Ultralink vs Acoustic Research [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ultralink vs Acoustic Research

poppachubby
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
No great detail on this one. Infact, about as scientific as a dollar store calculator. The fact of the matter is, I got a great deal on AR PR-220 12 g cable. So, I bought 2- 10 foot strands with gold plated AR banana plugs. I love AR. For my gear, they give me great results and I use the Pro Series for all of my analog connects.

There is no fairy tale ending for this AR cabling I'm afraid. I've had Ultralink Challenger-2 cabling hooked up for at least 2000 hours now. I just wanted a change, problem is, I got a bad change. The AR sounded wicked flat. I can't make a proper comparison because the UL is burned in and settled so nicely, it mercilessly destroyed the AR.

To say the least I packed up the AR w/ plugs and sold it to a mate for a steal. Suffice it to say, I have quite an attachment to my Ultralink. It's fantastic stuff, and Canadian of course.:ihih: I guess I didn't realize just how much I loved it, and just how great it sounded until I pulled in some fresh stuff.

Anyhow, I picked up some fresh termination and heat shrink. Back on they go...

http://www.ultralinkcables.com/#/products/challenger_2/

http://www.araccessories.com/araccessories/ARAccessoriesProductDetail.do?ACTION_TYPE_ID=ACTIO N_TYPE_PRODUCT_DETAIL&ACTION_CATEGORY_IDSTR_CATEGORY_PR02_SERIES_CABLES&ACTION_PRODUCT_ID=PR220

dakatabg
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
All my cables are with gold plated AR banana plugs. I can't have it just the wire ends!

poppachubby
10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
All my cables are with gold plated AR banana plugs. I can't have it just the wire ends!

Yes I prefer termination as well dak. Quite a few cable manufacturers will actually suggest bare wire when possible. My problem is my current amp will not house plugs, I have to use pins. The speakers have posts with screw-on nuts, for these I have ring style connection. I always use heat shrink to seal up everything really good.

What kind of cabling have you got dak? With all those speakers you must have quite a bit. A guy like you could benefit by dropping a couple hundred on a full roll.

JohnMichael
10-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Hey Pchub next time check out solid core cable if you want to hear some great music.

poppachubby
10-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey Pchub next time check out solid core cable if you want to hear some great music.

John, I assume you connect with these? Please give me a link with a specific connection...

BTW dak, here they are , one last time, I have been enjoying carrying them around. That super tough feel in my hand, the extra heavy weight making them seem all the more amazing. (Sniffle) :frown5:

Hyfi
10-21-2009, 08:23 AM

Tara Labs Prism wire is a nice solid core choice. I only replaced mine because I had a $1000 pair of Synergistic Research cables fall into my life. Nice difference there for sure.