The Beatles Re-Mastered [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles Re-Mastered

poppachubby
10-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, I think I am going to break down and buy a remastered album. I'll probably start with the White Album. I keep reading and hearing great things about them. Anybody bought any yet? Any opinions out there? I have heard that they sound like they were recorded yesterday. Yesterday, how appropriate...

Mr MidFi
10-06-2009, 05:56 AM
I picked up Revolver and Rubber Soul from my local Target store the day they came out. 11.99 apiece, and they gave me a $5 gift card to boot. Sweet deal.

Sound is very nice on both, but I wouldn't want to overstate the case. It's still a couple of pop recordings from 1965/66. Glad to have them both, even though I'm really much more of a Stones guy.

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Sound is very nice on both, but I wouldn't want to overstate the case.

No please, split some hairs on this one. Overstate, understate, etc., etc..... I want your full impression. But yes, I think for the price I will take the plunge. I have some fantastic Beatles vinyl, used to be my Dads. Are you in a position to make this comparison MidFi?

At first, I was a little skeptical of the obvious "cash grab" nature of these releases. However, if they sound better, I will gladly help Sir Paul's great- great- great- great- great- grandchildren live in the lap of luxury.

3LB
10-06-2009, 07:42 AM
I will gladly help Sir Paul's great- great- great- great- great- grandchildren live in the lap of luxury.

err uhh...that'd be the Michael Jackson estate (still majority owner)

here's a good break down into the minutiae

http://www.progressiveears.com/default.asp?bhcp=1

that'll keep you busy for a while

you could also check into the Steve Hoffman website since they obcess the Beatles 24-7, but they're way snobbier than the PE bunch...they may even give the general,tweaks,O/T section of this site a run for the money.

Mr MidFi
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I have never owned Rubber Soul nor Revolver on any format, so I can't really compare. Sorry, man. All I can say is... they sound pretty good.

3LB
10-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I always thought that the Beatles were one of the better sounding digital transfers of any '60s era band. Hell, I always thought the Beatles catalog sounded as good as any '70s era transfer. They were well recorded and well produced to the point of obcession. I'm curious too, as to whether or not one could really pick up on the improvements or was it more subtle. Too much new stuff (and too little money) to buy anything I already own unless it blows me away.

dean_martin
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I always thought that the Beatles were one of the better sounding digital transfers of any '60s era band. Hell, I always thought the Beatles catalog sounded as good as any '70s era transfer. They were well recorded and well produced to the point of obcession. I'm curious too, as to whether or not one could really pick up on the improvements or was it more subtle. Too much new stuff (and too little money) to buy anything I already own unless it blows me away.

Are you including the 1987 cds? Man, my copies of Abbey Road and the White Album on cds from '87 sound horrible. I'm going to try the new ones.

However, I have Help on UK Paralophone cd that was originally released in 1990 that sounds great. No need to replace it.

Slosh
10-06-2009, 12:51 PM
No SACD = no sale.

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Are you including the 1987 cds? Man, my copies of Abbey Road and the White Album on cds from '87 sound horrible. I'm going to try the new ones.

However, I have Help on UK Paralophone cd that was originally released in 1990 that sounds great. No need to replace it.

Ya Dean, the 87 stuff was ****e. Most remasters suck, I stick with my original vinyl for the Beatles. Let's try these suckers out and see...

Mike
10-07-2009, 06:20 AM
I have most of them as FLAC downloads which I grabbed a few weeks ago. You know what I didn't feel guilty considering we've seen them as vinyl/8 track/cassette tape/CD and now remastered CD. But I still haven't listened to them yet so can't tell you what they sound like.

However about 6 months ago I go hold of some Beatle remasters by somebody called Deniozer these are not the official remasters but they do sound good. They are a little on the 'hot' side with a very upfront clear bass and maybe too forward midrange (which suits my system) but I can't help but like them. They are easily the best sounding digital Beatles I've heard so far.

As for Deniozer I've no idea who he is or what methods he's used but if you get the chance give them a listen.

Cheers
Mike