Just pulled the trigger, BIC DV84 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just pulled the trigger, BIC DV84

zedicus
10-10-2009, 06:44 PM
This will be my first post here so I want to first introduce myself. I am a 22 year old college student that knows how to appreciate decent sound. I am by no means an audiophile - I actually think some $50 headphones sound good with my Samsung P2. Although it could be that I have never actually experienced anything else.

I have been using my JVC compact system for my movies and music, but recently I have been given an unexpected $2k and wanted to upgrade my system. My parents have always had these seemingly nice almost antique pioneer speakers that really gave a movie theater appeal without the over processed bass. My goal was to buy something that was below $600 total for my sound system and have something that can at least mimic what they have.

So, my project led me to the only decent electronics store in my area - Best Buy. I ended up purchasing a moderate

Pioneer VSX-819H receiver
Polk Audio PSW110 10" powered sub
and a pair of Sony SS-B1000 speakers

total of $533.33

Sadly upon getting home and letting them play for 30+ hours I wan't overly impressed. I understand my room is smaller and I am not able to actually place everything where they need to be placed, but I was still expecting more. The sub and the receiver were fine, but the speakers seemed to be better compliments then actual front speakers.

So then I finally decided I needed to upgrade my speakers, however, upon looking around online I was surprised at the very high prices. Of course you get what you pay for seems to be true in the audio area more so than not, but I just didn't have the funds for that extra pay for.

That being said, my options came between the Sony 7000 and the BIC 84's. The Sony's were cheaper coming at only $200(pair), while the BIC's were $279(pair). The abundant reviews raved over the Sony's, but it was a lot harder to find any reviews for the BIC's...

Well, I don't know a lot about speakers so, based solely off a statement somebody made "its better to buy speakers from a speaker company then anyone else" I jumped on the BIC's.

I hope I made the right choice on some decent speakers, any input would be nice; even though I already payed for them - I can always cancel my order.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I really just wanted to introduce myself and set up a post for a review to come on my new purchase - stupid ground shipping :wink5:

harley .guy07
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Honestly in my opinion either one of these speakers will fill the bill but in the long run you might end up in the same place you are now. For the price you have spent on those BIC you could probably find a pair of used Paradigms, or Axioms off of Ebay. The two speakers you mentioned are of the low end variety and you are mostly paying for the sony of BIC name and not the drivers,crossover, or cabinets as they are of very cheap quality. I know it might take a little more time and footwork(web searching) for a used quality speaker but you will be rewarded in the long run. There are plenty of us on this site that can help you with what to look for and if the price is right. I would just hate for you to throw your money away on speakers that you will not be happy with in the long run.

poppachubby
10-10-2009, 08:01 PM
It would seem at this point, you will be the one to tell us how they sound. If you really can cancel your order than I'm certain you can find better quality used within your budget. Is there a Craigs List for your area? Secondly, are they just for HT or will they serve in a music function also?

zedicus
10-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, I decided to cancel my order.

However, now I am sort of lost... I have read tons of people asking for speakers within x price range, but receiving responses above x price range - is it really that hard to find something under say $400. I prefer new however if I can get something for relatively cheap then I won't mind used especially if local.

I have checked my local classifieds as well as my local D.I and haven't found anything worth having except a pair of pioneer cs-b5000 speakers for $10. They were ok but I ended up giving them to my sister.

I ran to Best Buy again today and listened to the Sony 5000, the Klipsch vf-36 and 35 (Best Buy only models), and the polk audio ti400's. I highly preferred the Klipsch vf-36 over even the 35, and next was the polk audio... I also noticed how much extra power/volume it took to make the Sony's perform the same loudness wise as the others. Bookshelves though I preferred the Polk's (not sure of model) over all the others.

Based off of that, and sorry if this has been asked 10,000 times, what should I be looking at?

I am going to run down to a local furniture store that happens to carry Paradigm and test them out - they do seem expensive but I might be able to buy the floor model.

Thanks again, and thanks for saving me from a possibly unhappy purchase.

Travis

edit - I found a pair of Klipsch F-3 speakers for $395. I am still researching the speakers but would this be a deal?

poppachubby
10-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, I decided to cancel my order.

However, now I am sort of lost... I have read tons of people asking for speakers within x price range, but receiving responses above x price range - is it really that hard to find something under say $400. I prefer new however if I can get something for relatively cheap then I won't mind used especially if local.

I have checked my local classifieds as well as my local D.I and haven't found anything worth having except a pair of pioneer cs-b5000 speakers for $10. They were ok but I ended up giving them to my sister.

I ran to Best Buy again today and listened to the Sony 5000, the Klipsch vf-36 and 35 (Best Buy only models), and the polk audio ti400's. I highly preferred the Klipsch vf-36 over even the 35, and next was the polk audio... I also noticed how much extra power/volume it took to make the Sony's perform the same loudness wise as the others. Bookshelves though I preferred the Polk's (not sure of model) over all the others.

Based off of that, and sorry if this has been asked 10,000 times, what should I be looking at?

I am going to run down to a local furniture store that happens to carry Paradigm and test them out - they do seem expensive but I might be able to buy the floor model.

Thanks again, and thanks for saving me from a possibly unhappy purchase.

Travis

edit - I found a pair of Klipsch F-3 speakers for $395. I am still researching the speakers but would this be a deal?

Zed, zed ,zed...... SLOW DOWN!! Take a breath.....feel better? It seems like you're in a massive rush to get speakers, this will only serve to help you make a hasty, bad decision. If you want proper advice, you will have to give more details on what it is you hope to get from these speakers.

So I ask again, are these just for H/T or for music too? Are you still running the Pio and the Polk sub? Is your budget 200 or 400? Details man, details...I know your eager to buy but no one can help without the right info.

I'll make sure at least a couple of the guys with good knowledge look at this after your next post, OK? My speaker knowledge is average at best...

poppachubby
10-11-2009, 05:40 PM
BTW I would buy Paradigm over Klipsch any day...

zedicus
10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Sorry - seems to happen when I get my mind set on something ;)

Ok, I am still using the Pioneer Receiver and Polk Sub - they sound fine to me.

My primary use would be music with occasional movies, probably 65/35% respectably.

Also, my budget is $400 for a pair of speakers. I will spend slightly more if it is worth it...

so:
$400 budget for speakers (prefer towers over bookshelf unless reason otherwise)
Audio/Video is 65/35% respectably.

Thanks, Travis

harley .guy07
10-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I would go look at the Paradigms and if anything you will get a sense of what they sound like and how they compare to the best buy speakers. I would almost say that you will prefer the Paradigms over the speakers at best buy, they are in a different league in my opinion and I would know I used to sell them. I have heard pretty much all the speakers that best buy handles and I do know that you can do better than them used or new somewhere else. I will say at your price point staying with a bookshelf size speaker you will get a better designed and built speaker for your 400 bucks. Thats just my opinion.

Freewillisdead112
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Axiom bookshelfs for your price range would be good. They get rave reviews online and seem to have a great price to performance factor!

Rudy Gireyev
10-11-2009, 08:42 PM
A couple more things for you to look into and research, and hopefully audition:
1. PSB Alpha bookshelf speakers are a mere $250 a pair or so and have gotten very favorable reviews.
2. Also These Energy C 500 (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC500) have been suggested numerous times by members of this site. As you can see from the link they are floorstanders and are under $400 for a pair.

Good Luck.
Rudy

blackraven
10-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Z, I would strongly consider these with your budget

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC500

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC300

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BOCS226

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

dont forget, that with bookshelf speakers, you will need to spend an extra$75-100 for decent stands to get the best sound from them.

I would also consider this av receiver http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605596-REG/Onkyo_TX_SR507B_TX_SR507_Home_Theater_Receiver.htm l#features

and this cd player http://bestofaudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=2&products_id=8964&osCsid=ed026c31a8d7769b311fd4a59e04cfcb

harley .guy07
10-11-2009, 10:47 PM
I would say that any of these speakers would be soomething to look at and if possible worth going and listening to if there are dealers in your area. All of these speakers that are mentioned would outclass the speakers from best buy in build quality and overall sound quality aspects. I would just say to take your time and have fun looking around and listening to different speakers and finding out what you like and go from there. And the worst thing you could do is stress out and make the search something harder than what it is. Taking your time and doing the research will allow you to make a purchase you will be happy with for a long time.

poppachubby
10-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Can't add much more Zed, these guys ran with it. Where do you live? Seems like you're really limited with selection. If there's a Best Buy around, there must be some other decent shops too.

Research, auditioning and the like is my favorite part of buying. I agree with harley, try to enjoy it and learn all you can. Keep us posted!!!

blackraven
10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Z, www.audioadvisor has a 30 day money back guarantee. Those Energy speakers are a great deal. Also check out www.saturdayaudio.com for great deals on equipment.

atomicAdam
10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Axiom bookshelfs for your price range would be good. They get rave reviews online and seem to have a great price to performance factor!

a good return policy to boot.

harley .guy07
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
And from what I understand most of the people who order Axioms speakers are satisfied with them. While they are not the highest end designs and better can be found out there they are probably one of the more popular speakers for people looking in the under 1000 dollar price range and at 400 bucks give or take is exactly where zedicus is at. You could probably get used off of audiogon or e-bay and possibly find a better speaker Axiom has a very good return policy and warranty and could probably be a good choice given your budget. Zedicus if I was you I would at least go to there web site and take a look at them as they are an online order only company so you won't be finding them in your local hi fi shop. They have a pretty extensive web site that is well explained and has many options to choose from

poppachubby
10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't you have a Craig's List in your area? I just saw a pair of Dynaco A25 for $70 in my area. I'm assuming this isn't an option for you...

LeRoy
10-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry - seems to happen when I get my mind set on something ;)

Ok, I am still using the Pioneer Receiver and Polk Sub - they sound fine to me.

My primary use would be music with occasional movies, probably 65/35% respectably.

Also, my budget is $400 for a pair of speakers. I will spend slightly more if it is worth it...

so:
$400 budget for speakers (prefer towers over bookshelf unless reason otherwise)
Audio/Video is 65/35% respectably.

Thanks, Travis

MORDAUNT SHORT Avant 902i Bookshelf Speakers

Retail Price: $450.00
Our Price: $225.00
You save: $225.00 (50%)

Free shipping

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php

I bought these exact same model of speaker about 3 weeks ago and I think they are the best speaker I have ever bought to date. I would buy these speakers again! In fact I now have my ears set on getting the Mezzo 6 floorstander's if I can get a good deal on them.

My past bookshelf purchases have been Energy C-1, Polk RTi-4, Usher S-520, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, and Kef-IQ3. I also had PSB B-1 used as surround for a HT system. I will not buy speakers from these manufacturers again.

I currently also have the Nola Mini speakers but feel overall the M.S. are more musical
though lack the larger bass of the larger bookshelf.

The M.S. are a no brainer purchase. :)

If you want to consider something in a similar price range
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO S30, $199.00 at http://www.digitalcraze.com/Default.asp
or the same speaker at http://www.audioadvisor.com/ for $219.00.

The reviews for the M.S. and for the Cambridge can be found on
http://www.whathifi.com/

Good luck with your research and decision.

LeRoy

daviethek
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Superb recommendations so far. Add Athena to the list of speakers. Reasonable price for all their floorstanders.

http://www.thefind.com/electronics/browse-athena-floor-speakers

For Interconnects I recommend Belkin from Parts Express. Incredibly cheap and good sounding . Get your speaker wire there also, 12 to 14 ga. should be fine for your apps.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-652

Mostly, just have fun. Audio on the cheap is where its at. do some creative buying and you will not be sorry.

daviethek
10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Also, for a player, you will probably need a universal player and the OPPO units are cheap and highly rated for both audio and video. The basic upsampling units are under 200.00. I think. Their Blue Ray player got rave reviews but you are talking about 500.00

zedicus
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Thank you all for your Awesome feedback!

poppachubby - I live in St. George area, the Craigslist here is VERY limited. I even tried the Salt Lake Craigslist, and KSL classifieds but came up empty handed. Also, our only stores that have speakers is Best Buy, Boulevard home furnishings (paradigm distributor), and a car audio shop that happens to have a few home audio speakers with an inch of dust on them.

Anyways, I went to my local home furnishings store today to listen to the Paradigm speakers, (what a joke) not the speakers - the furniture store. Their speaker/receiver switches didn't even work, and none of the employees were even remotely willing to help me get them set up to listen to them... So, after arguing with the so called "Audio" guy for about an hour trying to get him to get me a receiver set up so I could hear the speakers, I decided to just do it myself.

In the TV section they had an 83" Mitsubishi LCD television hooked up to some low end Samsung box system. So, I unconnected the paradigm speakers from the speaker department and hauled them over to the TV section where I ripped the Samsung cords out and plugged in the paradigms.

Then all of the sudden, as if pushing play opened up some magic box, a gorgeous sound proceeded from the sleek speakers that sat before me. A small frog jumped around from the store demo of "The Princess and the Frog", and I heard every detail. Still unsatisfied, I plugged in my P2 in the aux port and played one of my favorite songs, "Whats Up" from 4 Non Blondes. All I can say is WOW.

While I was standing there with my mouth hanging open and my eyes closed, I heard somebody behind me say, "I want this setup honey". I turned around and there stood probably a dozen people listening to the sweet raspy melodies of Linda Perry, all seemingly just as intrigued as me.

About 3 minutes later the "Audio" guy came over saying that I shouldn't have touched the equipment, I should have waited for someone to help me - because they were trying real hard.... Well, I asked him what prices were and after some swaggeling I was able to get some pretty decent quotes I think.

I tried
Studio 20 (not sure of version, 4 I think)
Monitor 7 (version 5)

Both were stunning, however I thought that the Studio 20's were a tad to bright for my tastes; while the monitor 7's were near perfect.

I wanted to try more but apparently Paradigm is pulling their licence because they haven't sold enough speakers in the last year - I wanted to say (excuse my french) no ****, maybe if your customers could actually listen to them. I probably made at least one sale just because I actually did something.

I was quoted
- $748 for the Studio 20's new in box and $648 for the floor model. (Pair)
- $549 for the Monitor 7's new in box and $500 for the floor model. (Pair)
- Also, they had a very nice looking center that said originally $999 marked down to $499 (not sure of model... it wasn't really accessible) (Single)

I am going to try to listen to more speakers, and even have a good friend of mine whom ears I trust to try some speakers in Vegas. That way I will only have to do that 1.5 hour drive once if he finds something.

Thanks again, I will keep you updated - I am really considering those Monitor 7's :P a wee over my price range but they offer 1 year no payment no interest. As long as the "Audio" guy stays in charge I don't see them selling their last set soon. If all of these other recommendations sound as good as the paradigms I may be in trouble ;)

I look forward to keeping this search going

Travis

poppachubby
10-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Thank you all for your Awesome feedback!

poppachubby - I live in St. George area, the Craigslist here is VERY limited. I even tried the Salt Lake Craigslist, and KSL classifieds but came up empty handed. Also, our only stores that have speakers is Best Buy, Boulevard home furnishings (paradigm distributor), and a car audio shop that happens to have a few home audio speakers with an inch of dust on them.

Anyways, I went to my local home furnishings store today to listen to the Paradigm speakers, (what a joke) not the speakers - the furniture store. Their speaker/receiver switches didn't even work, and none of the employees were even remotely willing to help me get them set up to listen to them... So, after arguing with the so called "Audio" guy for about an hour trying to get him to get me a receiver set up so I could hear the speakers, I decided to just do it myself.

In the TV section they had an 83" Mitsubishi LCD television hooked up to some low end Samsung box system. So, I unconnected the paradigm speakers from the speaker department and hauled them over to the TV section where I ripped the Samsung cords out and plugged in the paradigms.

Then all of the sudden, as if pushing play opened up some magic box, a gorgeous sound proceeded from the sleek speakers that sat before me. A small frog jumped around from the store demo of "The Princess and the Frog", and I heard every detail. Still unsatisfied, I plugged in my P2 in the aux port and played one of my favorite songs, "Whats Up" from 4 Non Blondes. All I can say is WOW.

While I was standing there with my mouth hanging open and my eyes closed, I heard somebody behind me say, "I want this setup honey". I turned around and there stood probably a dozen people listening to the sweet raspy melodies of Linda Perry, all seemingly just as intrigued as me.

About 3 minutes later the "Audio" guy came over saying that I shouldn't have touched the equipment, I should have waited for someone to help me - because they were trying real hard.... Well, I asked him what prices were and after some swaggeling I was able to get some pretty decent quotes I think.

I tried
Studio 20 (not sure of version, 4 I think)
Monitor 7 (version 5)

Both were stunning, however I thought that the Studio 20's were a tad to bright for my tastes; while the monitor 7's were near perfect.

I wanted to try more but apparently Paradigm is pulling their licence because they haven't sold enough speakers in the last year - I wanted to say (excuse my french) no ****, maybe if your customers could actually listen to them. I probably made at least one sale just because I actually did something.

I was quoted
- $748 for the Studio 20's new in box and $648 for the floor model. (Pair)
- $549 for the Monitor 7's new in box and $500 for the floor model. (Pair)
- Also, they had a very nice looking center that said originally $999 marked down to $499 (not sure of model... it wasn't really accessible) (Single)

I am going to try to listen to more speakers, and even have a good friend of mine whom ears I trust to try some speakers in Vegas. That way I will only have to do that 1.5 hour drive once if he finds something.

Thanks again, I will keep you updated - I am really considering those Monitor 7's :P a wee over my price range but they offer 1 year no payment no interest. As long as the "Audio" guy stays in charge I don't see them selling their last set soon. If all of these other recommendations sound as good as the paradigms I may be in trouble ;)

I look forward to keeping this search going

Travis

Hahhaa, great story Travis! Strange sales technique over there. Yes Paradigm make some decent speaks but I think they are probably asking a little too much. I was looking at Leroy's MS recommendation, real nice stuff!! Great price too. Raven has made some good suggestions too. I think your best bet lies on the internet in terms of hitting your budget. Just be aware of size and style as you do your listening, alot of these companies tend to copy each pther. Some models, you hear one you hear them all..I'm getting excited for you, there's so many great choices in your price range. It's making me want to buy speakers now.

harley .guy07
10-13-2009, 09:10 AM
thats strange that Paradigm would have let company that ratty deal in their products in the first place. When I sold Paradigm years ago you had to have a dedicated home audio shop with a nice store front and a dedicated Paradigm area to show their products and they had to be hooked to at least a better receiver or seperates. Its funny how things change over the years because back in the mid 90's when I sold Paradigm they would not let a car audio dealer even try to deal in Paradigm unless they had a seperate room for home audio and had a dedication to it. And Poppa is right these prices seem a little high especially for the floor models, and who knows what kind of crap those floore models have went through before you seen them. With the kind of guys you explained being in that shop they could of hooked them to cheap car audio amps for a drinkin party at the shop after hours and abused the hell out of them. You can find much better deals on Paradigm on Ebay and other online places. I would look at other speakers in Paradigms price bracket because there are lots of good speakers out there and Paradigm is not the only fighter on the block for budget higher end speakers. Remember take your time and you will be happy for longer

LeRoy
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
The Avant 906i Floorstander and the Avant 904i Floorstander are great buys. Check out the awards/reviews of these models on the M.S website,
http://www.mordauntshort.com/default.php

Have fun shopping.

Poppachubby,
That kung fu challenge and caption pic is funny stuff......

LeRoy

zedicus
11-03-2009, 06:51 PM
First of all, thank you all so much for your help.

To start, a funny thing happened. Even though I cancelled my order on the BIC's (my credit card was never charged) they still shipped from the 3rd party and arrived at my house. I did end up calling the company I used, but the claimed they would have caught it anyways.... Before I shipped them back (that was fun) I decided to carefully unpack one of them and do a quick listen.

I had the BIC on the right channel, and an old Pioneer I picked up from a yard sell for free on the left... I used my computer to mute the volume on either channel so I could compare, and let me say - I am SO glad you guys recommended cancelling. The BIC was ok, probably compared equally to the pioneer, but nothing more. It wasn't very clear, even though it had a decent bass response... it just seemed to have to much static. I didn't do a thorough test, so I can't comment any more than my quick 5 minute play, but I definitely wouldn't have been happy.

Now, I have been listening to as many speakers as I can to the extent that they all seem to blend together. Well, within my price range - I found an audio shop a 30 minute drive away, but WAY out of my price range... I didn't stay long, so I cant comment on model/brand, I wasn't really interested in liking anything after seeing some stickers.

I did end up buying some speakers though, I bought the Paradigm Monitor 7's. I was able to swaggle the price down to $450 for the new set out the door. With a combination of coupons, and the fact that they are dramatically cutting stock, as well as using my friend that works in the Appliance department to help me deal, I was able to kick the price.

So far I am very pleased, I have had them running 8+ hours a day listening to everything.

Several reviews on this site rated the V5's as overly bright and poor for rock, I disagree... initially this was true to an extent, but I just tunned down the treble and as they break in the get better (at least to my ears, whether I am imagining it or not - I can't do a blind test between now and before.) I am contemplating on bi-wiring them, but several sources say it doesn't make a difference, so I might when I get bored and decide to move them around.

I have not looked past the recommendations though, my parents decided that if I was willing to spend this much on a pair of speakers (they think $100 is almost too much). Then they will complete my home audio setup for Christmas :) I am going to use one of these recommendations to compliment my setup. I am really considering the Energy speakers, and of course - shortly after black Friday I will let you know!

Thanks again for your help, definitely one of the best audio communities.

poppachubby
11-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Right on!!

harley .guy07
11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Cool. You like the Monitor 7's. I have a 2nd generation version of the monitor 7 and I like them pretty well. I have modified them but they are a pretty good speakers for the money spent and I think you will be happy with them for a while. Untill you want to spend $1500 or more for a speaker you will not get a major upgrade over these speakers.