Stax SR-X MK3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stax SR-X MK3

poppachubby
10-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Hey Everyone, I would like to start by saying that I hope that everything that has transpired in the Healthcare forum, stays there. After all, we are here for audio, which even though we all don't agree, can respect each other none the less. Religion and politics huh? Anyhow...

I have come to the conclusion that headphone nirvana, the holy grail for me, will be a good pair of late production Sextett Cardan. For anyone not in the know, these were made by AKG as part of the K240 line in 1975. I have not come across a pair that's reasonably priced, so until then , I wait.

http://www.stax.co.jp/OLD/Photo/Srxmk3.jpg

I keep seeing these Stax listed all over the place. I will reveal my youthful ignorance and say that it was here that I first saw a pair of Stax electrostat. Thanks E-Stat! I am just wondering how this model "stax" up against the higher end stuff that Stax has put out. Clearly they appear as a more standard looking set. Is there any of the Stax signature in this set of cans?

02audionoob
10-10-2009, 11:29 AM
How much do these holy grails of headphones usually sell for?

poppachubby
10-10-2009, 12:53 PM
How much do these holy grails of headphones usually sell for?

Well noob, that's a great question. Lately, far too much in my opinion. There were three phases of production. Early, middle and late thus adding to the make and model an EP, MP or LP.

There's alot of debate as to which are "better" and therefore more valuable. There has been a pair for sale on Ebay for quite some time, LP, buy it now for approx. $250 plus shipping which is crazy. However, this seller has a mint pair with orighinal box, etc. I've come close to biting a couple of times.

I think the highest sale price on Ebay exceeded 300 and wound up around 350!! This made quite a stir on all the headphone forums. There was a time when 150 would fetch a pair but for some reason, they are extremely desirable right now. It could have something to do with the fact that K240S has been "discontinued", more specifically, redesigned.

For me, the comfort and sound of the K240 is perfect. 100% natural, detailed stage. Zero fatigue. As far as the Sextett goes, late production (LP) are the best. It's tough because there's so many guys looking for these things, yet hardly any pairs out there.

Anyhow, any Stax info for me noob? I was hoping E-Stat was going to weigh in, he's the resident expert I would say. I PM'd him to respond.

E-Stat
10-12-2009, 07:08 AM
I am just wondering how this model "stax" up against the higher end stuff that Stax has put out. Clearly they appear as a more standard looking set. Is there any of the Stax signature in this set of cans?
Gee, its been a long time since I had my Stax cans. They key to their beauty is the transparency of the electrostatic drivers. If you enjoy acoustic music, they really are unmatched. Say hearing the crisp transients of Michael Hedges on a twelve string!

Aerial Boundaries (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXBABH2JuY)

rw

poppachubby
10-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Gee, its been a long time since I had my Stax cans. They key to their beauty is the transparency of the electrostatic drivers. If you enjoy acoustic music, they really are unmatched. Say hearing the crisp transients of Michael Hedges on a twelve string!

Aerial Boundaries (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXBABH2JuY)

rw

My dad was a Leona Boyd fan so i have many great LP's of acoustic stuff, I know exactly what you mean, it takes a good configuration to output the full potential of classical guitar. Quite frankly, I don't have it but my system does pretty good.

This particular model is not like the typical Lambda sets. I was particularily curious as to how much of the electrostatic experience I might get with them.

JoeE SP9
11-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey, PC. Let me start by saying I don't like headphones. The feeling of music coming from inside my head always creeps me out. However I have owned a couple of pairs of Stax "earspeakers" in the past. The lower priced ones (IE: the electret models) are electrostatics with a self polarizing diaphragm. This has two main results. The first is they are not as clean, clear and open as the full electrostatic models. The second is they are lots cheaper since they don't require a dedicated amplifier.
As for the sound, even the cheaper models are still electrostatic. That says it all. While some conventional dynamic cans may have subjectively more bass and be able to play louder they will never have the smooth, clean, clear, resonant free electrostatic sound.
They are the only phones I could live with. The last pair I owned were the SR-40/SRD-7 electoret model. I gave them to a friend who needed some phones for late night listening. He told me I can't ever have them back. If you haven't heard Stax "earspeaker" sound do yourself a favor and audition a pair somewhere. They are definitely worth the effort required to find somewhere to audition them. If you like the sound they may convert you to ESL's

poppachubby
11-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Funny, almost a full month later to get an answer. THANK YOU!! That was exactly what I was hoping for. Since I am unwilling to join 5 or 6 different forums, I have to wait or get no info at all.

That sounds great Joe. Your info gives me the go ahead to seek out a pair. I won't bother to audition, I will buy a pair and if they aren't for me, re-sell. Honestly, with something so fundamentally unique, an audition in a store will not do, even if for a few hours.

I'm not sure why, but I am getting a speaker bug. I think I am going to look for some Genesis speakers. I will look for these too.