The Great Silver Debate [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Great Silver Debate

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Well it's not a debate really, but what a catchy title!?! There are tons of homemade silver polishes and cleaners available online, but most seem geared towards silverware and the like.

I'm wondering what anybody does here to buff up their brushed aluminum/silver gear. Certain products? Homebrew?

Right now I'm just using Silvo, gets nice results for me.

Happy Camper
10-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I have black gear that just gets a damp cloth wipe. No chemicals, makes the sound too bright.

nightflier
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Microfiber dust cloth (& no chemicals):

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=15567

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Ya, I guess I should have been more specific. I certainly don't clean regularily with any polish. However, if I acquire a used piece, I will give it one good polishing. From this point it will get wiped with a damp cloth, no chemical.

harley .guy07
10-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Most of your polishes out there for metal are for polished aluminum or chrome and not for the bruched or natural finish of the front panels of most of the vintage gear out there. I would be afraid of doing more harm than good using a polish.

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Most of your polishes out there for metal are for polished aluminum or chrome and not for the bruched or natural finish of the front panels of most of the vintage gear out there. I would be afraid of doing more harm than good using a polish.

Define "harm"...

harley .guy07
10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Well since these polished are actually for poliched metals or chrome most likely with satin finish or brushed(natural) finish the most they will probably due is leave a film on the metal and not do much to improve it. Worst case you end up taking off some of the brucked finish off of the metal and it will end up looking different in spots than the rest of the component. Just my opinion from what my experiences have been