6 And 8 Channel Direct Connection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 6 And 8 Channel Direct Connection

winston
10-18-2009, 07:30 PM
How Do You Watch Your Movie Most Of The Time?? Especially Since The Blueray Players Have A Much Better Bass Management System, The Reason I Am Asking This Question? Is That Apart From Dvd Audio, Super Audio Cd”there Is’nt Much Mentioned About The Six & Eight Channel Direct Connection …. Unless In A Few Cases Where One Buys’s A (br. Player) And The Receiver Or Pre-pro Dose’nt Have Hdmi” Connection………

So I Was Wondering If Members Just Used The Hdmi. Because Of The Conveinence And What It Has To Offer As A Single Cable.

Well This Is How I Do It’ I Have Two Br Player The First One Is The Sony Bdp-s550 And The Panasonic Dmp-bd80. To Me The Audio Quality- Timbre Sound So Good On My Regular Dvds Through The 5.1 Direct Hook Up,that I Just Run The Hdmi Cable To The Tv And Use The 6 & 8 Channel Direct For The Audio On Dvd & Br…that Brings A Whole New Life To My Dvd’s….while I’m Enjoying The High Bit Rate Audio From The Br Disc... Penny For Your Thougths

Please Give Me A Feed Back.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I use HDMI only because if I didn't, the back of my setup would look like a truck load of spaghetti.

The problem I would have with your setup would be that you are using the players D/A conversion. Most receivers have better DAC's than the players do, and the extra wiring via the analog outputs makes the audio susceptible to jitter. Not saying it actually occurs, but it does increase the chances. You also increase the chance that the video and audio can get out of sync.

Simplicity is always better. If one wire can carry both the audio and the video, then that is the one I would choose.

BadAssJazz
11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
HDMI all the way.

winston
11-06-2009, 08:57 PM
thanks.....Sir Terrence the T" & Bad Ass J" for your response.
I hear you Sir Terrence"...........ya that truck load of spaghetti's is not exactly the look of love. I just wanted to know if anyone else fancy this idea
Win.

Mr Peabody
11-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Using the multichannel analog out Jitter would not be an issue as the signal is already converted, hence, "analog". :) Audio/video sync issues could be a real problem using the analog outs though.

Which to use would depend on your components. If the player had better speaker set up as you say then that would be the way to go. although from what I've seen that's probably not likely unless your receiver is entry level. Also, a reason to stick with the player would be if the receiver didn't have the HD audio decoding or accept PCM via the HDMI. Nothing wrong with using the analog if that's what you prefer. Having multiple sources using just one cable sure is nice though.

Myself, I'm also in the HDMI group. But with the 7003 I have no choice, no decoding or analog. It was built this way and I guess Marantz thought HDMI best.

winston
11-07-2009, 04:01 AM
THANKS Mr. P"......."RESPECT"
Getting your input is Greatly Appreciated...last night i was playing "YO YO MA'S" that frenchmon' recommended me. and as much as i am a big classical guy!! that SACD was sounding good using the six channel Direct.. thanks french... (but for movies it seems HDMI. & Digital Rules) Ho" one point for direct connection, Love the sound of the gun shots it has this special "POP POW"??!!
Win.

Mr Peabody
11-07-2009, 05:27 AM
I may have forgotten, does your receiver have HDMI inputs? You could run both HDMI and MC analog input the receiver, use the analog for SACD and the HDMI for movies. You'll have to run a HDMI from receiver to TV as well. If you are using your Blu-ray for SACD it should also output SACD via HDMI. You'd have to experiment to see if any sound difference.

winston
11-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I may have forgotten, does your receiver have HDMI inputs? You could run both HDMI and MC analog input the receiver, use the analog for SACD and the HDMI for movies. You'll have to run a HDMI from receiver to TV as well. If you are using your Blu-ray for SACD it should also output SACD via HDMI. You'd have to experiment to see if any sound difference.
Mr.P' I I'm using my Panasonic BD80 in this setup but here is the thing!! i have tried a few times to rum HDMI and MC (but I could not get them to work simultaneously so I took the easy way out) I'm off to find that Dog and retrieve my manual.

SACD via HDMI i figured that one out.... it much better than the way I had it, it's a lot more punchy the bass is a whole lot better on SACD.

Mr Peabody
11-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Sounds like HDMI it is then.

Nickyrash
11-13-2009, 04:57 AM
I am planning to buy the LCD tv can any one give me some tips will buying it.

Mr Peabody
11-13-2009, 04:37 PM
What type of info are you looking for? www.crutchfield.com has several buying guides. You can do some Google searches, especially for models you are thinking about getting to check reviews etc. From what I know Samsung and Panasonic are probably the best brands. Sony Bravia has a good picture quality but I hesitate to recommend them because their reliability is questionable. Sharp Aquos is also very good.

Some basics, you want 1080p, be sure you get enough HDMI inputs to meet your needs and future input needs. Many features you'll have to ask yourself if you want or need them. I'm not up on the 60, 120 & 240 Hz thing to advice if it works or worth extra expense. If no one else chimes in maybe start a new thread specifically asking about LCD advise, there are several here with more knowledge than I in this area.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-14-2009, 05:07 PM
What type of info are you looking for? www.crutchfield.com has several buying guides. You can do some Google searches, especially for models you are thinking about getting to check reviews etc. From what I know Samsung and Panasonic are probably the best brands. Sony Bravia has a good picture quality but I hesitate to recommend them because their reliability is questionable. Sharp Aquos is also very good.

Some basics, you want 1080p, be sure you get enough HDMI inputs to meet your needs and future input needs. Many features you'll have to ask yourself if you want or need them. I'm not up on the 60, 120 & 240 Hz thing to advice if it works or worth extra expense. If no one else chimes in maybe start a new thread specifically asking about LCD advise, there are several here with more knowledge than I in this area.

In terms of the 60,120 and 240hz refresh rates, it is a mixed bag. One of my monitors supports all three via processing, and jump from 60 to 120hz is quite noticeable. From 120 to 240hz not as much. You have to really be careful on this as some 240hz models makes film look a little artificial, more like video, and not very realistic. It is all in the processing, the better the processing, the more natural the extra frames look. One my television I found that turning off the extra processing actually improved the picture.

winston
11-16-2009, 07:29 PM
lately i have seen this HDMI V1.3A" repeater offered by some of the new receivers & pre/pro's, (my receiver is" 1.3) so my Question is...is there any benefit from an upgrade if my longest run HDMI cable is 6' to 8' only?? would i be correct to say that the V" is for- video, A" is for audio and the repeater" would help if SAY your running 20 feet or more??
thanks Win.

Mr Peabody
11-16-2009, 07:37 PM
"v" is for version. The repeater is for excessive runs and 8 foot would not be excessive. When to use one probably depends on the spec of the cable brand and more so the end result after hook up. If you were having any issues at 6 to 8 feet then it's time just to get a better cable.

winston
11-16-2009, 07:53 PM
"v" is for version. The repeater is for excessive runs and 8 foot would not be excessive. When to use one probably depends on the spec of the cable brand and more so the end result after hook up. If you were having any issues at 6 to 8 feet then it's time just to get a better cable.
"GRACIAS" Mr Peabody