Hello [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello

hasmithjr
10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi, my name is Howard and I'm a big audio/video enthusiast. I like being on the cutting edge of technology. So, I'm open to all suggestion on improving my AV system.

02audionoob
10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Greetings, Howard. Glad to have you here. From the looks of your system, it appears you have a 7.1-channel receiver. Do you have a 7.1 speaker setup?

harley .guy07
10-05-2009, 10:54 PM
How do you like you cerwin-Vega's. I used to sell them at the shop I used to work at. We have a very strong rock listening crowd in my town and we sold alot of them to the rock out listeners that wanted bassy and loud. They were never my cup of tea but some people really stick by them. My question to you would be what are you looking for in a system and what are you not satisfied with what you presently have. Onkyo receivers are a good for the money unit that has alot of features and a good backing. Just let us know what your concerns are and I'm sure there is someone on here that can be of assistance. that what these forums are all about, to cuss and discuss everything audio.

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Nice to meet you sir. Harley went easy on you. You will get verbally mashed around here for owning those Cerwin Vega's. Just prepare yourself is all I'm saying. I love JBL which tows the line. Personally I think if it sounds good to your ear, then how could it be bad? I agree with the other guys, some more info is needed. Hope you enjoy it here and stick around...

blackraven
10-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi Howard, are you using the BluRay player as a cd player? If you are, then a dedicated CD player would be a good place to start. Mr.P on this forum just reviewed the Emotiva ERC-1 CDP and gave it a glowing review and it is a real bargain at $399. Other's to consider are the Cambridge Audio 740c or 840c, Marantz SA8003 SACDP, Rega Apollo to name a few. The Cambrigde Units excel at detail, resolution and clarity. They lean on the brighter side of neutral. The Marantz is much warmer sounding and the Apollo is the most aggressive and musical.

If your unhappy with your speakers then that would be another place to upgrade. I would keep your receiver.

Whats your budget?

harley .guy07
10-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Good point Pappa, I forgot to warn him about the Vega smashing on this forum. I was just asking him what he felt the weaknesses of his setup was so maybe he could find better results through better products and possibly different speakers. I am not the kind of guy to smash what other people own I would rather kindly offer my opinion and let them make their own conclusion.

luvtolisten
10-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Howard, and Welcome! As far as suggestions go, (and that's all they are) on what you'd like to see changed, or improved is up to you and your budget.

JoeE SP9
10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Howard, and welcome. Don't let those guys talk about your CV's without a fight. As has already been said, your ears are what matters. That said, there are several here who will say they graduated from "frat house" (CV) speakers to something more refined. Most JBL's are in the same category to me ie: not very refined (take that poppachubby).

poppachubby
10-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Howard, and welcome. Don't let those guys talk about your CV's without a fight. As has already been said, your ears are what matters. That said, there are several here who will say they graduated from "frat house" (CV) speakers to something more refined. Most JBL's are in the same category to me ie: not very refined (take that poppachubby).

...I bet you JBL's are good enough to perfectly replicate with a completely accurate soundstage the sound of my tears rolling down my cheeks....see Howard? Don't worry we'll hug it out.