Here's some free music for you boyz & girlz. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Here's some free music for you boyz & girlz.

Swish
10-13-2009, 11:37 AM
No pirating here as the band called The French Revolution is offering a free download of this record they named 'The Letdown'. I'm sure they're hoping the name doesn't describe the result of this recording. I listened to it once and it sounds pretty good with some nice crunchy guitars and decent lyrics. I'd like to hear your opinions as well if you decide to download it.

Swishdaddy

http://tfr.misterstudio.com/

harley .guy07
10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Just got done downloading it and it sounds pretty good. I don't have a usb dac yet so I had to rip it to disk. I can tell its been compressed but all in all it pretty good sounding and the music itself has some good parts in it. Not to bad for a freebee

ForeverAutumn
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks. I've d/l it and I'll listen to it tomorrow on my iPod. My computer speakers suck.

Swish
10-14-2009, 08:21 AM
I was holding off telling you this, but the French Revolution is my new band and that's me on guitar. Not bad, eh? All right, I'm kidding. It's actually the name of my son-in-law's new band. One of the band member's last name is French, hence the name. Many of you may remember me posting about his old band, Movies With Heroes, and some of you heard a few of their tunes on My Space and J even went to see them at the Knitting Factory a couple years back and met my daughter while there. My current spouse and I also went to see them in London when they toured Europe in hopes of getting a major label record deal.

That didn't work out and the son-in-law, along with 2 others, decided to call it quits and get on with his life. He has a degree in audio engineering and spends many weekends in the studio recording bands, so he's making some decent money at that while working as a packaging designer during the week. He still loves to play (mostly drums along with some guitar) and record, but the touring days are over, so the French Revolution are a bunch of like-minded guys who want to record and play but not tour.

I think it's a pretty good effort, if not my favorite genre. I hope others find some good stuff in here as well.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
10-14-2009, 08:45 AM
When I saw where they were from, I though it might be your son-in-law.

I'm on my third spin of this album and I have to give it thumbs up. I know that's the kiss of death in your opinion Swishy, but who cares what you think anyhow. :p

I've been listening at work so it doesn't have my undivided attention, but it has a bit of a brit-pop sound to me. Kinda reminds me of bands like Kaiser Chiefs or Maximo Park. Lots of crunchy guitar and catchy tunes. I'd even pay for this (but I'm happy that I didn't have to). :)

Swish
10-14-2009, 08:55 AM
When I saw where they were from, I though it might be your son-in-law.

I'm on my third spin of this album and I have to give it thumbs up. I know that's the kiss of death in your opinion Swishy, but who cares what you think anyhow. :p

I've been listening at work so it doesn't have my undivided attention, but it has a bit of a brit-pop sound to me. Kinda reminds me of bands like Kaiser Chiefs or Maximo Park. Lots of crunchy guitar and catchy tunes. I'd even pay for this (but I'm happy that I didn't have to). :)

My first and only spin was interrupted frequently, so I can't say much as yet. Jeremy and his pals are quite a talented bunch and they know what they're doing as far as playing and recording. The creative process is the key though, and I'm not sure part-time musicians can ever make a 'great' record. You certainly have to admire them for their attitude in doing this for fun and sharing the results for free.

By the by, your care package is on the way. While it's addressed to you, I fully expect you to share with your husband or there will be he<a>ll to pay.

ForeverAutumn
10-14-2009, 09:06 AM
By the by, your care package is on the way. While it's addressed to you, I fully expect you to share with your husband or there will be he<a>ll to pay.

Who's going to give me hell? You? Remember, I have photos. Perhaps you'd like to pull a Letterman and just confess now. :ihih:

Seriously, thanks in advance for whatever you're sending. :) And tell Jeremy, nice job, from me. I really am enjoying the music.

3LB
10-15-2009, 07:43 AM
I like it alot. I've been getting into a lot '80s retro pastiche this year and this falls right into that category. Spun it three times now. Yes, its akin to Brit-pop, but thankfully they're not from Britain, so they don't have to be the next Stone Roses or Blur. Reminds me a lot of that first Hot Hot Heat from a few years ago, Make Up The Break Down or more currently, The Morning Benders' Talking Through Tin Cans from last year...maybe not as terminally catchy as HHH, but still, this is very well done, hook layden song craft. I only wished I had posted this earlier so it wouldn't look like I was kissing Swish's ass.

The creative process is the key though, and I'm not sure part-time musicians can ever make a 'great' record. You certainly have to admire them for their attitude in doing this for fun and sharing the results for free.
I admire that too. Fun is the first thing that popped into my mind after the first few songs. I don't know where it would rank on the Rolling Stone Magazine's scale for their ability to 'save rock-n-roll', but this is definitely worth hearing and owning. Might be hard to standout when this type of retro-pastiche has been around for a few years now, but you never know.

If there's one critique I could offer, its where the hell is the keyboard player in the mix?

Swish
10-15-2009, 10:41 AM
If there's one critique I could offer, its where the hell is the keyboard player in the mix?

The only keyboard on the whole record is a Fender Rhodes, played as an accent "auxiliary" instrument in parts of "For The Money" (track 9), and at the end of "Houston, We Have a Problem" (track 11).

3LB
10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
The only keyboard on the whole record is a Fender Rhodes, played as an accent "auxiliary" instrument in parts of "For The Money" (track 9), and at the end of "Houston, We Have a Problem" (track 11).what...no mellotron? I'm outta here!