Is anyone still in touch with Chip B? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still in touch with Chip B?

ForeverAutumn
10-18-2009, 12:26 PM
If so, can you please let him know that there is a new Colin James disk. It's an expensive import in the US but I can get it for him for about $14.00 CDN. I've done this for him in the past.

Have him email or PM me if he's interested. Between moving and getting a new computer, I've lost his email address.

Thanks.

poppachubby
10-18-2009, 12:51 PM
If so, can you please let him know that there is a new Colin James disk. It's an expensive import in the US but I can get it for him for about $14.00 CDN. I've done this for him in the past.

Have him email or PM me if he's interested. Between moving and getting a new computer, I've lost his email address.

Thanks.

...has it been 5 long years, since you've seen Chip's loving eyes? things have changed, he see's right...

Swish
10-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Thanks.

...way back in December of '05, and I can't recall seeing anything from him in years otherwise. It also told me he doesn't want to be reached via e-mail, so I guess he's S.O.L. on this one. It's a good thought though.

poppachubby
10-18-2009, 03:00 PM
So it has been roughly 5 long years...haha

Swish
10-18-2009, 03:54 PM
So it has been roughly 5 long years...haha

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jimmy B
10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
whiskey bottles shrine the living room

Chip_B
10-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Esther...got your message from Jay. Thanks very much for the Colin James offer--I'd love to get the new CD. Please email me at southernblues@hotmail.com and we'll work out the details.

I'm doing very well these days and hope you and the rest of the raverecs knuckleheads are too. Decided to take up guitar about six months ago--about 45 years later than I should've. I bought a red Stratocaster and a little Fender Super Champ to play it through and love it. My guitar instructor is less than half my age, but he has an "old soul" and likes the kind of music I do, so it's a very comfortable learning environment. It's slow going, but I'm learning a little bit at a time.

Take care and thanks for thinking of me.

-Chip

ForeverAutumn
10-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Esther...got your message from Jay. Thanks very much for the Colin James offer--I'd love to get the new CD. Please email me at southernblues@hotmail.com and we'll work out the details.

I'm doing very well these days and hope you and the rest of the raverecs knuckleheads are too. Decided to take up guitar about six months ago--about 45 years later than I should've. I bought a red Stratocaster and a little Fender Super Champ to play it through and love it. My guitar instructor is less than half my age, but he has an "old soul" and likes the kind of music I do, so it's a very comfortable learning environment. It's slow going, but I'm learning a little bit at a time.

-Chip

I knew the old AR Grapevine would come through. :) Thanks Jay!

Great to hear from you. And good for you for starting guitar lessons. I did the same thing a couple years ago. After 'playing' for 20 years and not learning anything new for the last 18 :rolleyes5: , I took my first lesson in 2007. I'm becoming quite a good flat-picker, which is a technique that I would have never played on my own, but have since discovered is something that I love to play!

I'll email you from home tonight to discuss the Colin James deets.

Swish
10-19-2009, 08:53 AM

-Chip

Mexican or Korean model? Sorry, but I have to ask! I actually owned two different Japanese models years back that were quite good, but I thought the quality went downhill after they moved them to Korea. I now own, among a few others, a 2001 Special Edition Strat that is a sunburst model but instead of going from yellow in the center and out to brown, as many of the classic American made Strat have, it goes from yellow to a deep red. It's also a flame top with the nice striping in the wood and has upgraded electronics and hardware, so it's a sweetie for sure. I still wish I had a Tele, but I'm going to have to wait for that.

How you been fellow knuckle-head?

Chip_B
10-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm good Swish...nice to see you're still among the living.

I got a Mexican Strat--the cost for an American Standard was another $700 or thereabouts and a bit pricey for a beginner. The staff said it was a fine guitar--well-built, and not that much different than the U.S. version. That said, if I ever learn to play (and I'm trying), I'll probably get a Standard anyway. For now though, I'm very happy with the one I have. I've always loved Strats, never considered another brand or type of guitar.

Anyhoo, I've havin' fun learning to play scales and pentatonics and how to follow along with a metronome. I'm currently learning the chords for Tangerine and Comfortably Numb because the structure is fairly basic. Making a "timely" transition between chords is still beyond my reach at the moment, but I'll get there.

-Chip

tentoze
10-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Hey Chip, I'm in yr neck of the woods about 70% of the time these days (well, north of you in Spring Hill). We ought to toss back a few somewhere one of these days, eh?

poppachubby
10-20-2009, 12:08 AM

I got a Mexican Strat--the cost for an American Standard was another $700 or thereabouts and a bit pricey for a beginner. The staff said it was a fine guitar--well-built, and not that much different than the U.S. version. That said, if I ever learn to play (and I'm trying), I'll probably get a Standard anyway. For now though, I'm very happy with the one I have. I've always loved Strats, never considered another brand or type of guitar.

Anyhoo, I've havin' fun learning to play scales and pentatonics and how to follow along with a metronome. I'm currently learning the chords for Tangerine and Comfortably Numb because the structure is fairly basic. Making a "timely" transition between chords is still beyond my reach at the moment, but I'll get there.

-Chip

Hello Chip, always happy to hear someone is learning guitar. I have been playing bass now for over half of my life, a cool 19 years. I've seen many come and go from the hobby. I would like to say at this stage of your learning, make sure you play daily. I call it the "20 minute workout".

20 minutes a day minimum will help to strengthen your hands and increase your co-ordination, things that are limiting your ability. Working out those scales is an excellent drill. If all you can manage is the "workout" in a day, talk to your teacher about exercises that focus on stretching and finger strength.

I would say after a solid 6 month term you should see vast improvement and more importantly, your hands will be alot more comfortable ie. blisters, etc. Stick with it Chip, the real fun and joy is just around the corner!!!

Swish
10-20-2009, 03:51 AM

-Chip

When I started playing in the early 70s, the cheap ones were pretty lousy, especially on the acoustic side. The action was so bad that it discouraged many beginners, so I always suggested newbies to spend a few extra bucks.

Anyway, you're doing the right thing; learn the basics and things will all start to make sense. Movable scales, pentatonics, chords and chord changes...it's all good.

Keep in touch!

Swishdaddy

Chip_B
10-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey Chip, I'm in yr neck of the woods about 70% of the time these days (well, north of you in Spring Hill). We ought to toss back a few somewhere one of these days, eh?

Hey Toze! I'm certainly up for a beer. Just let me know when you have time to hit Tampa and we'll meet for lunch or something. GrillSmith is a great place for a beer (large esoteric selection) and the food is excellent. Pricey, but worth it.

Where in north FL are you? My hometown (Madison) is on the top of the state and it's definitely in the "piney woods".

Chip_B
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
When I started playing in the early 70s, the cheap ones were pretty lousy, especially on the acoustic side. The action was so bad that it discouraged many beginners, so I always suggested newbies to spend a few extra bucks.

Anyway, you're doing the right thing; learn the basics and things will all start to make sense. Movable scales, pentatonics, chords and chord changes...it's all good.

Keep in touch!

Swishdaddy

I've had no probs at all and haven't heard any negatives about the Mexican Strats from any of the people I've talked to about it. So far, so good, but I sure wish I had more time to play it. 12-hour work day yesterday and 10 more today...just shoot me.

tentoze
10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey Toze! I'm certainly up for a beer. Just let me know when you have time to hit Tampa and we'll meet for lunch or something. GrillSmith is a great place for a beer (large esoteric selection) and the food is excellent. Pricey, but worth it.

Where in north FL are you? My hometown (Madison) is on the top of the state and it's definitely in the "piney woods".

Official home is still in JAX, but I seem to be transitioning lately.

Chip_B
10-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Hello Chip, always happy to hear someone is learning guitar. I have been playing bass now for over half of my life, a cool 19 years. I've seen many come and go from the hobby. I would like to say at this stage of your learning, make sure you play daily. I call it the "20 minute workout".

20 minutes a day minimum will help to strengthen your hands and increase your co-ordination, things that are limiting your ability. Working out those scales is an excellent drill. If all you can manage is the "workout" in a day, talk to your teacher about exercises that focus on stretching and finger strength.

I would say after a solid 6 month term you should see vast improvement and more importantly, your hands will be alot more comfortable ie. blisters, etc. Stick with it Chip, the real fun and joy is just around the corner!!!

As I posted to Swish, I can't always practice when I'd like to--not enough hours in the day. I manage about 3-4 practices a week and play for an hour or more each time. I do hand strengthening exercises and practice chord changes as part of my routine, but the pinky on my left hand gives me fits--broke it completely in half when I was about 11 or 12 and I have little strength in it. It doesn't move smoothly either, but I'm making headway in spite of it. My technique is improving. As for sticking with it, I have no doubt that I will. At this point in my life I'm self aware enough to know what I'm willing to invest my time in and my interest in learning is just as strong today as it was the day I bought the guitar. I'm loving the process.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get there eventually.

poppachubby
10-21-2009, 12:29 AM
As I posted to Swish, I can't always practice when I'd like to--not enough hours in the day. I manage about 3-4 practices a week and play for an hour or more each time. I do hand strengthening exercises and practice chord changes as part of my routine, but the pinky on my left hand gives me fits--broke it completely in half when I was about 11 or 12 and I have little strength in it. It doesn't move smoothly either, but I'm making headway in spite of it. My technique is improving. As for sticking with it, I have no doubt that I will. At this point in my life I'm self aware enough to know what I'm willing to invest my time in and my interest in learning is just as strong today as it was the day I bought the guitar. I'm loving the process.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get there eventually.

Good stuff, here's a pic of my kid rockin it HARD!! Don't know where his motivation comes from but I hope it stays with him, he just turned 3.

ForeverAutumn
10-21-2009, 05:26 AM
He's got the guitar player face down pat! Is that a Scooby Doo slider on his finger? lol.

poppachubby
10-21-2009, 06:20 AM
He's got the guitar player face down pat! Is that a Scooby Doo slider on his finger? lol.

Get with it FA, it's Dora....duuuhhh!?! Yes, my wife and I get a good laugh when he pulls out "the stank face".