Anyone have any experience with a Velodyne SMS-1? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with a Velodyne SMS-1?

Jim Clark
10-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Just picked one up on Audiogon so I figured I'd see if anyone might have some practical insights to offer.

After the room, the sub is the weakest part of my system. I have neither the time nor the inclination right now to deal with a feedback destroyer so I'm hopeful that this automatic 8 band parametric eq. will get me by. Also, if it works OK I'll be able to upgrade subs down the road and I won't be worrying about buying a sub with a built in eq.

I don't have much leeway in repositioning the corner placed sub but I'll try to get it as flat as possible first with minor adjustments and then run the auto eq. and see what happens.

Unless of course there's a better plan. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
jc

Mr Peabody
10-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Many of the sub manufacturer websites recommend corner placement including SVS and REL, so your placement is alright. Your plan of attack sounds good to me. Sorry no experience with that piece of gear.

RoadRunner6
10-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I bought the SMS-1 from Outlaw Audio for the very same reason, I had only one location that was practical for sub placement. Unless they have changed it from my 3 year old model it is not automatic. There is in fact a fairly high learning curve. I'll list a link to a clarified operations instructions if I can find it later.

Normally the corner position gives more volume output but away from the corner usually gives the flattest and most defined response. The SMS-1 should be a plus for you. You could look at the Outlaw forum linked below for good posts.

If for any reason the SMS-1 doesn't work for you, I actually used a 31 band mono graphic pro sound type EQ before and it worked very well and was quite simple. They run about $125 online like at ZZounds.com. I owned the ART351 which SVS subs used to sell. The Berringer BFD boys will trash talk this unit but it did a great job. However, it all has to be set up manually with a sound level meter and a frequency response test CD.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/velodyne-sms1-digital-drive-sub-manager-12-2005-part-1.html

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/forum/f/39.html

Jim Clark
10-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I bought the SMS-1 from Outlaw Audio for the very same reason, I had only one location that was practical for sub placement. Unless they have changed it from my 3 year old model it is not automatic. There is in fact a fairly high learning curve. I'll list a link to a clarified operations instructions if I can find it later.

Normally the corner position gives more volume output but away from the corner usually gives the flattest and most defined response. The SMS-1 should be a plus for you. You could look at the Outlaw forum linked below for good posts.

If for any reason the SMS-1 doesn't work for you, I actually used a 31 band mono graphic pro sound type EQ before and it worked very well and was quite simple. They run about $125 online like at ZZounds.com. I owned the ART351 which SVS subs used to sell. The Berringer BFD boys will trash talk this unit but it did a great job. However, it all has to be set up manually with a sound level meter and a frequency response test CD.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/velodyne-sms1-digital-drive-sub-manager-12-2005-part-1.html

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/forum/f/39.html

Thanks for the link to the sms-1 forum, there ought to be useful tips there. And mine is in fact automatic with an option for manual bass correction as well. That's pretty much the only reason I bought the thing instead of going some other route : )

Thanks,
jc

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-11-2009, 11:36 AM
The problem I have with devices like the SMS-1 is that its corrective measure only effect one place in space, leaving the others untouched, and occasionally in worse shape. What would have improved this system (and likely required alot more horsepower) is the ability to do spatial averaging. This would have allowed the end user to take measurements from several different seats, and the system would number crunch an average that improves the frequency response over a wider area. For those of us with larger home theaters, this would ensure everyone sitting within a certain area got a good bass response.

audio amateur
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
The problem I have with devices like the SMS-1 is that its corrective measure only effect one place in space, leaving the others untouched, and occasionally in worse shape. What would have improved this system (and likely required alot more horsepower) is the ability to do spatial averaging. This would have allowed the end user to take measurements from several different seats, and the system would number crunch an average that improves the frequency response over a wider area. For those of us with larger home theaters, this would ensure everyone sitting within a certain area got a good bass response.
That's my problem with sub EQing.

RoadRunner6
10-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Jim Clark, I finally ran across the Outlaw audio's Guide to the SMS-1. Here is the link. I found this guide very helpful and somewhat more clear and intuitive to follow than the Velodyne owner's manual.

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/sms1guide.pdf