It's Tunesday day today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's Tunesday day today

3-LockBox
10-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Been reaching back into the beginning of the year for some tuneage, as well as the recent purchases (PT, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Modest Mouse) including recent acquisistions, Califone: All My Friends Are Funeral Singers and The Black Heart Procession: Six (danke Slosh) Does that new Califone remind anyone of Iron & Wine?

Dredg - The Parrot The Pariah The Delusion
http://www.alltunes.com/covers/d/dredg/the_parriah__the_parrot__the_delusion/cover.jpg

Doves - Kingdom Of Rust
http://www.alltunes.com/covers/d/doves/kingdom_of_rust/cover.jpg

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
http://www.alltunes.com/covers/g/grizzly_bear/veckatimest/cover.jpg

Super 700 - Lovebites
http://www.alltunes.com/covers/s2/super700/lovebites/cover.jpg

Satellite - Nostalgia
http://www.alltunes.com/covers/s1/satellite/nostalgia/cover.jpg

Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
http://www.alltunes.com/covers/b/bat_for_lashes/two_suns_(2009)/cover.jpg

Davey
10-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Does that new Califone remind anyone of Iron & Wine?

Brian Deck is such a big part of both bands, probably inevitable. I&W has moved toward a fuller sound with a little more exploration and experimentation, while Califone has been getting more song oriented and less freeform. They have toured together as well.

Speaking of Brian Deck, was listening to the Modest Mouse Moon & Antarctica a bunch this week. Still quite a record. He helped give them a little bit of magic on that record they didn't have before, and haven't had since. I'm not really sure Brock realizes what was special about it to a lot of people.

Also got stuck listening a lot to Blush Music by Woven Hand. Sounds really good at night cranked up really loud in the car, especially on Aeolian Harp, opening with wooden ship creaks and whispers, the mouthed foghorn, that eerie organ, and the sparse, chilling lyrics from deep in his gut ... drivin' like there ain't no god at all

3LB
10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Brian Deck is such a big part of both bands, probably inevitable. I&W has moved toward a fuller sound with a little more exploration and experimentation, while Califone has been getting more song oriented and less freeform. They have toured together as well.

"I...did not know that"

I be really liking this new Califone, and it must be for the reason you specified, cuz I haven't cared much for earlier stuff. By the same token I've really enjoyed the last Iron & Wine release for that very reason you stated.

Yeah, if not for the vox, I'd be hard pressed to place the Modest Mouse of 8 or 9 years ago with the MM of today. I do like the latter-day MM, but do appreciate more their stripped down, less glossy version of themselves with No One's First, And You're Next, which harks back to the beginning of this decade.

Davey
10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I be really liking this new Califone, and it must be for the reason you specified...

Yea, they've always had that side, but now Tim Rutili and the guys just seem more willing (or able) to present it without so much of the fragmentated lyrics and skronky sounds. Love it all, but they seem to have really found a comfort zone on this one, fully embracing all they have done before in their many different guises, but also not forgetting to make it enjoyable. Very nice record.

Gomez also has a new one out that Brian Deck produced and it's supposed to be pretty nice too. Even borrows a song title from one of those skronky old Red Red Meat records I love so much as well in "Airstream Driver". Anyone heard it yet? FA's thread about Josh Ritter also brings in Animal Years, which is another that Deck had a big hand in, and is very likely better because of it. Wish it had been mastered in a more restrained style befitting the music, but modern times and monkey wrenches. This new Califone sounds very good.

3LB
10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Gomez also has a new one out that Brian Deck produced and it's supposed to be pretty nice too. Even borrows a song title from one of those skronky old Red Red Meat records I love so much as well in "Airstream Driver". Anyone heard it yet?

Funny you mention this. I just posted about this on FA's Ritter/Browne thread! I own it, if yer referring to A New Tide. Haven't spun it in a month or two. It reminded me a tad of Old '97s meets Shearwater. Same guy involved in Califone and Iron & Wine eh? I'm remiss for not reading credits like I used to. I've heard Gomez's older album, How We Operate, and there is definitely a different aeshtetic on the new one. I found Gomez by way of Guster, btw.

Davey
10-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Funny you mention this. I just posted about this on FA's Ritter/Browne thread! I own it, if yer referring to A New Tide. Haven't spun it in a month or two. It reminded me a tad of Old '97s meets Shearwater. Same guy involved in Califone and Iron & Wine eh? I'm remiss for not reading credits like I used to.

Yea, same Brian Deck. I like Gomez, but their records have frustrated me in the past in that they will do something really interesting on one song, then turn around on the next song and crank out some adult contemporary radio fluff. Quality fluff, sure, but still just fluff. Wish they had a more inventive view of music that could maintain my interest for a whole record. This new one seems to have gotten a lot of both good and bad press, I guess mostly because of the trend toward blandness at times.

3LB
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Quality fluff, sure, but still just fluff.The reason I mention finding them by way of Guster. Guster woulda been gangbusters in the '70s, so would Gomez. I could see a fan of Ritter or even Jack Johnson eating up the last couple of Gomez albums. I'm actually listening to Gomez as I type (this thread made me whip it out...the CD). Good sounding rekkid. Its does have some rather catchy stuff on it...in less formatted times, two sure fire radio hits (Little Pieces, Natural Reaction, mebbe even Airstream Driver). It has a familiar aesthetic, but if yer familiar with the bands I've mentioned up to this point (Guster, Vetiver, et el) then you know it ain't gonna scratch no indie-rock itch, nor will it satisfy anyone looking for the dark brooding mellencollie of a Shearwater or Bon Iver album.

NP: Lost Track - this one and Win Park Slope definitely of the I&W persuation