Guess Who Steven Wilson turned out to be? FA/Porky fans? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who Steven Wilson turned out to be? FA/Porky fans?

Mr Peabody
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I had to start a new thread for this. I believe on the Collage thread I also posted a link to another CD I bought, Steven Wilson, Incergentes. I believe there's a Jazz musician named Steve Wilson who may have caused some confusion, any way, Steven Wilson is the front man for Porcupine Tree and Incergentes, is his solo album. It comes with a CD and DVD although the DVD has no real video it's a high rez PCM stereo and DTS 5.1 mix. Haven't gotten all the way through but it's not PT, it's more slow and dark. I like it but you know I'm into that. Thought the PT fans may be interested since I haven't heard this album mentioned.

ForeverAutumn
10-06-2009, 05:37 AM
lmao! I thought you knew that. I just assumed that when you mentioned the Steve Wilson CD that you meant the PT frontman.

I generally don't like his non PT stuff. I find it too mellow and boring for my tastes. I didn't buy this CD. That's why I haven't mentioned it. I can't speak for the other PT fans though.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it. Especially since you thought that you were buying a jazz disk.

Oh, and Wilson is highly acclaimed for the quality of his 5.1 mixes which he produces himself.

Mr MidFi
10-06-2009, 06:06 AM
I have it, and my appreciation of it grew quite a bit once I listened to it in the 5.1 mix. Definitely added something to my listening experience.

Insurgentes has some very fine moments. But some of it is very... dark. And somber. And ponderous. I can't quite discern the underlying theme, but I believe it has to do with a sort of deconstructionist view of identity. The "abandoner" is the "significant other" is the "only child" and so on... they all converge internally into one personality.

That's sort of a mirror-image theme compared to The Incident, which offers multiple points of view from different people of a single external incident.

3LB
10-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Steve Wilson = front man for PT - check
Steve Wilson = collaborator on Bass Communion, No-man, and Blackfield - check
Steve Wilson = Insurgentes - what MidFi said, "ponderous" - check

I'm liking the new PT though

I did the same thing about twenty something years ago when I bought a Steven Miller album. I remember hearing a radio interview with Steve Miller (The Joker, Take the Money And Run, Fly Like An Eagle, etc) who said he was going to be putting aside rock for awhile and dabbling in jazz. I was a budding jazzophile and huge Miller fan since I was a kid, so I picked up this album called Singing Whale Songs In A Low Voice...man oh man, was I way off. Turned out, I liked the material - kinda fusiony guitar jazz, but not schitzoid. Funny thing was, the album cover and title were so Steve Miller Band of the day...ya had to believe that was on purpose.

kexodusc
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I found the music on Incergentes, especially the 5.1 mix to be pretty good...maybe at times it's a bit too brooding if I had any complaint, but Wilson has always seemed to be vulnerable to overdoing moods a bit - that's ok though, it just means there's substance and sincerity in his writing.

Mr MidFi
10-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Steve Wilson = Insurgentes - what MidFi said, "ponderous" - check

No doubt. But I think I like it better than you do. Like I said... the 5.1 mix adds an interesting dimension.

But like you said, the new PT is definitely better.

Mr Peabody
10-06-2009, 04:21 PM
No, I heard Wilson's samples which led me to buy the album but I didn't realize he was the PT frontman until seeing it on the cover and then hearing the vocals on better speakers than my computer. :) But there were some other samples there that ended up being the other guy. I have the Blackfield 2 and like it pretty well. The, No Man samples didn't do much to get my interest. I have a couple PT albums I like but I don't think I am as big a fan as you all are.

ForeverAutumn
10-06-2009, 06:03 PM
No Man has to be heard on good speakers to be appreciated, IMO. BarryL lent me a couple of disks a few years ago. I played them in the car and almost fell asleep at the wheel. But then I spun them at home and found a whole new dimension in the music that I just wasn't getting in the car.

3LB
10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I prefer early No-man to the last few albums. I don't like that the ambient electronica facet of No-man seemed to go by the wayside. They don't make songs like Days In The Trees or Sweetheart Raw anymore.