Resume writing time! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Resume writing time!

JohnMichael
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes it is time to update the old resume. I find myself unemployed and will eventually need to find a source of income. My dream job is to be ForeverAutumn's assistant.

A question I have is, has anyone had good experience with professional resume writers. What I have been focusing on has been my work experience which I feel is stronger than my years in college but no degree. I am struggling between puffing up my resume only to prove it inflated later. On the other hand I did remove phrases like subservient and does not expect to be treated well.

Prior to my last two jobs as a care provider I worked in Hospital management for four years and patient care at the same hospital. In all my last 21 years have been in healthcare. I think I am ready for a break but I am worried in this economy it would be easier to stay in the field.

As I prepare my resume I am also trying to find what else is out there after focusing on one area for so long. I hope I find a good employer who values dependancy and a sense of responsibility that borders on masochism.

Thanks for any suggestions.

GMichael
10-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry to read about your bad new JM. Should I assume that this means the older gent you were caring for has past on? Even more bad news if so. Very sorry on both counts.
I have found that there are many companies on the internet who will help you find a job at no cost to you. I did pay a ridiculous amount to one company who did no more than the free ones out there. Most of them collect a percentage from the company who hires you. Some of them will meet with you, find out what you are interested in and help you along. They'll even give you examples of questions to expect and how to answer them.
Good luck with your quest buddy. Keep us updated.

3LB
10-08-2009, 01:45 PM
You mean people who write resumes for a living or a headhunter service?

There are some great templates out there for you to use if you want to save some money. Sometimes its a good idea to tout all your experience/s in one block style format first, then awards (if any) pertaining to your career, then your education. But just as important as a resume, make sure you have a strong cover letter.

I forget the the actual name, but the format I referred to can be found w/ google I believe.

blackraven
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
JM, what healthcare experience do you have?

blackraven
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
JM, here's something to cheer you up-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/extramustard/hotclicks/10/06/kate-beckinsale-vikings-cheerleader-breaks-down-favre-vs-packers/index.html

http://www.esquire.com/women/women-we-love/kate-beckinsale-pictures-1109#img

JohnMichael
10-08-2009, 03:39 PM
JM, here's something to cheer you up-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/extramustard/hotclicks/10/06/kate-beckinsale-vikings-cheerleader-breaks-down-favre-vs-packers/index.html

http://www.esquire.com/women/women-we-love/kate-beckinsale-pictures-1109#img

Blackraven, dude, I am so sorry you did not get the memo. I am so gay. The only thing that picture could do for me is make me wonder how popular I would be if I had her body and looks.

blackraven
10-08-2009, 03:44 PM
whoop's! my mistake.

JohnMichael
10-08-2009, 03:48 PM
whoop's! my mistake.

Hey, I appreciate the effort.

blackraven
10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
You wouldn't have trouble getting a job with that body and looks!

ForeverAutumn
10-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Blackraven, dude, I am so sorry you did not get the memo. I am so gay. The only thing that picture could do for me is make me wonder how popular I would be if I had her body and looks.

Oh my god, John. You're making me cry here. lmao!

I'm sorry to hear that you are now unemployed. I would hire you in a second to be my assistant. Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay you. But if you'd like to work for the sheer joy of making me happy, we can talk. :smilewinkgrin:

3LB
10-09-2009, 06:01 AM
make me wonder how popular I would be if I had her body and looksif I had her body I'd never leave the house

GMichael
10-09-2009, 06:06 AM

I must have left him off of my "all users" email.
JM, Someone as nice is you is not allowed to be THAT hot. You would end up ruling the world. No one should have that much power.

3LB
10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I am so gay.you mean like happy gay?

what's this do for you?
http://blog.silive.com/latest_news/2007/11/firefighter.jpg

dean_martin
10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
No typos, no spelling, punctuation, etc. errors! You wouldn't believe the number of resumes we get with errors.

Use a picture of yourself all dressed up (coat and tie or at least dress shirt and tie) on your resume. This may be common place now, but back in the 80s when I was looking for work my dad suggested I copy a photo onto the upper right hand side of my resume. I was offered 4 jobs with that resume. The hiring manager at each job said it was the photo on the resume that distinguished mine from the rest. It was nothing fancy - just black and white photocopies. It had nothing to do with looks. It showed that I knew how to dress professionally.

ForeverAutumn
10-09-2009, 09:30 AM
No typos, no spelling, punctuation, etc. errors! You wouldn't believe the number of resumes we get with errors.

Use a picture of yourself all dressed up (coat and tie or at least dress shirt and tie) on your resume. This may be common place now, but back in the 80s when I was looking for work my dad suggested I copy a photo onto the upper right hand side of my resume. I was offered 4 jobs with that resume. The hiring manager at each job said it was the photo on the resume that distinguished mine from the rest. It was nothing fancy - just black and white photocopies. It had nothing to do with looks. It showed that I knew how to dress professionally.

A picture? Really? I've never heard that one.

My husband is an HR Manager, as is one of my best friends. They will occasionally show me a resume that is so bad that we laugh at it.

Spelling and grammer mistakes are a big problem. Computers have spell check so there is no excuse for a spelling error...it just shows how little you care about details. And no religious or political affiliations unless it is directly related to the job. Also, keep it as short and succinct as possible with the most relevant information on page one. Hubby says that he rarely gets to page two unless page one is compatible for the job. And he never looks at page three. He gets hundreds of resumes for every job posted. He doesn't have the time to read them all. In fact, even cover letters are hit and miss. Sometime's he'll read them and sometime's he'll just skip right to the work experience.

3LB
10-09-2009, 09:55 AM

My husband is an HR Manager, as is one of my best friends. They will occasionally show me a resume that is so bad that we laugh at it.

as nitpicky as this sounds, its true. My wife is an HR Director (21 years in the biz) and she says there are just way too many people applying for high paying positions, especially positions that require a high degree of reliability and accountability, to over-look a mistake that's as easily correctable such as grammar and spelling. She says its an attention to detail issue that speaks volumes about a person's competence and diligence.

dean_martin
10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
A picture? Really? I've never heard that one.

Yep. It doesn't take up that much space if you list vital statistics on the left, you have blank space on the right that you can fill with a picture. I think I used a wallet-sized photo from my senior portraits (at that age, those were the nicest pics I had - none of the cheesy ones though - coat and tie and copy machine). I would think that a subtle black and white photo similar to a driver license picture wouldn't be too tacky, would it?

ForeverAutumn
10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Yep. It doesn't take up that much space if you list vital statistics on the left, you have blank space on the right that you can fill with a picture. I think I used a wallet-sized photo from my senior portraits (at that age, those were the nicest pics I had - none of the cheesy ones though - coat and tie and copy machine). I would think that a subtle black and white photo similar to a driver license picture wouldn't be too tacky, would it?

I don't know. I can maybe see that if you're a kid fresh out of school or applying for a job in the public's eye perhaps. But for someone whose experience should speak for itself, I would be afraid that the person viewing the resume might discriminate by the photo. For example, they might not like the look in your eye. Or might decide that you look too old. Or may not like your skin colour. Or your tie. And might refuse you an interview on that basis.

JohnMichael
10-09-2009, 12:38 PM
you mean like happy gay?

what's this do for you?

I am happy now, thanks.

JohnMichael
10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
you mean like happy gay?

what's this do for you?

I may have to set something on fire just to be rescued.