Soundtracks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Soundtracks

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I've been spinning the soundtrack to Les Miserables this afternoon. I've seen the play four times. I haven't listened to the soundtrack in a long time and I've forgotten just how much I love it. I am, of course, listening to it on my new Paradigm Studio 60's and it just sounds beautiful.

Do you listen to soundtracks? If so, what are some of your favourite play or movie soundtracks?

3LB
10-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Depends on the soundtrack. Are you referring to actual songs from the broadway version or a movie score?

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Depends on the soundtrack. Are you referring to actual songs from the broadway version or a movie score?

Whatever pleases your ears.

JohnMichael
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Funny that you ask, I was just listening to "In The Heights". What an incredible musical. I hope to see the traveling company perform it this November.

I also have seen and play the music from "A Chorus Line". Was caught singing along once "tits when am I going to grow tits".

Hyfi
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Passenger 57 soundtrack is all Stanley Clarke and a true test of bass reproduction along with a structural foundation test of your house.

After watching the movie 'In Bruges' 4x now, I am looking for the music from this movie.

3LB
10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
well then, nothing real special. Movie score albums tend to bore me. Some movies are more conducive to songs than others. The most recent soundtrack I liked and actually own, is Almost Famous. Before that it was Singles. Fast Times (at Ridgemont High was OK). I've found that a lot of soundtracks lose their impact out of context with the visual. Prolly has a lot to do with the movies I watch.

poppachubby
10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Great topic FA! On the whole I've never been a big fan of soundtracks. I find for the most part, it's an incohesive mix of genres and styles. Things have got alot better however with Hollywood almost telling a story with popular music added to the mix.

http://perso.modulonet.fr/~liballet/DonEllis/non-don/Curtis%20Mayfield%20-%20Superfly.jpg

Curtis Mayfield is one of my all time faves. This album is something to behold. As far as theme and lyrical content, Mayfield was like the 50 Cent of his time. I still reach for this every now and again. I don't know too many people who can resist singing along to Pusherman.

..."a man of odd circumstance, a victim of ghetto demands"...oh ya, sing it Curtis!!

http://hahamusic.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/superfly.jpg

poppachubby
10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I've been spinning the soundtrack to Les Miserables this afternoon. I've seen the play four times. I haven't listened to the soundtrack in a long time and I've forgotten just how much I love it. I am, of course, listening to it on my new Paradigm Studio 60's and it just sounds beautiful.

Do you listen to soundtracks? If so, what are some of your favourite play or movie soundtracks?

Are you listening to the broadway original w/ Colm Wilkinson? Man that guy can sing. My mother is HUGE into musicals and operas. "Les Mis" was one of the first that I actually enjoyed on my own, without my Mom crankin it through the house. Of course, growing up in Toronto, Phantom of the Opera could be seen for less than it cost to buy the soundtrack. God, it must have run for about 13 years.

markw
10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
I've always been amazed by the clarity and imaging of the original Broadway cast recording of "West Side Story". If you don't have it yet, they just re-issued it and threw in Bernsteins Symphonic Suite as a free bonus.

JohnMichael
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I've always been amazed by the clarity and imaging of the original Broadway cast recording of "West Side Story". If you don't have it yet, they just re-issued it and threw in Bernsteins Symphonic Suite as a free bonus.

Mark you might be interested in a recent recording of West Side Story. It is on the Decca label. Hayley Westerna and Vittorio Grigolo in the lead roles.

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Are you listening to the broadway original w/ Colm Wilkinson? Man that guy can sing. My mother is HUGE into musicals and operas. "Les Mis" was one of the first that I actually enjoyed on my own, without my Mom crankin it through the house. Of course, growing up in Toronto, Phantom of the Opera could be seen for less than it cost to buy the soundtrack. God, it must have run for about 13 years.

Yes, that's the one. I've seen Les Mis with both Wilkinson and Michael Burgess. I prefer Micheal Burgess in the role.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Phantom during it's 400 year run in Toronto. Wilkinson was excellent in that...although I'm not a fan of the show itself. Too "opera-ey" for my taste. I love musicals, but don't like opera singing.

A great movie soundtrack that I enjoy is I Am Sam. The soundtrack is made up of Beatles covers by modern day musicians and most of them are quite good.

poppachubby
10-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes, that's the one. I've seen Les Mis with both Wilkinson and Michael Burgess. I prefer Micheal Burgess in the role.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Phantom during it's 400 year run in Toronto. Wilkinson was excellent in that...although I'm not a fan of the show itself. Too "opera-ey" for my taste. I love musicals, but don't like opera singing.

A great movie soundtrack that I enjoy is I Am Sam. The soundtrack is made up of Beatles covers by modern day musicians and most of them are quite good.

Ya, Hide Your Love Away is one of my fave Lennon cuts. Pearl Jam did a great job.

3LB
10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
It is on the Decca label. Is Decca still in existance? Or is it a reprint. FWIW, I have a reprint* (won it in a contest) by First Impressions Music XRCD (an audiophile label) of a Decca classic, Film Spectacular II (I think from '62) with exerps from different films of the era like Lawrence Of Arabia, On The Waterfront, My Fair Lady, Magnificant Seven, etc. Stunning clarity and presence, but I think Decca was one of those labels with a good rep for recording quality back then.

*edit: actually, re-issue is more accurate, but this small label specializes in recordings that have not yet been transfered to CD, so who knows.

JohnMichael
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
3LB the label is Decca Broadway, A Universal Music Company and the copyright is 2007. The recording you have sounds interesting.

Stone
10-13-2009, 04:57 AM
I'm not much into the music from musicals or the actual scores of movies, but I do like the sound track albums for these movies:

The Harder They Come
Repo Man
Rockers
Pretty In Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful
Run Lola Run

Mr MidFi
10-13-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm Not There.

34 covers of Dylan songs, by an amazing lineup of all-star talent. Check it out...
http://www.amazon.com/Im-Not-There-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B000VS6P9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255441889&sr=1-1

poppachubby
10-13-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm Not There.

34 covers of Dylan songs, by an amazing lineup of all-star talent. Check it out...
http://www.amazon.com/Im-Not-There-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B000VS6P9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255441889&sr=1-1

This is a great recommendation Midfi!! I bought this on vinyl, not the greatest pressing but sounds good. Being a huge Dylan fan, I enjoyed everyone's spin on some of his greatest songs. However, I found myself reaching for my Dylan originals, longing for that trademark howl.

I think the best and only cover that someone "made" their own was Hendrix' cover of All Along the Watchtower. It's odd because so many artists with greater voices and playing ability have covered Dylan, yet to me, none can come close. His style is just so honest and real, conveying the essence of everything he sings. Most Dylan covers, I find, you really hear someone singing someone elses song.

Blabbing on here, probably overkill, I just really like Dylan. Anyhow great rec MidFi and yes definitely a unique soudntrack.

Ex Lion Tamer
10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm not much into the music from musicals or the actual scores of movies, but I do like the sound track albums for these movies:

The Harder They Come
Repo Man
Rockers

I like these two. I'd add in a couple of Jonathan Demme flicks that are in a similar vein...

Something Wild
Married to the Mob

oh and Grosse Point Blank has some choice 80s music in there too.

Mr MidFi
10-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Oh, that's right. I forgot about Grosse Point Blank soundtrack! I'll have to dig that one out of the mothballs sometime soon. Along with that other Cusack soundtrack classic, High Fidelity.

3LB
10-14-2009, 01:38 PM
just thought of a couple more. The soundtrack to the first X-Files movie and Escape From LA - found both of those in a pawn shop and they're currently on MP3 rotation.

which High Fidelity soundtrack - the actual one, or the original cast recording from the musical?

Jimmy B
10-15-2009, 09:20 PM
If i can chime in on this?
Top of my list would be the soundtrack from the movie West Side Story, my mother had it blaring throughout the house when we had to clean, it still sounds good!
Score wise the 89 batman movie with music by Danny Elfman
"Shining Through" score by Micheal Kamen
Rocky 1 by Bill Conti Last 3 tracks are incredible. I would love to find the score by Conti from a movie "Blood in Blood Out Bound by Honor"
Jimmy B

MasterCylinder
10-16-2009, 04:52 AM
I like soundtracks................my daughter is a musical theater nut............she knows all about the music that has accompanied Broadway for decades........much more that she would know about modern pop like all the other kids her age.

We hear a lot of ALW music.........Cats, Phantom, Dreamcoat, etc.
She really loves the music from WICKED right now...........good stuff.

When I was a kid, the soundtrack from EASY RIDER was in my cassette player often.
We would ride around town and absorb the 8-track tapes from WOODSTOCK...............Great stuff.

ForeverAutumn
10-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Score wise the 89 batman movie with music by Danny Elfman

I have that one too. I haven't listened to it in ages!

We hear a lot of ALW music.........Cats, Phantom, Dreamcoat, etc.
She really loves the music from WICKED right now...........good stuff.

I loved Dreamcoat...until I listened to it so much that I started to hate it. :D Wicked was a great play! I don't really remember the music to it though.

I think I need to pick up a copy of West Side Story.

Stone
10-16-2009, 06:03 AM
I like these two. I'd add in a couple of Jonathan Demme flicks that are in a similar vein...

Something Wild
Married to the Mob

oh and Grosse Point Blank has some choice 80s music in there too.

I've never heard the Something Wild soundtrack but I do have the Married to the Mob sdtk. with the fantastic Eno cover of "You Don't Miss Your Water." I also have both volumes of the Grosse Point Blank sdtk., which I forgot about and are both excellent.

Mr MidFi
10-16-2009, 07:18 AM
which High Fidelity soundtrack - the actual one, or the original cast recording from the musical?

There's a musical? Really?

{goes all google-y for a second}

Well I'll be damned...
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7416900/a/High+Fidelity:+A+Musical.htm