Is Sony 555 CD player too old? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is Sony 555 CD player too old?

sachs
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I just got a tremendous fiasco at buying a NAD C545BEE CD player that disclosed not only a real bug for the particular unit but for all NAD CD player in the store (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31863&highlight=sachs. They got embarrassed and are managing a good end for this history. I was wondering if my practically "brand new" Sony 555, that was considered when bought (arround 25 years ago, I think), almost as the "Cadillac" of non professional CD players, would be a too old component to restore in my system. I know very well that reproducing CD's is someting that changes every two months, but I get very unhappy and nostalgic when I see my old wonder, looking as the first day, already surpassed by less expensive models. Many thanks and friendly greetings. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ACCESS TO THAT "DIGITAL FORUM". Many thanks

harley .guy07
10-12-2009, 09:37 PM
You can do whatever makes you happy with your system. I'm not sure of the year of the 555 sony but I do remember hearing about it years ago as it was talked about very fondly back then. I know alot has changed when it comes to cd players with the dac's and transport mechanisms being better and better but if you like the sony, use it, at least untill you can find another new unit to consider. I don't know if you have been on the digital part of this forum but they have a very informative comparisons of CD players and I would leave the NAD alone seeing how the 399 dollar Emotiva beats the crap out of it and go for either the Emotiva or the musical fedelity model that Mr. peabody talked about if you are wanting to stay in the under 1000 dollar units.

sachs
10-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Many thanks. I think I bought it, very expensive, arround just 16/17 years aago. Is extremely complex, nice and mechanisms are silent. I was alreayd using a newer Sony components whose laser got bad; then I started to look for a replacement. But the day before yesterday I saw the box where the 555 is, and remember its nice performance. I inisist in that people, magazines and so on, say that playing CD's currently is very best when compared with 16 years ago. But I appreciate very much your advice, because it has some sort of existential perspective that means for me a lot, more than technical abstract speculations. So sorry that Emotiva is apparently unavailable here arround. These professional components do not announce them very much. It is some sort of a 'secret' for initiated. Many, many thanks and greetings

poppachubby
10-13-2009, 03:54 AM
I just got a tremendous fiasco at buying a NAD C545BEE CD player that disclosed not only a real bug for the particular unit but for all NAD CD player in the store (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31863&highlight=sachs. They got embarrassed and are managing a good end for this history. I was wondering if my practically "brand new" Sony 555, that was considered when bought (arround 25 years ago, I think), almost as the "Cadillac" of non professional CD players, would be a too old component to restore in my system. I know very well that reproducing CD's is someting that changes every two months, but I get very unhappy and nostalgic when I see my old wonder, looking as the first day, already surpassed by less expensive models. Many thanks and friendly greetings.

Funny you should ask. I use a Sony CDP-C315. Old as Moses and a changer at that!! Know what? I love it and it sounds fantastic through any amp I hook it up to. I am listening to it at this very moment with my cans on and it delivers a fantastic stage with great seperation, my AKG's absolutely love it.

If it sounds right to you, and you get teary when you look at it, how could that be wrong?!? Come here big guy!!! (Gives you a big Sony hug!!)

sachs
10-13-2009, 04:02 AM
You are a real nice guy. Enthusiastic, passional one. Seem to be Mediterranean. I swear that if I do not get a tremendous compensation from NAD I will ask for my money refund and I stay with my Sony 555. My wife and I have a 14 year old nice cat, that's perfectly healthy (she has just my same age = 72. Who will 'stop' earlier?). Many friendly regards and greetings.

Funny you should ask. I use a Sony CDP-C315. Old as Moses and a changer at that!! Know what? I love it and it sounds fantastic through any amp I hook it up to. I am listening to it at this very moment with my cans on and it delivers a fantastic stage with great seperation, my AKG's absolutely love it.

If it sounds right to you, and you get teary when you look at it, how could that be wrong?!? Come here big guy!!! (Gives you a big Sony hug!!)

poppachubby
10-13-2009, 04:17 AM
You are a real nice guy. Enthusiastic, passional one. Seem to be Mediterranean. I swear that if I do not get a tremendous compensation from NAD I will ask for my money refund and I stay with my Sony 555. My wife and I have a 14 year old nice cat, that's perfectly healthy (she has just my same age = 72. Who will 'stop' earlier?). Many friendly regards and greetings.

Mediterranean, not a terrible guess. My mother is Jamaican with British ancestry, my father is Parisian, from France of course. Gotta love Canada eh? Thanks for the cudos, I do enjoy a good laugh and some fun.

But seriously, don't get rid of your Sony because it's old or anyone here runs it down. I think most people will tell you to upgrade, and they wouldn't be wrong in doing so. Keep your eyes open to what's out there and if something comes along that excites you, go for it. I never force a purchase, I wait for the audio god to speak to me and then make my move.

JoeE SP9
10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
sachs:
As was suggested on another site where you asked the same question, get a good external DAC if you are concerned about sound quality. As long as the transport continues to spin and read discs your 555 should be fine. A new DAC with up and over sampling would improve the sound.

blackraven
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Buy a new CD player. Technology has changed and 25 years is a long time for a CD player. After Mr. P's review of the ERC-1, that would be tops on my list for a sub $700 CDP. You can add the Music Hall 25.2 cdp to that list or if you need an all in one CDP/SACD/DVD/BR take a look at the Oppo BDP 83 for $500

sachs
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
how could I do that because here is no support akready for the 555. please, try to give me a hand, greetings

sachs:
As was suggested on another site where you asked the same question, get a good external DAC if you are concerned about sound quality. As long as the transport continues to spin and read discs your 555 should be fine. A new DAC with up and over sampling would improve the sound.

sachs
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
NAD people offer me a Cambridge DAC, Is it adviceable? Please answer me soon for I have to return the unit a get the money refund. Many thanks

Buy a new CD player. Technology has changed and 25 years is a long time for a CD player. After Mr. P's review of the ERC-1, that would be tops on my list for a sub $700 CDP. You can add the Music Hall 25.2 cdp to that list or if you need an all in one CDP/SACD/DVD/BR take a look at the Oppo BDP 83 for $500

sachs
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
NAD people offer me a Cambridge DAC, Is it adviceable? Please answer me soon for I have to return the unit a get the money refund. Many thanks

how could I do that because here is no support akready for the 555. please, try to give me a hand, greetings

pixelthis
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
NAD IS "BAD".
Hate to see what has happened to this once fine company.
Had a Cassette recorder of theirs once, it was great, but with everything I have heard
lately I wouldn't buy an alarm clock from them.
As for your Sony, the tech hasn't advanced that much.
As long as you stay away from recorded discs, and it might play those.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your player was made in Japan and they didn't know
how to make bad stuff back then, lots of it still around.
Why toss it if it works? Sometimes vintage works better than the disposable stuff
out there these days.
A decent player will run at least 400 bucks, a lot just to have "new".:1:

sachs
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
my 555 runs softly and sounds apparently well. I have asked if a Cambridge CAD that offers me NAD Chile is adviceable to improve 555 sound if necessary....Many thanks

sachs:

sachs
10-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Many thanks. Actually yout points are extremely true. Those were times of commercia decency and proud to be famous for goodness, not for mediocrity. Many thanks.

NAD IS "BAD".
Hate to see what has happened to this once fine company.
Had a Cassette recorder of theirs once, it was great, but with everything I have heard
lately I wouldn't buy an alarm clock from them.
As for your Sony, the tech hasn't advanced that much.
As long as you stay away from recorded discs, and it might play those.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your player was made in Japan and they didn't know
how to make bad stuff back then, lots of it still around.
Why toss it if it works? Sometimes vintage works better than the disposable stuff
out there these days.
A decent player will run at least 400 bucks, a lot just to have "new".:1:

harley .guy07
10-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I would look into the Combridge audio DAC. Your sony has a digital audio out then running a outboard higher end DAC would definately improve the sound. Its just up to you, you could try it and see if it does what you want it to do.

sachs
10-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Tomorrow NAD people will come home with the DAC to test it. Actually my 555 sounds pretty well but there is the danger of eventual failure, and here arround, the snob Sony people do not give it support anymore. At my 72 I thing that I hardly will be able to feeel any subjective difference won't I?. Greetings

I would look into the Combridge audio DAC. Your sony has a digital audio out then running a outboard higher end DAC would definately improve the sound. Its just up to you, you could try it and see if it does what you want it to do.

harley .guy07
10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
You might not hear a difference. But then again you might. Your Cd player is 25 years old or so so there have been many more upgrades in dac's and overall output circuits in the newer units so i would at least try it to see if its worth it to you to buy. It can't hurt nothing just listening to it to see.

sachs
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
It is just 16 years old. The DAC costs US$450.00 Too much. I will use Sony 555 until it gets dead an then I will buy something really top of the line (if I do not die before...), Many, many thanks again.

You might not hear a difference. But then again you might. Your Cd player is 25 years old or so so there have been many more upgrades in dac's and overall output circuits in the newer units so i would at least try it to see if its worth it to you to buy. It can't hurt nothing just listening to it to see.

sachs
10-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I have, since yesterday, listening significative pieces of classical music: strings, piano, chamber, human voice, drums, harp, high modulation places, etc. and they sound very nice (beginnig of Beethoven's ninth by Gardiner with its "concealed" contemporary plain wood drums is perfectly listenable (it's a very eloquent piece of music for testing harmonics). The only "big" inconvenient of "grandpa" 555 is the on/off is not solenoid, then one has to turn it by hand. Transports and remote control are exceptional and completely silent. Many thanks again with friendly regards.

pixelthis
10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
It is just 16 years old. The DAC costs US$450.00 Too much. I will use Sony 555 until it gets dead an then I will buy something really top of the line (if I do not die before...), Many, many thanks again.

HAVE YOU TRIED putting your collection on computer?
With lossless recording the sound from CD is the same for all practical
purposes.
And people not around then don't really remember just how amazing Japan was in the
eighties.
We got a HDTV standard because people were afraid the Japanese were going
to dominate with their standard.
My first AV receiver was a Pioneer, late eighties.
When you fed the video through you could splitscreen and see what the picture
improvements were doing in comparison to a direct feed.
And it wasnt that expensive of a receiver.
When JAPAN HAD THEIR FIRST CRISIS a lot of the fancy stuff went away, but man, it was
magic time for awhile.
I recently saw a Pioneer sx650 , thirty five years old, no refurb, running like a charm.
Thirty five years !!!
Which is one reason I don't buy Pioneer any more, I understand the economics,
but I miss when they put out stuff that would embarass what they do today.:1:

blackraven
10-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Consider the Marantz SA5003 CDP, Music Hall 25.2 CDP, Cambidge Audio 540c.

sachs
10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Dear friend,

What do you mean with putting my CD collection in the PC?

Many thanks for all your kind comments with which I agree. I am enjoying my 555 currently and will ge my money back.

I have troubles for burning private ungapped wav CD's coming from downloaded MP3 files of continuosus music heavy tracked. Resulting CD's are fully gapped when it's most bothering. Re-ripping has been the advice. Lossles for a 72 year old listener doesn't make any difference.
Friendly greetings.

HAVE YOU TRIED putting your collection on computer?
With lossless recording the sound from CD is the same for all practical
purposes.
And people not around then don't really remember just how amazing Japan was in the
eighties.
We got a HDTV standard because people were afraid the Japanese were going
to dominate with their standard.
My first AV receiver was a Pioneer, late eighties.
When you fed the video through you could splitscreen and see what the picture
improvements were doing in comparison to a direct feed.
And it wasnt that expensive of a receiver.
When JAPAN HAD THEIR FIRST CRISIS a lot of the fancy stuff went away, but man, it was
magic time for awhile.
I recently saw a Pioneer sx650 , thirty five years old, no refurb, running like a charm.
Thirty five years !!!
Which is one reason I don't buy Pioneer any more, I understand the economics,
but I miss when they put out stuff that would embarass what they do today.:1:

joseph logston
10-14-2009, 02:33 PM
hi sachs, i have a old sony dvp-7000s player i use as a transport it works dam good, its built like a tank it haves double lazer pickups, one for cds one for dvds , i had it, & use it a lot, for 12 or 13 yrs, it havent missed a beat. i know that some day its going out or it will out live me this is my fist post in this forum hi every one

joe

harley .guy07
10-14-2009, 04:09 PM
hello Joe Welcome to the forum. I am glad to be able to relate to sachs in that you guys have similar players from around the same erra. Its good for people with like gear to find each other so they can share setups and modifications that could make the gear better and better yet. Just chat it up about the hobby that we all seem to have a passion for. good to meet you sir.

sachs
10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Many very kind and friendly greetings. I share the pleasure of this encounter.

joseph logston
10-14-2009, 04:39 PM
think you so much i am 65 retired tile setter been in audio for at lest 30 yrs got a lot of old stuff

thanks,

joe

harley .guy07
10-14-2009, 07:51 PM
A tile setter thats cool. I was a union carpenter untill a person pulled in front of my harley in the middle of an intersection and caused permanent knee damage so I can't work in the trades any more but I loved it while I did it. now I am in the process of a new career.

joseph logston
10-15-2009, 07:52 AM
thanks harley i was in bac union for over 25 yrs. it never got boring at all and its harder to do tile than i looks i work the union lumber yards 20 yrs before tile, the lumber yards got boring

joe

harley .guy07
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah I am going to miss it. but I have to find another career do to my injuries. Doctor advised me to quit. He said if I kept doing the carpenter trade I would be back to see him within a year or two for total knee replacement. So I am looking at going back to school and finding another career.

joseph logston
10-15-2009, 12:48 PM
yes i know the trades are hard on the body whats is the average burnout age on the framers is 28 yrs.old, but we have a wonderful feeling about building something with are hands you cant take away there is a lot of educated perfessonals would love to do what we have done. my brother haves paradigm speakers to i like them i have 12 yr old polk rt-7 and they sound real good the old stuff is still good stuff

joe

JoeE SP9
10-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi to Joe from another Joe. I just turned 62 and retired. A lot of my gear is "vintage" also.

harley .guy07
10-16-2009, 04:11 PM
yes i know the trades are hard on the body whats is the average burnout age on the framers is 28 yrs.old, but we have a wonderful feeling about building something with are hands you cant take away there is a lot of educated perfessonals would love to do what we have done. my brother haves paradigm speakers to i like them i have 12 yr old polk rt-7 and they sound real good the old stuff is still good stuff

joe

Yeah I think thats what I will miss the most, the joy of finishing a job and seeing what your own two hands just built. About the only other thing that gives me that is I do build and modify speakers as a small side trade and I do get that same kind of feeling out of designing,building, and tuning,listening to my own speakers that I built and designed. It takes knowing crossover designs, cabinet building, and knowing how to figure and execute building the right size of cabinet and to go sealed cabinet of ported, and of course what size and length the port will be. I do still get that feeling from my speaker builds but I don't do them every day. usually its a couple of months or so in between builds for friends and family.

joseph logston
10-16-2009, 05:03 PM
hi joeE & harley thanks

i guess we are old like are gear, but as we keep are minds to a good hobbys like audio and viedio we will stay sharp, i like fishing to i keep bizzy working on the house & yard to
there mite be a lot of us on this forum i have some new stuff to sony blu ray s550. 80g zune, 46" sharp 64u lcd pannel but i love my 2 channel system

harley .guy07
10-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Joseph how do you like your RX-V1. I know when it came out it was the receiver to have. It was at the top of the ratings for quite a while. I do like the higher end Yamaha stuff. The RX-V1 seemed to be the last model that Yamaha made that caught the publics eye though. It seems their products today arent as popular or maybe their quality has slipped a little bit I don't know but it seems that this unit is one people still remember as a very good one.

joseph logston
10-16-2009, 05:54 PM
its been great had it for 13 yrs. its been upgraded once, thats it the amp is super quite
i put a denon poa-2400 2 channel amp for my mains my two channel realy sounds good now got the denon 1987 new for $700.

joseph logston
10-16-2009, 06:07 PM
been trying to upload a picture for you, what happen to sacks

harley .guy07
10-16-2009, 06:22 PM
I don't know. Yeah I would like to see a picture of your setup. It seems quite similar to mine in many respects. Yamaha receivers make pretty good preamps for two channel stereo. Much better than I expected in respect to it being a receiver but it does a very good job as a preamp. I also worked with Denon products when I sold higher end audio products and they make a very good product as well. When I sold audio back in the mid to late 90's Yamaha and Denon were head to head as far a performance and quality build. We sold more Yamaha but I think that had to do with the fact that in my area Yamaha was more well known. But Denon performed as well and was priced around the same area. I like the fact that you are running two subs, for most applications running two subs seems to even out the bass responce and overcome your rooms shortcomings if both subs are placed in the right places. If you can figure out how to send a picture of your stuff I would love to see it. A picture of my equipment is in the DIY section of this forum under the speaker modification thread. take a look and tell me what you think. I have explained on their what speakers I have and how I have modified them to be much better than stock. Take a look

joseph logston
10-16-2009, 06:38 PM
harley try to click on my joseph logston at one of my post its the blue name

joseph logston
10-16-2009, 06:41 PM
harley try to click on josph logston to the left click on profile gallery

joseph logston
10-16-2009, 06:43 PM
click on profile scrow down then click on gallary

joseph logston
10-16-2009, 06:47 PM
just click on user gallary under my name