Zombieland? Anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Zombieland? Anyone?

dean_martin
10-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I think I'm going to see this later in the week. My son (20 yo) will be home later this week on "Fall break" (my how they pamper college kids - I didn't get no stinking fall break). Maybe we can catch this. Looks like fun. Reminds me of the living dead flick that came out when I went off to college in the 80s - Return of the Living Dead.

ForeverAutumn
10-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Let me know how it is Dean. I'm curious as hell about this one, but it's unlikely that I'll have time to see it before it leaves the theatre. I'm still waiting to see the latest Harry Potter and Inglorius Basterds. I like a good Zombie movie and I like Woody Harrelson. He always plays such twisted characters. And it has an appearance by Bill Murray as 'himself', which I'm dying to see how that fits into a zombie movie. lol.

Shawn of the Dead was brilliant. I'm wondering how this one will compare as the commercials make it look like a bit of spoof. But I'm not sure whether that's what it's supposed to be.

3LB
10-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I for one am tired of how Hollywood exploits zombies. I know we're all supposed to love to hate zombies and going just by the trailers Zombieland does come across as a "Living Undead Revenge Fantasy".

If the whole, a large part, or a small part of a film offends me, I reserve the right not to see it, even if I only think it might offend me, though I wouldn't really know, since I haven't seen it, but reserve the right to be offended by its existence even though I have the right not to see it. See?

Does this movie mock the dehumanized zombie bashing cliché? Or does it merely exploit it? If the former, I'll reconsider this particular movie.

;)

if I can push this movie review into the cage, then mebbe we can discuss other movies where people eat each other.

:devil:

Troy
10-07-2009, 03:13 PM
3LB, your way amuses me.

I wanna see this too, but think I'll have to wait for cable.

Rich-n-Texas
10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I feel all Canadians are Zombies.

Irregardless,

I think I'll go see it. Looks like FUN!

atomicAdam
10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
just symbols for the living dead of socialized states. and of course our good red blooded americans will always prevail over the likes of bloodless commie bastards zombies.

zombie movies are thin vales for agitating american nationalism and white racism.

that is why sean of the dead was great - we were able to see a zombie movie with removal of american hatred, nationalism and racism.

.... cage worthy now?

RGA
10-07-2009, 06:25 PM
The original Dawn of the Dead - the Zombies win. Romero the commie lover.

Dawn was anti-consumerism - I always walk through shopping malls with a chuckle. "why are they here (coming to the mall)? Reply "this was a very important place in their lives." Watching the undead wander like sheep through the clothing departments and squeezing perfume bottles. Terrific. All the while human survivors are fighting over the bones. Romero's Night of the Living dead was a commentary on Vietnam, Land of the Dead a commentary on US war with the middle east and Day of the Dead (err can't remember - but it was probably about yuppie greed nation of the 1980s).

Forget all that - the ripping out the intestines bit - now that's disgusting :3:

atomicAdam
10-07-2009, 07:08 PM
The original Dawn of the Dead - the Zombies win. Romero the commie lover.

Dawn was anti-consumerism - :

This is one of my all time fave movies. mainly because for me, it is a study good slow character study of human interaction when trapped in a small space with the outer environment being hostile. really a great move.

3LB
10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Romero's Night of the Living dead was a commentary on Vietnam is that where the Ho Chi Minh Entrail is....yeah, I know

All seriousnessless aside, this is the first zombie/horror flick that has actually piqued my interest in a long time...but then again, I liked Thriller too. I might have to take my teenaged boy along to see it.:3:

ForeverAutumn
10-08-2009, 05:45 AM
seriouslessness

My new favourite word! :yesnod:

Rich-n-Texas
10-08-2009, 06:38 AM
I've been replaced. :(

3LB
10-08-2009, 06:41 AM
My new favourite word! :yesnod:
pssst...i think I misspelled it...seriousnessless - an old steve allen word

Worf101
10-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I for one am tired of how Hollywood exploits zombies. I know we're all supposed to love to hate zombies and going just by the trailers Zombieland does come across as a "Living Undead Revenge Fantasy".

If the whole, a large part, or a small part of a film offends me, I reserve the right not to see it, even if I only think it might offend me, though I wouldn't really know, since I haven't seen it, but reserve the right to be offended by its existence even though I have the right not to see it. See?

Does this movie mock the dehumanized zombie bashing cliché? Or does it merely exploit it? If the former, I'll reconsider this particular movie.

;)

if I can push this movie review into the cage, then mebbe we can discuss other movies where people eat each other.

"Three Pound!!!!1 You Magnificent Bastard!!!! I Read your Book!!!!1"
Man that was just too spot-on effin' funny!!!!! I was dyin'. Holleee chite man you smacked that one into next year!!!! Bravo!!!!

Da Worfster

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I walked out of Zombies in the middle of it. (spit spit) It was just stupid kid trash to me. It was a nice try though, but it did not carry my interest.

10-08-2009, 12:21 PM
just symbols for the living dead of socialized states. and of course our good red blooded americans will always prevail over the likes of bloodless commie bastards zombies.

zombie movies are thin vales for agitating american nationalism and white racism.

that is why sean of the dead was great - we were able to see a zombie movie with removal of american hatred, nationalism and racism.

.... cage worthy now?

Adam, if you live in Oakland, I bet I can throw a rock and hit your house!

atomicAdam
10-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Adam, if you live in Oakland, I bet I can throw a rock and hit your house!

You mean my small apartment on the bottom floor of a large building on the side, in an alley. If you've got good aim you are welcome to try.

You going to the event at audiovision in SF tonight?

http://www.audiovisionsf.com/

dean_martin
10-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I was able slip out for the afternoon and took my son to see Zombieland. It's the Citizen Kane of this decade (and just in time, too). Unfortunately, some won't grasp its brilliance (Sir T) until years later.

Not really, but it was fun. I had no inclination to walk out. For all you pc folks (that means you, 3#), it certainly dehumanizes zombies relegating them to props. But I didn't care because I have no conscience.

Anyhow, it was worth the matinee ticket price (2X - can't get the kid to pick up his own tab), the soundtrack is good, Woody is good and of course Bill Murray's cameo is hilarious if too shockingly short. If you go see it and can sit all the way through it make sure you stay until the ending credits are over or you will miss the last little bit.

Afterwards, we went to guitar center. Excellent afternoon!

3LB
10-09-2009, 07:11 AM
(that means you, 3#),

see, I knew if I went with the 3LB moniker folks would call me 3pounds :nonod:

Looks like fun...a good Halloween season movie and a good respite from the usual torture fest. Of course that kiddy vampire movie is coming out and my daughter will beg us to take her to that, but I'll prolly voluntarily go to see Zombieland.

dean_martin
10-09-2009, 07:31 AM
see, I knew if I went with the 3LB moniker folks would call me 3pounds :nonod:

Looks like fun...a good Halloween season movie and a good respite from the usual torture fest. Of course that kiddy vampire movie is coming out and my daughter will beg us to take her to that, but I'll prolly voluntarily go to see Zombieland.

You can thank Markw (or maybe it was Sir T - I saw it first somewhere in that black hole of a thread on universal health care) and of course Worf for the "3 pound", but I pressed the # key myself.

3LB
10-09-2009, 07:39 AM
You can thank Markw (or maybe it was Sir Tantrum - I saw it first somewhere in that black hole of a thread on universal health care) and of course Worf for the "3 pound", but I pressed the # key myself.

oh no big deal - I waddint sayin, I's jes sayin

3pounds could mean all kinds of things

bobsticks
10-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm soo geeked about the incontrivertable stupidity of this film...I'm all about zombies...

dean_martin
10-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm soo geeked about the incontrivertable stupidity of this film...I'm all about zombies...

"Geeked" is right. Take a pen and paper to write down the rules. We may need'em before the dvd release. (Of course, if you own it on dvd, you can watch it over and over again until you have the rules memorized, but only the first four are given in order.)

Just so you know, my enthusiasm for this flick probably has a lot to do with the following: 1) I saw it with my son,
2) It was my first time in a theater THIS YEAR,
3) I left work early to see it (and I still have my job).

3LB
10-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm soo geeked about the incontrivertable stupidity of this film...I'm all about zombies...theres something to be said for purity of intent, just like the Three Stooges or Beavis and Butthead or Deathwish 3 & 4.

10-09-2009, 03:15 PM
You can thank Markw (or maybe it was Sir Tantrum - I saw it first somewhere in that black hole of a thread on universal health care) and of course Worf for the "3 pound", but I pressed the # key myself.

Dean,
Sir Tantrum is NOT my name. No more than DICK Martin is yours...... Uncool dude.

Feanor
10-09-2009, 03:44 PM

;)

I feel ya, 3LB. :3:

dean_martin
10-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Dean,
Sir Tantrum is NOT my name. No more than DICK Martin is yours...... Uncool dude.

I was framed! I'm innocent I tell ya. Innocent! Go back and read my original post in which I referred to you as Sir T. Then compare my post with the later post that "quoted" me.

You've got the wrong man!

Btw, you can call me Dick if you like.

dean_martin
10-09-2009, 06:38 PM
You can thank Markw (or maybe it was Sir T - I saw it first somewhere in that black hole of a thread on universal health care) and of course Worf for the "3 pound", but I pressed the # key myself.

Your PM box is full, Sir T. In my fight to prove my innocence, I've accurately quoted myself.

3LB
10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
:lol:
I was framed! I'm innocent I tell ya.:lol:

Smokey
10-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Dawn of the Dead was anti-consumerism - I always walk through shopping malls with a chuckle. "why are they here (coming to the mall)? Reply "this was a very important place in their lives." Watching the undead wander like sheep through the clothing departments and squeezing perfume bottles.

May be zombies trying to make themselves smell good :D

I really never undrestood the hidden anti-consumerism message of this movie. The movie location happend to be in a mall because it can be sealed off from outside and I see it as the only reason it was shot there.

I am supposing if move was shot in a school or library, some hidden anti-education massege can be found there :)

10-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I was framed! I'm innocent I tell ya. Innocent! Go back and read my original post in which I referred to you as Sir T. Then compare my post with the later post that "quoted" me.

You've got the wrong man!

Btw, you can call me Dick if you like.

Dean, I am ashamed:blush2: I should have blamed 3LB of $hit instead. Should have known that pile of bitterness would have done this. If you can't debate, you call names. A sign of weakness....or stupidity. Take a pick, and pin it on him. :biggrin5:

atomicAdam
10-09-2009, 08:44 PM
seriously here boys, don't make me put a thread about a zombie movie in the cage

3LB
10-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I should have blamed 3LB of $hit instead. Should have known that pile of bitterness would have done this. If you can't debate, you call names. A sign of weakness....or stupidity. Take a pick, and pin it on him

geez dude...why you gotta go and get all personal...I was just trying to have fun at your expense

:D

10-10-2009, 02:21 PM
geez dude...why you gotta go and get all personal...I was just trying to have fun at your expense

:D

Get your jollies off at your own expense thanks......shouldn't be that difficult.

Troy
10-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Lighten up, Francis.

3LB
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Lighten up, Francis.aw man, I was just gonna use that one...:(

:thumbsup:

RGA
10-12-2009, 05:33 PM
May be zombies trying to make themselves smell good :D

I really never undrestood the hidden anti-consumerism message of this movie. The movie location happend to be in a mall because it can be sealed off from outside and I see it as the only reason it was shot there.

I am supposing if move was shot in a school or library, some hidden anti-education massege can be found there :)

I want to make it clear that I am talking about the original 1979 version not the new version.

But here is a good review which may illustrate some of the points Romero had in mind. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19790504/REVIEWS/905040301/1023

And if you really want to have an academic read - have a coffee first there is this very insightful in depth piece on Dawn of the Dead. http://www.americanpopularculture.com/journal/articles/fall_2002/harper.htm

bobsticks
10-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I feel all Canadians are Zombies.

Irregardless,

I think I'll go see it. Looks like FUN!

'effin post of the year...