PDA

View Full Version : new member

slinger12
10-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Hello all. New member from Canada.

slinger

caz223
10-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey there, noob from Michigan welcomes you.

poppachubby
10-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Hello all. New member from Canada.

slinger

London, ON myself. You'll meet quite a few canucks at AR. Welcome and what are your interests?

JoeE SP9
10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Welcome to AR slinger12!

dakatabg
10-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Chicago IL. So what electronics do you have home Mr Slinger12 ?

T-H Lim
10-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi there, new here too. I don't want to hog this forum with a new thread just to introduce myself so, I'll hitch on this one. I am from the far east. Penang, to be exact. I am no audiophile; it cost too much. Currently using a Pioneer jack-of-all-trade as a source feeding into a tubed Consonance through a home brewed pure silver interconnect terminated with bullet plugs and driving a pair of Epos M12 through Van den Hull cables. Elsewhere, I've got Samsung, Sony (sounds decent) and an LG feeding into a Marantz multi-amp driving MB Quart, Wharfedales and Velodyne. I have owned Tannoy and Mission. Till today, I regret having to dispose of them but I can't keep too many equipment in my small apartment. On the power side, I have installed a stabilizer so everything in my house runs on this smoothed power supply. I have also taken the trouble to replace all lighting ballast with electronic ones. That's about it. All these are pretty low-end stuff but I try to make it up with high quality software. Besides this, I've got some old collection of vinyls but my Thorens needs overhauling. Got any ideas?

muzikzohmbie
10-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Hey gang,just a friendly hello to all of you audio geeks who share the same disease as I do,lol. Hi,I am Muzikzohmbie,and I am an audioholic:3: :23: :23: :23: :23:

muzikzohmbie
10-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi there, new here too. I don't want to hog this forum with a new thread just to introduce myself so, I'll hitch on this one. I am from the far east. Penang, to be exact. I am no audiophile; it cost too much. Currently using a Pioneer jack-of-all-trade as a source feeding into a tubed Consonance through a home brewed pure silver interconnect terminated with bullet plugs and driving a pair of Epos M12 through Van den Hull cables. Elsewhere, I've got Samsung, Sony (sounds decent) and an LG feeding into a Marantz multi-amp driving MB Quart, Wharfedales and Velodyne. I have owned Tannoy and Mission. Till today, I regret having to dispose of them but I can't keep too many equipment in my small apartment. On the power side, I have installed a stabilizer so everything in my house runs on this smoothed power supply. I have also taken the trouble to replace all lighting ballast with electronic ones. That's about it. All these are pretty low-end stuff but I try to make it up with high quality software. Besides this, I've got some old collection of vinyls but my Thorens needs overhauling. Got any ideas? Hey,nothing wrong with your system,sounds nice.It does not matter how much you spend or do not spend on this hobbie as long as you enjoy it and are happy,that is all that matters.It is all about the music in the end.:13:

poppachubby
10-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Man, if I lived in the east I'd have all Shanling gear and pay almost nothing for it. But I don't.

T-H Lim
11-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey,nothing wrong with your system,sounds nice.It does not matter how much you spend or do not spend on this hobbie as long as you enjoy it and are happy,that is all that matters.It is all about the music in the end.:13:

Hi muzikzohmbie,

I don't know if I am an audioholic like you but I also have an assortment of cans and plugs. The pitiful thing about my Sennheiser HD-600 is I don't have a purpose headphone amp for it so I can hardly discern the difference between this can and another that cost 5 times less.

T-H Lim
11-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Man, if I lived in the east I'd have all Shanling gear and pay almost nothing for it. But I don't.

Hi poppachubby,

On the contrary, Shanling is also quite expensive here. Most tubed electronics are. The best value is to get European marques manufactured in China. What isn't made in China these days?

poppachubby
11-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Hi poppachubby,

On the contrary, Shanling is also quite expensive here. Most tubed electronics are. The best value is to get European marques manufactured in China. What isn't made in China these days?

Perhaps I should have been more specific. During a business trip, a guy I know through Target HiFi, picked up re-badged Shanling for a pittance. This was on a trip to China of course. I'm sure anything with the Shanling name on it is expensive the world round.

JoeE SP9
11-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Hey,nothing wrong with your system,sounds nice.It does not matter how much you spend or do not spend on this hobbie as long as you enjoy it and are happy,that is all that matters.It is all about the music in the end.:13:

Truer words have never been written. Too often we get too concerned about the gear at the expense of the music. There is another thread about just that.

muzikzohmbie and T-H Lim:
Welcome to AR!

T-H Lim
11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Perhaps I should have been more specific. During a business trip, a guy I know through Target HiFi, picked up re-badged Shanling for a pittance. This was on a trip to China of course. I'm sure anything with the Shanling name on it is expensive the world round.

Ah, you mean the bootleg version. Well, you should be careful with those. People who bootleg other peoples product can't be counted upon to have good ethics. You can be sure that any part that can be compromised will be. That is why you buy them at your own risk; no guarantees.

On the other hand, companies like Shanling, Consonance, etc. spend too much on advertising. Who pays for this? Is a Rolex really worth that much? Or is it because owning a Rolex also requires you to sponsor yacht racing and golf tournaments? With the advent of the internet, I'd rather quality makers not spend too much on brand recognition and instead have good reviews do the job for them. That is what sites like audioreview.com are for.

T-H Lim
11-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Truer words have never been written. Too often we get too concerned about the gear at the expense of the music. There is another thread about just that.

muzikzohmbie and T-H Lim:
Welcome to AR!

Thank you JoeE but would you be so kind as to point us newbies to that particular thread? I'd like to see if there is any good quality music I am missing.

JoeE SP9
11-02-2009, 07:44 PM
It's under General Audio, the thread is called music lovers. It's not really about recommended music. Nevertheless it's an interesting thread. The Rave Recordings forum is more about recordings and recommended recordings. That may be what you're looking for. If you ask for recommended recordings in almost any thread you will get lots of answers.