Just picked up.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up....

atomicAdam
10-18-2009, 06:23 PM
a pair of MMGs for free at burning amp.

Granted one needs to be repaired, which should only be $50 or so and some time.

Going to spice them up though. Going to paint the side wood parts bright cherry lipstick red.

Since the MMG's are 4ohms can I by wire from my 8ohm amp?

blackraven
10-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Are you using that Van Alstine amp? If so, It should have no problems with 4 ohms.

atomicAdam
10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
no - that hasn't arrived yet. I just plugged one into the the Onkyo M282 amp.

But Thanks for the heads up.

I have a KLM sub that has left/right in and out that I think I'll plug in the middle of the chain.

Amp->SpeakerWire->Sub->SpeakerWire->MMG

Reminds me, need to email Mag.

Thanks
-aA

audio amateur
10-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Nice find. What's wrong with them?

atomicAdam
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Nice find. What's wrong with them?

I forgot to snap a photo but the tweeter ribbon is ripped up i a couple places along the bottom. looks like a cat had some fun or just ran into something in moving. I'll get a photo up later today when I get back home.

poppachubby
10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
How was burning amp? How about some highlights?

atomicAdam
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
How was burning amp? How about some highlights?

Burning amp was good. I've got a tone of photos, and some movies. I'm going to try to post them tonight and tomorrow.

There was some pretty crazy stuff there. And got to hear these (http://dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=5). Quoted at $40,000/pair.

Geoffcin
10-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Neat, a new maggie owner!

You know what they say;

Once you go flat you never go back...

Congrats!!!

jrhymeammo
10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure if I had read the wiring correctluy, but do you plan to run wire from the sub's high level output to your speakers?
If so, you may want to avoid that. Your MMG signals will be contaminated thru the sub's crossover. I'm not familiar with your subwoofer, but try to run the MMG straight from the amp.
You can try both methods and see which one method you prefer though.

But most importantly, congrats and enjoy your new toy. Do you plan to mess with the MMG's crossovers?

Have Fun,
JRA

Geoffcin
10-22-2009, 04:40 PM
That's some great advice. You should never run speaker cables through the sub if you can help it. However, I think it will work OK if you do. The MMG's don't have much low bass, but you won't overload them unless you push them really hard. Better to run line level to the sub and full range to the MMG's. That's what I do with my 3.6's.

atomicAdam
10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Actually -

It seems the MMGs I picked up are for the not. Showed Magnepan some photos of the damage and they said it wasn't worth the repair.

So, now I've got q Magnepan MMG. Would be a hell of a center channel.

Oh well. I'm still trying to figure out what the damage would cost to repair, but the email read -
"They are not repairable. The cost would FAR exceed their value."

....... so be it.

-aA

haodzuno
10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
thanks

Geoffcin
10-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Actually -

It seems the MMGs I picked up are for the not. Showed Magnepan some photos of the damage and they said it wasn't worth the repair.

So, now I've got q Magnepan MMG. Would be a hell of a center channel.

Oh well. I'm still trying to figure out what the damage would cost to repair, but the email read -
"They are not repairable. The cost would FAR exceed their value."

....... so be it.

-aA

I think what they mean is that it isn't worth it to send it to THEM for repair. To spend $200 to repair a speaker you can replace for $250 just doesn't make sense. However repairing the panels yourself shouldn't run more than $50. A puncture, or even several in the mylar means nothing. Unless it's totally torn it should sound pretty good when repaired. Read this link;

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=mug&n=58938&highlight=Cyr-Marc

atomicAdam
10-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I think what they mean is that it isn't worth it to send it to THEM for repair. To spend $200 to repair a speaker you can replace for $250 just doesn't make sense. However repairing the panels yourself shouldn't run more than $50. A puncture, or even several in the mylar means nothing. Unless it's totally torn it should sound pretty good when repaired. Read this link;

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=mug&n=58938&highlight=Cyr-Marc

No - I'm pretty sure we talked about the $50 tweeter repair kit that is easy to deal with, he meant no over all. I'll post a photo later.

atomicAdam
10-23-2009, 07:09 AM
I'm thinking, if they aren't worth the repair. To just pull the speaker part out and put fiber board in there and have some room acoustic treatment that looks like MMGs.