Revenge of the Fallen on Bluray disc [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Fallen on Bluray disc

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-22-2009, 08:50 AM
My dealer(no drugs folks) sent me a nice package yesterday, and in it was Wizard of Oz, and Tranformers:Revenge of the Fallen. My boys wanted me to save Wizard so we can all watch it together, but I sat down in my newly expanded small home theater(thanks to this movie) to watch this flick, and I was impressed.

It looks like Bay has refined the look of the characters from the first Transformers, and the characters look more fluid and life like than in the previous movie. The script can be a bit lame, and is often filled with jokes that fall flat as a pancake. However the action sequences more than take up the slack, and they are truly a sight to behold.

The picture quality on this disc is probably the best I have seen on this format. Featuring images framed in a 2:39:1 aspect ratio, you can literally reach into the screen and touch the characters the images are so fine. Aside from the overall sunburn look on some faces (likely artistic intent), the transparency of the images is astounding. 50 minutes into the picture, the frame opens up into a IMAX size image of 1:78:1 during a decepticon battle in a wooded forest, and it is breathtaking. The lion's share of the movie is in the original 2:39:1 aspect ratio, and that makes the open frame look just that much more dramatic. The picture quality is surely as reference as one can find on any Blu-ray disc.

Revenge of the Fallen features an energetic Dts-HD Master Audio 5.1 track that pounds the room into sand. From the fantastic opening credit sequence which features the Paramount stars whooshing from back to front, accompanied by the effective use of crunching metal and a deep low end growl designed to warm us up for the action ahead. This track makes extremely effective use of the surrounds, with effects zipping from one surround channel to the next. For those of you with 7.1 sound systems, engaging the rear decoding heightens, and smoothen's the surround effect giving it more depth and stability. This track is as realistic sounding as the picture looks - from dialog echo returns off walls in caves, to foreground and background explosions in the desert sequence. You are completely immersed in the robot battles, with sound effects exploding from every channel, and from all directions including from behind. The bass in this flick will iron out wrinkles in your pants, push your stomach to your back, and shake your floor boards at the fury of the below 20hz violence emanating from your sub. If you subwoofer is a sissy, take it to the Castro or Chelsea district, because it has no place else to go with this track.

If you are into extras, there is plenty to be found on the second disc. I am still looking at them, as there is almost as much material time wise as the movie itself.

I really like action flicks, and Transformer delivers big time. For those that rent, put it in your Netflix que. For the collectors, this is a must buy, and the deals out there are off the hook.

recoveryone
10-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I made my comments on another thread, but I repeat it hear also. You will need to make sure your dental plan is up to speed, cause this Blu Ray is super sweet and will cause visual and audio cavities in your mind. TT hit the nail on the head in his review, there are parts in this film that will cause you to feel as if it is 3D. One more hint, don't watch this late at night, you will wake everyone up from the HD-DTS sound track.

BE WARN!!!!!!!!

Smokey
10-22-2009, 08:52 PM
The picture quality on this disc is probably the best I have seen on this format. Featuring images framed in a 2:39:1 aspect ratio, you can literally reach into the screen and touch the characters the images are so fine. Aside from the overall sunburn look on some faces (likely artistic intent), the transparency of the images is astounding. 50 minutes into the picture, the frame opens up into a IMAX size image of 1:78:1 during a decepticon battle in a wooded forest, and it is breathtaking. The lion's share of the movie is in the original 2:39:1 aspect ratio, and that makes the open frame look just that much more dramatic. The picture quality is surely as reference as one can find on any Blu-ray disc.

Revenge of the Fallen features an energetic Dts-HD Master Audio 5.1 track that pounds the room into sand. From the fantastic opening credit sequence which features the Paramount stars whooshing from back to front, accompanied by the effective use of crunching metal and a deep low end growl designed to warm us up for the action ahead. This track makes extremely effective use of the surrounds, with effects zipping from one surround channel to the next. For those of you with 7.1 sound systems, engaging the rear decoding heightens, and smoothen's the surround effect giving it more depth and stability. This track is as realistic sounding as the picture looks - from dialog echo returns off walls in caves, to foreground and background explosions in the desert sequence. You are completely immersed in the robot battles, with sound effects exploding from every channel, and from all directions including from behind. The bass in this flick will iron out wrinkles in your pants, push your stomach to your back, and shake your floor boards at the fury of the below 20hz violence emanating from your sub. If you subwoofer is a sissy, take it to the Castro or Chelsea district, because it has no place else to go with this track.

Now this what I'm talking about when rating disc's picture and sound quality.

Thanks for your time.

Mr Peabody
10-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I totally agree, a reference Blu-ray disc for both audio and video.

My SVS sub is awesome, it handled all the low end program with perfect control and detail. The percussion felt during some of the sceens was incredible. The movie definitely uses all surround speakers. There's a couple places where you even get some around the room effect.

Can't add much to what has already been said but I don't like the way some of the characters were given sort of a personality change. In the first movie Optimus was humble and distinguished I thought, in the second he was made to be receiving a bit of enjoyment from the fighting, some what arrogant and actually says "punk ass". Maybe this was the effect of hanging out with U.S. military :) Also, it's not like Transformers is non-fiction but the whole dieing and coming back to life thing messes this movie up and for it to happen to two characters is just too much. Effective use of tasers though. :) I also wonder why they went to so much trouble to drag the parents into so many sceens. Most of which I could have lived without seeing. Any way now that's off my chest, none of it will probably make a difference because it's all filler to get to the good stuff, THE ACTION, and it's so stimulating the rest won't matter at the time.