Do you know song titles anymore? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you know song titles anymore?

Davey
10-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Just wondering, I was listening to a big favorite from the last few years this morning, and even though many of the songs are embedded like memories of old friends in my mind now, I was a bit surprised that I didn't know some of their names. Guess it's not that shocking since most of us don't live and breathe these kind of things like we may have when we were young, but still...you'd think I would pay a little more attention :)

Any Tunesday Tunes getting heavy play on the disc-go-round this week? Me, I was spinning some Kraftwerk Trans-Europe Express after a long time gone. Ya know, some of these old Kraftwerk records are hit and miss with me these days. Still love some of it, and still surprises me at times how inventive they were, but other times it's like there's something wrong and it's stuck in a loop. Guess that's why I lean more to the concise disco-oriented pop of The Man Machine today, and to more folk-pop-tronica stuff like Neon Golden.

And Califone's new one a lot. Best record of the year at this point, and getting better. Flows like water over the rocks from one unique idea to another, yet still sounds just like Califone. Some David Kilgour from his last one. Nothing new and different, but always sounds good. Been one of my car buddies for a couple months. The creepier than anything "Slota Prow Full Armour" from the amazing Wovenhand Mosaic ruining the silence right now. Can't believe this is what I'm listening to in the morning, coffee and burning bushes, rattling skeletons and speaking in tongues. Crazy stuff. Think I just heard a coyote....

ForeverAutumn
10-20-2009, 09:23 AM
No, I don't know song titles like I used to. Or lyrics for that matter. When I was younger I used to spin an LP with the album cover in my hand, singing or reading along with the lyrics. I knew all the song titles and lyrics to almost every tune in my collection.

These days, I listen in my car while I'm driving or I plug my ipod into it's dock at home and at work. I'm too busy doing other things while I listen, to just sit and read the lyrics.

I've been spinning the new Colin James disk this week, Rooftops and Satellites. I keep hoping that it will grow on me, but it's just not happening. There are a couple of standout tunes, but the rest is just ho hum. A little disappointing for me.

Other than that, I've spun the soundtrack to Les Miserable a few times, but once I got that out of my system, I put the iPod on shuffle. So nothing really of note to discuss.

Mr MidFi
10-20-2009, 09:36 AM
You are not alone. My daughter makes fun of me all the time because I never the know the titles, and I end up singing a few lines of the chorus instead.

Just yesterday, I made a reference to the song "Commercial Appeal" by Spoon. No such song exists, of course (it's called "Finer Feelings," apparently). And that disc was my Album of the Year!!!

3LB
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
I still do OK with song titles, but then again, I don't think I'm as old as you guys. ;)

Mywife is the world's worst at lyrics; butchers them all the time, and these are songs she's grown up with and owned forever.

Of course, I streeeetch abit. I can't say I know all the titles of everything I've listened to, except that which have become favorites. I've been listening to some Led Zeppelin the last few days - dunno why. I never have let albums like Houses Of The Holy or Physical Graffiti stray too far.

Been spinning some vinyl. I saw Frampton Comes Alive on sale ($14.99) at a Fred Meyers and figured it was worth the asking price for a 180g reissue. I don't own too much 180g stuff, but it makes all the difference in the world. My nieghbor has the same album, only the original issue, and even though its still in great shape, the standard vinyl issue back in the day sounds pathetic compared to 180g stuff. His standard vinyl is noisy as hell, while my 180s stuff is so quite. I find my vinyl copy of MMJ's Evil Urges sounds way more engaging than its CD counterpart. Gotta look for more vinyl deals...but I think I'm done buying standard vinyl. I been eyeballing a few more titles on vinyl at Freds, waiting for them to go on sale. I do listen to some standard vinyl anyway...my neighbor's pristine copy of Heart's Dreamboat Annie; its is a good album. Never heard that album until the late '80s, then not again until 7 or 8 years ago, both times on vinyl. Its a short but really good album, but once again, even this pristine album has its noise issues...no wonder CD is preferred over this.

I too, have been digging the new Califone (made me go whip out the last I&W album), as well as Arctic Monkeys and the new Built To Spill, which is a steller effort IMO and definitely a top 5 album of 2009. Also spun some new band called The French Revolution - not bad atol.

Slosh
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I can't find the new Califone anywhere, vinyl or CD :( Matter or fact I just got in from my local indie record store and they still didn't have it (last week they told me they did actually order some copies but they never showed up . . . and still haven't). So instead I listened to Red Red Meat There's A Star Above The Manger Tonight, Bunny Gets Paid, and Jimmywine Majestic to scratch that particular itch.

I have been spinning BHP Six a lot over the past week but all in the car. Gotta get that CD in the house where there's no Hemi rumble to distract me. :) Also Three Mile Pilot Songs From An Old Town We Once Knew.

Song titles? I can't even remember what albums I already own. I had my iPod connected to my friend's stereo last weekend and had it shuffling the entire library and I swear at least a good 10% of the songs I had no idea what they were and had to keep checking. Worse yet it's just a 30GB iPod and represents only a tiny fraction of my collection.

Swish
10-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Since cds came into vogue I no longer spend time reading the guts of the jewel case. It was so much easier to do with vinyl since you had a much bigger display to read and you more or less had to remove the sleeve to get the vinyl out anyway, so it was in your face. I also listen to a lot of cds and cdrs in my car, so I don't have the opportunity to look over the track info.

When I ask friends if they like a particular cd, they usually say 'track 3 is dynamite' or whatever, and I just grin and say 'yeah, I like track 3 too'. It's kind sad in a way.

3LB
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Song titles are less meaningful to us now anyway, since we'll never have to ask, or be asked, if we heard that new song by ( fill in blank___) on the radio.

nobody
10-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Kinda depends on the genre. Instrumental stuff, electronic stuff and all that, song titles are so meaningless I tend to not notice them. But, more traditional pop/rock tunes I usually remember the name if I really like it.

3LB
10-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Hell, I still get titles to Led Zeppelin songs mixed up

tentoze
10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
No, I don't.

My record of the year so far (and there are several contenders):

Loudon Wainwright III~ High, Wide, and Handsome: The Charlie Poole Project. Remarkable stuff.

3LB
10-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Tentoze? well, 'tis the season...how the hell ya doin?

tentoze
10-23-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm arright for a worn out old guy.

:)