One all-time favourite song [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : One all-time favourite song

ForeverAutumn
10-21-2009, 06:09 AM
I was just listening to the radio at work and Manfred Mann's version of Blinded by the Light came on. As I was grooving and singing along, I was also thinking about how much I have always loved this song. Everytime I hear it is a treat to my ears and I don't think that I could ever get sick of it.

I'm not going to ask for your "favourite song" because, if you're like me, you'll have more than one. And how you answer may depend on many factors. So just name one. Name one of your all-time favourites. A song that treats your ears and makes the world feel right every time you hear it.

poppachubby
10-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Impossible, there's no answer to this question.

ForeverAutumn
10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Impossible, there's no answer to this question.

Read my post. I acknowledged that. Just name one off your long list of favourites. Surely, there's at least one song that when you hear it you just lean back and say, "oh yeah, that's a great song".

Stone
10-21-2009, 07:38 AM
The Left Banke - "Walk Away Renee"
The Only Ones - "Another Girl, Another Planet"

These two consistently come to mind when I consider what my favorite songs are.

dean_martin
10-21-2009, 07:39 AM
First song that popped into my head:

"Godzilla" - Blue Oyster Cult

Troy
10-21-2009, 07:55 AM
TVC15- David Bowie. Always makes me smile.

Mr MidFi
10-21-2009, 08:00 AM
"Shot in the Arm" by Wilco
"Words Falling Down" by EIEIO
"Nowhere Again" by The Secret Machines
"HarborCoat" by REM
"Shesmovedon" by Porky Tree
"Backstreets" by Springsteen
"Peace Love & Understanding" by Elvis C.
"Bad" by U2
"Firth of Fifth" or "Squonk" by Genesis
"Let Down" by Radiohead

That's the first 10 to pop into my mind.

Hyfi
10-21-2009, 08:13 AM
'I'd Love to Change the World' by Ten Years After
'Ripples' by Genesis
'Europa' by Santana

Luvin Da Blues
10-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Following Hyfi's lead.....Santana's "Black Magic Woman"

audio amateur
10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Massive Attack's 'Unfinished Sympathy'

poppachubby
10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
ok I'll bite, Sir Duke-Stevie Wonder........always makes me happy...

Ex Lion Tamer
10-21-2009, 10:03 AM
'I'd Love to Change the World' by Ten Years After

That's one that I could pick...

Here's three off the top of my head;

"Hush" - Deep Purple
"Get Off of My Cloud" The Stones
"Dear Mr. Fantasy" Traffic

3LB
10-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon
LedZeppelin - Fool In The Rain
Rush - Available Light
ELO - Do Ya
Yes - Awaken
Transatlantic - All Of The Above
DCFC - Soul Meets body
Wilco - Jesus, etc
Porky Tree - Trains
Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless
Camel - Lady Fantasy
Marillion - Don't Hurt Yourself

OK - if I gots to pick one for now...its Trains by Porcupine Tree. One of their most sublime songs, its lyrics talk of longing for youth passed by, while Wilson & co mixes acoustic guitar, drum pattern and keyboard ambience to conjure up the sound of a passing frieght train (not as corny as I just described it).

Troy
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Jesus . . . Rhiannon? Really?

Troy
10-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Wake Up- XTC

Troy
10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Hide Your Love Away- The BeAtles

Troy
10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Sandwiches of You- Godley and Creme

GMichael
10-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Comfortably Numb
Love the ending. Talk about pouring your feelings into your work!

GMichael
10-21-2009, 11:01 AM
My second vote goes to Cinderella Man.

noddin0ff
10-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Seamus: Pink Floyd (Meddle)

All is right with the world when I hear this one. Happy. Sad. Taking life too seriously, or not seriously enough. 2 minutes, 17 seconds of escape.

ForeverAutumn
10-21-2009, 12:05 PM
My second vote goes to Cinderella Man.

Tom Sawyer does it for me.

3LB
10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Jesus . . . Rhiannon? Really?

please, call me Todd...

:smilewinkgrin:

GMichael
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Tom Sawyer does it for me.

T.....
M....
I......

:ihih:

nightflier
10-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Sorry if this sounds a little corny, but our wedding song just finished playing on the radio, so I thought I'd throw that out there. Anyhow, this discussion is getting way to rock-heavy:

India Arie - Can I Walk With You

Slosh
10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Classic: Born on the Bayou - CCR
Modern: Native Numb - Enon

Yeah, that works. :)

Hey FA, no likey the original version of Blinded? :confused:

GMichael
10-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry if this sounds a little corny, but our wedding song just finished playing on the radio, so I thought I'd throw that out there. Anyhow, this discussion is getting way to rock-heavy:

India Arie - Can I Walk With You

Funny, they played, Another One Bites The Dust at mine.

ForeverAutumn
10-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey FA, no likey the original version of Blinded? :confused:

I've only heard it a couple of times and I didn't think much of it. But I've never been a fan of Springsteen's vocals. I think that he's a great song writer though.

Smokey
10-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Don Mclean's Castle In The Air.

recoveryone
10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
One Nation Under a Groove-Parliament

Jamaica Funk-Tom Brown

Say you love me-DJ Rogers

Voodoo child-Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy B
10-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Ive seen all good people Yes
Moonlit prayer Micheal McDermott
Master blaster jamin Stevie Wonder

3LB
10-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I never cared for Springsteen's version of 'Blinded'

but add Kitty's Back to my fave list

ForeverAutumn
10-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Ive seen all good people Yes

That's on my list too. :yesnod:

Mr MidFi
10-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Add "Save It for Later" by the English Beat to my list. It shuffled up for me on the drive in this morning.

Luvin Da Blues
10-22-2009, 05:38 AM
I was talking about this briefly with the girl friend last night. Her first reaction was....

Bob Dylan's - Workingman's Blues #2 (Modern Times, 2006)

nobody
10-22-2009, 05:49 AM
That version of blinded reminds me of one of those songs where I don't really care much about the artist in general, don't have the album, but always smile when it some on. I'm tossing out 2 in that vein...

Come A Little Bit Closer - Jay & the Americans

and

Brandy - Looking Glass

Couple story songs that I always love hearing randomly...and always say I'm gonna pick up copies of but never do, although I do know a few jukeboxes with both for when I absolutely need a fix.

Stone
10-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Brandy - Looking Glass

I don't own this one either, but every time I hear the word Brandy the song comes to mind, which just happened a couple days ago. I (unfortunately for my family) sang out loud how she's a fine girl.

3LB
10-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Brandy? now that's cheesed...but I admit to liking that song more than I should - reminds me of another '70s cheese classic, Dancing In The Moonlight.

"everybody here is outta sight, they don't bark and they don't bite"

MasterCylinder
10-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Siberian Khatru / And You And I -- YES
Eight Days a Week -- BEATLES
Strawberry Fields Forever -- BEATLES
Sofa -- ZAPPA
Breathe -- FLOYD
Blackest Eyes -- PORKY
Highway Star -- PURPLE
Dancing Madly Backwards -- BEYOND
Sacrificed Sons -- DT

rob7
10-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Hallowed Be Thy Name-Iron Maiden
Wish You Were Here-Floyd
Angry Again-Megadeth

No 'Hotel California' yet? Or did I miss it?

3LB
10-23-2009, 07:29 AM
No 'Hotel California' yet? Or did I miss it?

Now now....I like me some Eagles. I understand why everyone be so tired of them, but I still whip out Desperado (the album) every now and then. Great album...a concept album at that. I made me a comp of non-hit Eagle tunes and I listen to that every now and then. They made some great albums - never a bad one. But popularity to their degree gets tiresome - they could fart into a microphone and critics would fawn all over them for it. And they still get massive ink everytime two of them are seen at the same Dairy Queen or 7-11...enough already.

Fave Eagles tune - Is It True? Bernie Leadon on vox and Don Felder's prodigious slide guitar.

tentoze
10-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Cell Phones Ringing (In The Pockets Of The Dead)- Willie Nile

rob7
10-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm admittedly a casual Eagle listener. My dad would play a couple of their albums when I was a kid and I thought some of it was cool. I agree with you, 3LB--I don't get all mushy when I hear their stuff on the radio in the car or at work or whatever. But when I'm in the mood, I'll chase the kids outside and enjoy a nice, mellow Eagles song block on my system. That's when it's bliss.

Swish
10-26-2009, 07:09 AM
I understand why everyone can be so tired, but I still whip it out every now and then.

Really.

Swishdaddy

Swish
10-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Great song with a story, and acoustic prowess that must be seen to be believed. Pure genius.

Feanor
10-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I was just listening to the radio at work and Manfred Mann's version of Blinded by the Light came on. As I was grooving and singing along, I was also thinking about how much I have always loved this song. Everytime I hear it is a treat to my ears and I don't think that I could ever get sick of it.

I'm not going to ask for your "favourite song" because, if you're like me, you'll have more than one. And how you answer may depend on many factors. So just name one. Name one of your all-time favourites. A song that treats your ears and makes the world feel right every time you hear it.

Do oratorio arias count? If so, I love I know that My Redeemer Liveth from Handel's Messiah. Listen to an excerpt HERE (http://www.ody.ca/~wbailey/I_Know_That_My_Redeemer_Liveth.mp3) ... sorry, only 100 kbps for avoid copywrite infringement.

I love this aria because it's gorgeous; believe me, not because I'm religious.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/cf/76/c809b2c008a01e9be42a5010.L.jpg

Mr MidFi
10-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Great song with a story, and acoustic prowess that must be seen to be believed. Pure genius.

Wow, that's psychic. I just heard this one this morning. Agree, it's an all-time great tune!

Swish
10-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Wow, that's psychic. I just heard this one this morning. Agree, it's an all-time great tune!

Unbelievable. I mean, there's a lot of good stuff on it, but this is the one I skip to whenever I want to knock someone's socks off, and it never fails.

Mr MidFi
10-27-2009, 05:46 AM
Unbelievable. I mean, there's a lot of good stuff on it, but this is the one I skip to whenever I want to knock someone's socks off, and it never fails.

No, I haven't seen that one. Sounds like maybe I should, though.

Speaking of Thompson... Los Lobos' cover of "Shoot Out the Lights" just played a few songs ago. Another cool tune.

Finch Platte
10-27-2009, 01:00 PM
...but I still whip out Desperado (the album) every now and then.

Glad you clarified that. :lol:

BallinWithNash
11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Photograph by Def Leppard
Her Diamonds by Rob Thomas
3AM or Push by MB20
Enter Sandman by Metallica
Run to The Hills by Maiden
Breathe by Taylor Swift
Forever and Always by Taylor Swift
Stranger Inside by Shinedown
Tell Me Why Taylor Swift
Fly From Inside by Shinedown
Especially in Michigan by Red Hot Chilly Peppers
And probably my fav ... Owner of A Lonely Heart by Yes

RoadRunner6
11-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I would have sworn she said:

One all-time favourite song

Oh well, some poeple just can't follow directions or are poor at math! :biggrin5:

Here's mine after considering the famous :Pachelbel's Canon in D Major and J.S. Bach's Air on the G String, This composition by Ennio Morricon, On Earth as It Is in Heaven, is from the soundtrack of the movie Mission. (BTW, the soundtrack is marvelous!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs1st_TIlag

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cs1st_TIlag&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cs1st_TIlag&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Photograph by Def Leppard
Her Diamonds by Rob Thomas
3AM or Push by MB20
Enter Sandman by Metallica
Run to The Hills by Maiden
Breathe by Taylor Swift
Forever and Always by Taylor Swift
Stranger Inside by Shinedown
Tell Me Why Taylor Swift
Fly From Inside by Shinedown
Especially in Michigan by Red Hot Chilly Peppers
And probably my fav ... Owner of A Lonely Heart by Yes

Huh. Never thought I'd see Metallica and Taylor Swift in the same post. :D

I could easily add Run the Hills or Enter Sandman to my list.

GMichael
11-04-2009, 07:52 AM

Did you see her on CrossRoads with Def Leppard? I was in shock.:crazy:

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Did you see her on CrossRoads with Def Leppard? I was in shock.:crazy:

Cross Roads? I don't know what that is.

But, I would be suprised to see her on anything with Def Leppard. Although I have to admit that I don't know much about her...other than she seems to be very popular.

GMichael
11-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Cross Roads? I don't know what that is.

But, I would be suprised to see her on anything with Def Leppard. Although I have to admit that I don't know much about her...other than she seems to be very popular.

It's a show on cable. Not sure if it's one of the MTV's or not. Performers of one genre get on stage with a performers of another, They do a few of both their hits. She sang Photograph, while wearing a skin tight leather outfit, and gyrating like a stripper.

Worf101
11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Tough as it is I'll give you only four..

"What's Goin' On?" - Donny Hathawy "Donny Hathaway Live"

"I Know you Got Soul" - Bobby Byrd, James Brown, the JB's.

"Just Ask The Lonely" - The FourTops.

"People Get Ready" - Curtis Mayfield.

That's it, that's all I can say.

Honorable Mentions.

"These Eyes" - Guess Who.
"What Does It Take" - Junior Walker and the All Stars.
"My Girl" - Tempts.
"I Want You Back" - Jackson 5.
"Tangled Up in Blue" - Dylan
"Nowhere Man" - Da Beatles
"All Along the Watchtower" - Hendrix

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2009, 09:04 AM
It's a show on cable. Not sure if it's one of the MTV's or not. Performers of one genre get on stage with a performers of another, They do a few of both their hits. She sang Photograph, while wearing a skin tight leather outfit, and gyrating like a stripper.

Really? I thought she was supposed to portray the wholesome side of things. The Anti-Britney. Shows what I know.

I'd ask you if she sung it well, at least, but I'm guessing from your description that your eyes were paying more attention than your ears. :lol:

GMichael
11-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Really? I thought she was supposed to portray the wholesome side of things. The Anti-Britney. Shows what I know.

I'd ask you if she sung it well, at least, but I'm guessing from your description that your eyes were paying more attention than your ears. :lol:

She wasn't as bad as I expected, but not great IMO. As far as my eyes, I had trouble watching. She seems too young to me. (even though I know younger girls who I think are hot) She just seems like a child.

Auricauricle
11-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Man, FA, that's a real toughie....Here's one that always never fails to succeed in pickin' me up when I'm down....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5yle1USyhCY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5yle1USyhCY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BallinWithNash
11-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Yea I spread my music genre's way out haha .. and I thought she did just fine singing the Def Leppard stuff on crossroads ... at least my opinion..... One more All Along The Watchtower by Hendrix