How long does a decent quality stylus last? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How long does a decent quality stylus last?

Vivaldi
03-25-2004, 12:28 AM
How long can I expect a decent stylus to last? For now, Lp's are a secondary source of listening for me, and my turntable is not used on a daily basis. An audio dealer told me that it didn't matter if I didn't use my stylus that often, and it would deteriorate anyway. Any truth to this? Is it just a ploy to get fanatical audiophiles to keep buying overpriced stylus' ?

skeptic
03-25-2004, 04:28 AM
Stylus wear depends on many factors but time sitting around idly isn't usually one of them. It's related to many factors such as geometry, tracking pressure but assuming no unusual abuse, you should get 1000 hours or more of use out of one. Funny, some auto mechanics tell you the same thing about motor oil. Especially those who make most of their money out of oil changes.

E-Stat
03-26-2004, 08:07 PM
How long can I expect a decent stylus to last? For now, Lp's are a secondary source of listening for me, and my turntable is not used on a daily basis. An audio dealer told me that it didn't matter if I didn't use my stylus that often, and it would deteriorate anyway
My experience suggests the answer is a really long time. I had my last cartridge for about seven or eight years. What he probably was referring to is that while a diamond stylus doesn't wear out just sitting there, the rubber damper that supports the cantilever does harden over time.

rw

Mash
03-27-2004, 10:44 PM
LP's made of vinyl, which tends to be soft, can wear out a diamond phono stylus.... and diamon is one of the hardest known materials. Kinda makes you wonder what damage those CD Lens Cleaner discs with the little brushes can really do to the typical plastic CD lens, doesn't it?