2 channel audio DAC question. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 channel audio DAC question.

jaxwired
10-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Hello,
I've been chasing 2 channel audio perfection for awhile. I'm a big believer in synergy. I am finally very happy with my system. However, there is one element that I think I might be able to improve and I want opinions.
I am using a NAD C545bee CD player to feed a Benchmark DAC1. I want input regarding whether a better CDP as the transport would improve sound or make no change. I'm considering a REGA Apollo since it has sophisticated error correction functionality. Not a huge investment, but if it makes no diff, why do it... Any feedback appreciated.

poppachubby
10-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Hello,
I've been chasing 2 channel audio perfection for awhile. I'm a big believer in synergy. I am finally very happy with my system. However, there is one element that I think I might be able to improve and I want opinions.
I am using a NAD C545bee CD player to feed a Benchmark DAC1. I want input regarding whether a better CDP as the transport would improve sound or make no change. I'm considering a REGA Apollo since it has sophisticated error correction functionality. Not a huge investment, but if it makes no diff, why do it... Any feedback appreciated.

The Benchmark is an extremely sophisticated unit, professional quality. I would say in most cases a change in CDP won't necessarily improve your sound, but rather change it. A dac of the Benchmark's stature is the great equalizer. Its upsampling and oversampling capabilities would bring the NAD in close contention with the Rega I would think. The Rega would probably be better appreciated if you were connecting your CDP direct to your amp.

I'm not sure how you personally guage an improvement, but if a change is more to your ear's liking, than I guess it would qualify as an improvement. The bottom line is, the Benchmark will make just about any CDP sound great, it's doubtful any unit you input will sound "bad" or worse than. It would also depend on how sensitive your hearing is to pick up on the subtlties that the Benchmark is capable of.

You have to find the right combo that has a sound you dig.

blackraven
10-21-2009, 06:57 PM
I would keep the NAD as a transport. Don't waste your money on the Apollo.

frenchmon
10-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd have to agree with Blackraven. If there is any difference in sound, it would be very little, and not worth the money. Keep the NAD

E-Stat
10-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I want input regarding whether a better CDP as the transport would improve sound or make no change.
If you do not already use some sort of roller ball isolation devices with the transport, I would go there first.

rw

rob_a
10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
My thoughts are to go with a good CD player with good DAC's. Save the extra cash that you would have to spend on two different units. External DAC's are not needed in this type of set up, you will most likely not even hear any improvement.

Mr Peabody
10-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Read in the description where it begins "Not all digital outputs are created equal". If you aren't using coaxial I'd recommend a switch. NAD paid some special attention to the digital out but it is only the coaxial. The c545 also has a strong bass response so I expect it has a decent power supply. In short, it should make a good transport.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/cd-players/C-545BEE-CD-Player/details