speakers.

That's actually really good advice. A great sounding 2.1 (or 3.1) system is a much better choice than a compromised 5.1 system. You can always add the rear speakers later.

JoeE SP9
11-01-2009, 07:36 PM
I sometimes wish RS had continued selling the Minimus 7. A couple of those and a sub woofer can be set up unobtrusively. They also sound quite good considering their size. They would be easy to recommend for those who want something small. Is there anything comparable being sold today?

markw
11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
The in-laws just got a new Sony 32" 1080P set. They are looking for a set of home theatre speakers. Their preference is either Bose or B&W. Which is more appropriate.Mingus, are they looking for a whole system or just speakers? Unless they have external speaker outputs on the back of the TV, I'm pretty sure they will need a receiver to power them.

poppachubby
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm with mark on this one, the OP doesn't give too much detail. Maybe I should have read every post. Anyhow, I'm no HT pro, but it seems to me if they have no way of processing true digital sound, they should go minimal with the speakers, 2.1 for sure. Why bother with 5.1 for analog sound?

Geoffcin
11-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Dudes, the OP gave a budget of $2-2.5k. You would think a receiver would fit on a budget like that?

markw
11-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Dudes, the OP gave a budget of $2-2.5k. You would think a receiver would fit on a budget like that?I guess then the revceiver issue has already been answerd then. I'll assume the 2-2.5 k is all for speakers and a sub.

They can get pretty much whatver looks pretty to them.

Hyfi
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
B&W does a wonderful mini HT speaker package. I have heard a system using the M1s

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=821

Mingus
11-03-2009, 05:00 AM
Their budget of $2000 to $2500 is for the speaker and sub. They already have the receiver and DVD player. After the speakers they plan to buy a blu-ray player. Thanks for the feedback.

audio amateur
11-03-2009, 10:52 AM
How about Orb audio? Their marketing is as good as Bose:D
I don't have any experience with them but they might be worth checking out!
http://www.orbaudio.com/

nightflier
11-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Their budget of $2000 to $2500 is for the speaker and sub. They already have the receiver and DVD player. After the speakers they plan to buy a blu-ray player. Thanks for the feedback.

Then getting a Bose system is overkill, since it will include a receiver & player, which they already have.

blackraven
11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I would consider the NHT verve 5.1 system http://store.nhthifi.com/s.nl/sc.12/category.1211/.f

Energy Take 5.1 http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/energy-take-classic-5/4505-7868_7-33310963.htmlT

Boston Acoustics 5.1 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586686-REG/Boston_Acoustics_CS2310B_CS2310B_5_1_Channel_Home_ Theater.html#specifications

But I still think that they would be happier with a good 3.1 system if there is still the concern about the number of speakers.

A pair of B&W 686's, 685's or even the floor standing 684's along with a B&W center and a small sub like the velodyne mini or Def Tech cube would make a very nice system.

Mingus
11-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey, thanks for the very good suggestions. My in-laws still could not decide what to do but definitely not Bose. They always took their time to decide on things. In the meantime, I lend them my Boston Acoustics Subsat 6 (a 3 piece system) for them to use until they decide.

audio amateur
11-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Hey, thanks for the very good suggestions. My in-laws still could not decide what to do but definitely not Bose. They always took their time to decide on things. In the meantime, I lend them my Boston Acoustics Subsat 6 (a 3 piece system) for them to use until they decide.
It's good to take some time to decide on these kind of purchases, especially when they involve a certain amount of $$. You've got a wealth of suggestions here anyway:thumbsup: