Magico M5 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magico M5

harley .guy07
10-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I know these speakers are above most people budget(I know mine) but I keep hearing glowing reviews of this speaker and I am just wondering if anyone has actually heard a set of these and what they thought. I know these are dream speakers for the super welthy but I just have to get some thoughts form some people that aren't on the books for a high end magazine or works for a dealer and have a check that tells them to say good things about them. I read up on them and it seems like the designer did his home work in making them but my problem is I don't have a dealer around me that deals in that high end of equipment so if someone out there has had the chance to hear them I would like to know what they thought, just for my own knowledge of what that kind of money can buy you in speakers in todays world.

Jimmy C
10-11-2009, 12:49 PM
,,,but I'll tell ya one thing... I have yet to be impressed by a speaker at ca. $10K - Martin Logan, Krell, B&W, Snell, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, Thiel, Quad... don't get me wrong, ALL of them did SOMETHING better that my system, but "diminishing returns" sets in very quickly IMO.

My nearest Magico dealer would be in Manhattan (I'm on Long Island) but I don't think they want me kickin' tires in there...

I'm having fun now... off the merry-go-round for a bit... I do, however, need a new cart :*( ... and a better phono-pre... and...

Like the late J. Gordon Holt said:

From Stereophile...

"The better the recording, the worse the performance... and vice versa".

And...

"The shriller the advertisement, the worse the product"

I can definitely vouch for the first!

harley .guy07
10-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I do understand what you are saying. After a certain price point I think the improvements that are heard are so small that the difference is not worth the investment. I do know that some people will argue with me about this because there are plenty of people out there that are welthy and would chuck out 89 grand for a speaker system but not me, even if I was welthy! I just don't see the need when heavenly sound can be had at 10 grand or less and if people would quit playing the mine is bigger than yours(or cost more) game then these companies could not price their stuff so damn high. Its kind of redicullas really.

E-Stat
10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
After a certain price point I think the improvements that are heard are so small that the difference is not worth the investment.
I have been fortunate to have been friends with a couple of audio reviewers over a long period of time and have been exposed to a far wider range of gear than many. On paper, the review system of one is worth around $300k. So, what does that buy you? It allows you to hear things in your recordings that you've never heard before. It makes the walls disappear and transports you to a far larger space. It is a bit of a musical "holodeck". It allows you to forget that you are sitting in a room listening to electronics. Can I afford such? Certainly not. Can I appreciate the huge difference in sound? You betcha!

rw

harley .guy07
10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh I am not saying there are not differences when money is no object systems but me like most have to keep reality in check and realize that a system of that stature is something that I will probably never own, and part of doing that is finding components that first I can afford, do modifications to improve performance when I see the need(like my current speakers),and know my monitary limits and just know that whatever equipment I get do my ressearch and get the right stuff for me and then sit back and enjoy having what I have. Thats all a person can do really. These systems have their owners and I have studied the various money is no object designs and I do like hearing what people have to say about them because the area I live in for the most part does not have the economy for people that could afford this level of equipment would live. Just like I appreciate ferrari's hand built quality of craftmanship and performance these components are great for the sound reproduction industry do to the fact that most of the technology learned in these products filters down into more affordable products to some degree and thats a good thing.