Battery-powered Phono Preamps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Battery-powered Phono Preamps

nightflier
10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I've seen a number of battery-powered phono preamps for sale like this Sutherland Ph3D:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130334125963&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

At the risk of asking an obvious question, is the power isolation audible? Also, are there other advantages? Are there disadvantages like the batteries not being adequate, etc.? Can rechargeable batteries be used?

In my case, I already use power conditioning with my regularly-powered phono preamp, so I am wondering if there is any benefit in switching to a battery powered one. Anyone out there have one of these?

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 10:29 AM
My local shop sells Nova Phonomena. I laughed when I first saw this cordless unit but to answer your question, yes, it's audible.

It obviously depends on the quality of your existing amp, and on your overall experience with pre-amps in general. At the time I had a low level AT model. The guys let me bring it home to audition it. I had it for 3 days and it absolutely slaughtered the AT. Now of course, many corded models could do this as well. However, I would have to say that the Nova's biggest selling point, supreme noise reduction, is audible to the point of disbelief. I'm not sure of the words to describe it, but I could say it was like being in a room with absolutely no echo or reverb. Because of this I found every subtle sound on the vinyl could be heard. I distinctly recall playing some Curtis Mayfield, a live album, and the bongo tracks were amazing.

The batteries in the Nova are rechargable, much like a cell phone. It had a special detection to tell you about the status of their charge. You have to plug it in to recharge. So, it's cool because no cord means it's easy to display/move around and alot less jumble at the back of your gear. However, to recharge you must consider a cord.

At the end of the day, it was way out of my price range, but there are battery powered units that go for cheap. Hope that's a bit of help...

nightflier
10-06-2009, 11:03 AM
I own the Phonomena (corded version) and it too is extremely quiet. Actually, I've put it up against many preamps in the sub-$1K, and it still is the best preamp by far. Now I still have a few I want to give a listen to such as the Jolida JD9a and the Clearaudio Basic Plus (everything I've heard from Clearaudio has been superior), but I've also spent all my money for this year.

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey man give the new Pro-Ject Tube Box a whirl....super accurate with great stage and depth. I'm sure it would lose in the noise category however remarkably quiet for tube.

02audionoob
10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I've always been puzzled by how much gain the Jolida has. I read on another forum where a guy keeps his volume knob at the 7:30 position while listening his JD9A. Of course, conventional wisdon would tell you it would be quieter than the tube models with less gain.

Peter_Klim
10-22-2009, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=poppachubby]My local shop sells Nova Phonomena. I laughed when I first saw this cordless unit but ... it's cool because no cord means it's easy to display/move around and alot less jumble at the back of your gear. However, to recharge you must consider a cord.
QUOTE]

Unfortunately...you cannot move the Nova around because even if you do have the battery fully charged, the power cord MUST remain plugged in otherwise the unit will turn off.

poppachubby
10-23-2009, 01:54 AM
[QUOTE=poppachubby]My local shop sells Nova Phonomena. I laughed when I first saw this cordless unit but ... it's cool because no cord means it's easy to display/move around and alot less jumble at the back of your gear. However, to recharge you must consider a cord.
QUOTE]

Unfortunately...you cannot move the Nova around because even if you do have the battery fully charged, the power cord MUST remain plugged in otherwise the unit will turn off.

Hmmmm...strange, I don't recall this detail at all. I suppose I am incorrect and thinking of something else. I only had it for a few days, some time ago.

Peter_Klim
10-23-2009, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=Peter_Klim]

Hmmmm...strange, I don't recall this detail at all. I suppose I am incorrect and thinking of something else. I only had it for a few days, some time ago.

Yeah, I thought that maybe if you leave the power cord plugged in the unit, but unplug it from the wall it would still work - nope!

Makes me wonder if it really is disconnecting itself internally from the AC...

poppachubby
10-24-2009, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=poppachubby]

Yeah, I thought that maybe if you leave the power cord plugged in the unit, but unplug it from the wall it would still work - nope!

Makes me wonder if it really is disconnecting itself internally from the AC...

Well I defnitely recall its quiet stage. I would say it has a "shut off" feature, once charged, that cuts off the signal from the adaptor.

Peter_Klim
10-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I just read the manual again and it states there's a "replay" that switches it the battery mode.

When i first hooked it up, I thought it was dead quiet. Then recently I turned it up with no record spinning and I'm getting a good deal of hiss and just a tad bit of hum. This happens with the volume knob at the 12 o'clock posistion. It's only a 35 watt/ch tube amp and this doesn't happen with any other source. I even shortened the ground wire to about 2 1/2 feet and that made no difference. Even taking off the ground wire made no difference! I'll have to make a call to my dealer....

poppachubby
10-24-2009, 09:13 AM
I just read the manual again and it states there's a "replay" that switches it the battery mode.

When i first hooked it up, I thought it was dead quiet. Then recently I turned it up with no record spinning and I'm getting a good deal of hiss and just a tad bit of hum. This happens with the volume knob at the 12 o'clock posistion. It's only a 35 watt/ch tube amp and this doesn't happen with any other source. I even shortened the ground wire to about 2 1/2 feet and that made no difference. Even taking off the ground wire made no difference! I'll have to make a call to my dealer....

Yikes! For the price of the Nova, it shouldn't be giving you anything but pure audio pleasure.

JohnMichael
11-19-2009, 05:31 AM
While shopping for a new phono pre-amp I saw this one and found it interesting.

http://www.audiophileproducts.com/korora

poppachubby
11-19-2009, 05:43 AM
While shopping for a new phono pre-amp I saw this one and found it interesting.

http://www.audiophileproducts.com/korora

Ya John, I've owned two of their dacs. They make nice stuff. I think for the price, I'd just as soon buy a Jolida at the same price point. I think it's the JD-9? Anyhow, you thinking of pulling the trigger on this one?

JohnMichael
11-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Ya John, I've owned two of their dacs. They make nice stuff. I think for the price, I'd just as soon buy a Jolida at the same price point. I think it's the JD-9? Anyhow, you thinking of pulling the trigger on this one?

Not really since I have the CA 640P which is a great budget phono pre-amp. When I purchase somthing new it will be out of the budget class. A quality phono stage that I will be able to enjoy for years and will handle upgrades. I also own the Rotel RQ 970BX which has been going strong for about 14 years but the CA 640P is a better unit. My only advice to anyone using the CA 640P is to avoid using the subsonic filter. The addition of that filter in the signal path causes problems in the high frequencies and with the units transparency. Of course turn off your cd player.

poppachubby
11-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Well, I know that your Krell features self-ignition and combustion, no phono stage? Surprised you wouldn't buy a phono-centric amp.