Used M&K speaker system..Good deal?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Used M&K speaker system..Good deal??

twwesn
03-24-2004, 08:48 PM
I know of a guy who has a speaker system consisting of the following:
3-M&K 750 THX Select (L,R,C)
2-M&K 55 (surrounds)
He wants $1000 for the set, is this a good value?? I've read that the 750's are rated at 4 ohms and I have an Onkyo 474 receiver (approx 4 years old, 55 watts/ch), would these speakers sound poorly with my current receiver??

topspeed
03-25-2004, 05:09 PM
I know of a guy who has a speaker system consisting of the following:
3-M&K 750 THX Select (L,R,C)
2-M&K 55 (surrounds)
He wants $1000 for the set, is this a good value?? I've read that the 750's are rated at 4 ohms and I have an Onkyo 474 receiver (approx 4 years old, 55 watts/ch), would these speakers sound poorly with my current receiver??

Is your receiver rated for a 4 ohm load? Don't forget that's a 4 ohm nominal load so it will dip below 4. Check for the lowest the speakers will drop to and then verify that your receiver can handle it. My guess is it will be OK as long as you don't try to blast the windows out.

Regarding the "value" question, only you can determine this. If it sounds unbeatable to you with your receiver in your room then yes, it's a good value. I'd go listen to a lot of other systems first however to make sure the M&K sound is what you like.

Good luck

twwesn
03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
I have listened to the M&K brand at a local store and am impressed with the sound I heard from the less expensive models so I would venture to guess that these should sound even better. My other options are piecing together a bookshelf system with Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's or a sub/sat system (like the Polk RM6700 or Energy Take 5) due to the size ultimatum (wife factor). As far as my receiver goes, I dug into the manual a little and it states to use speakers that are rated for a minimum of 6 ohms.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-25-2004, 07:13 PM
M&K speakers are very good speakers. However the particular models you mention must be used with a THX certified receiver, or a receiver that is comfortable playing very loud with 4 ohm speakers. This is a high current design, but I just don't think it would do well with 4ohm speakers

topspeed
03-25-2004, 11:49 PM
6 ohm minimum? This is a bad match. You need either different speakers or it's time to upgrade your receiver.

A question for The Terrible One:
Why did you recommend a THX Certified receiver? Does the certification process mandate that the amp must be able to carry a 4 ohm or lower load? Just curious.

twwesn
04-18-2004, 06:38 PM
If I got a new receiver to run the M&K's, would a receiver like the Yamaha 1400(5790), Denon 3803, or Onkyo 801 be a good enough class of receivers to handle the 4 ohm speakers??