ryanianmckinnon
10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
i just recently bought these speakers about
3 months ago and i did my research on them but i cant
find specs on them anywhere does anybody know the specs
or where i could look ?

Mr Peabody
10-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Try this, you may be able to get the manual: http://www.audiocircuit.com/index.php?c=ACU&m=AR-226-PS#man

Here's AR's reviews, you'll have to check for clues: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/acoustic-research/ar-226ps/PRD_118985_1594crx.aspx

Google gave some leads but not exactly what you asked for unless you can get that manual, that would be sweet.

dakatabg
10-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Those are nice looking speakers!
Where did you buy them from?

ryanianmckinnon
10-18-2009, 09:01 AM
i bought them on used victoria for 200 with metal stands
i was looking at other speakers on there and these
were better than any whalfdales i could find or anything eles
and reviewed better and cheaper i deffinetly made a good purchase

Mr Peabody
10-18-2009, 11:23 AM
dakatabg, did you know musicdirect was in Chicago? That would be a very cool place to visit they have a lot of nice brands.

dakatabg
10-18-2009, 11:36 AM
I have been there couple of times! It is like 11 miles from my house! Every time I go there I feel like buying everything! The prices are a little bit higher and add 10% IL taxes. They have really good things and you can even test them if you want.

ryanianmckinnon
10-18-2009, 08:45 PM
but are klipsch rf 7s or b&w 603 s3s good speakers ?

dakatabg
10-18-2009, 08:52 PM
They are good and in my opinion is better to get the Klipsch RF 7S because I think they are better!

ryanianmckinnon
10-19-2009, 06:20 AM
yeah i want the rf 7s but u cant find them ANYWHERE
and i have no idea where to look

Mr Peabody
10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Whether a speaker is good or not is very subjective. I personally would not own a Klipsch and can't stand the sound. I've yet to hear a pair play deep bass, the sound stage is terrible and the horns in some distort badly. I did hear a small pair sound decent with a Creek integrated. I had a pair in for audition, I forget the model but they had two 10's and the horn, cost was about $1200.00 the pair, I shot some power to them from a Krell integrated and those things went into pure distortion. But Klipsch has a loyal following and they appeal to some. I'm not a big B&W fan either, not for the same reasons, they just don't appeal to me, but I have much more respect for them and they sound much better than Klipsch.

ryanianmckinnon
10-19-2009, 03:35 PM
what speakers in your opinion sound good ?

dakatabg
10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
It depends what you are getting the speakers for. Are you getting them for just loud music or for deep bass or for high sounds or for just regular listening?

Mr Peabody
10-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Obviously, I'm a Dynaudio fan boy. I also have heard Thiel I like which is a totally different presentation from Dynaudio. I like Martin Logan electrostatic hybrid speakers. I've heard Paradigm I like. Snell is good.

Really the B&W aren't bad but I feel Dynaudio out performs them even with lower price point speakers. An advantage with B&W they have addressed the budget level where Dynaudio has yet to be.

Klipsch are very efficient, they can get loud with out much power so they do have their nitch. Even though the model I tried were $1200.00 they probably were not intended to be driven by Krell. I bought my Dynaudio Audience 60's for $1200.00 and they've handled whatever I've thrown at them, including the Krell, and sounded good doing it..

Unfortunately, there aren't many lines represented in my area. So my bad list is as long if not longer than my good speaker list. A friend of mine has some Canton he likes real well and I expect to be able to hear them in the near future. You might also take a look at the Emotiva speakers which seem to get a lot of good feedback. Emo allows 30 day return as well. www.emotiva.com There are a few online speaker manufacturers that sell direct. One of our dealers are about to bring in Totem. I am looking forward to hearing something new. FoCal is in a couple of the box stores but I've yet to listen to them. They were in one of the higher end shops until the box stores picked them up so I expect they are decent.

If I wanted a horn speaker I'd buy an Electro Voice pro speaker which runs circles around Klipsch in every aspect. Well, except for maybe looks, as ugly as Klipsch are they are probably still more appealing than carpeted cabinets. EV has excellent sounding horns though.

ryanianmckinnon
10-19-2009, 05:18 PM
ok thanx for the help

dakatabg
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Let us know when you get some speakers or amplifier :)

ryanianmckinnon
10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
i will i cant wait to upgrade im not an audiophile yet or even close to being one
but id like to learn as much as i can about audio :)

Mr Peabody
10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Ryan, you know something you might be able to do for not much money is add a sub. If you can find one that will pull the lows out of the Acoustic Research this will allow them to sound better and ease burden on your receiver. You will also get the needed bottom end and the whole system should sound more powerful that way.

ryanianmckinnon
10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
i have a sub right now but its not the best its only a polk audio 10 inch
its good but i want to upgrade in the future what would you suggest ?

Mr Peabody
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Some one posted the Martin Logan Dynamo in another thread on a deal at $475.00. For cheap I really don't know. The least expensive SVS is about $569.00 but it is killer www.svsound.com it's the stand up cylinder style, baby brother to the one I have.

To help your system the sub will need a high pass output so the lows at the crossover point can be taken out of your main speakers. Then your receiver don't have to devote power to reproducing those low frequencies and your main speakers will sound clearer because they aren't having to try and reproduce them. This set up should clean up your midrange. I know my sub recommendations weren't all that cheap but they are good subs. More so than a mass market sub for around the same money.

ryanianmckinnon
10-19-2009, 08:56 PM
thats a nice sub but yeah man im learning so much