Battlestar Galactica [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica

RGA
10-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Okay - I'm late to the party. Finally watched the complete series from start to finish. When it was first on - I was put off by the dark brooding stories but I caught it someplace in the middle of the first season watched one and never bothered with it again.

So I decided to do it right.

I have to say that movies get too much credit. A Good TV series like this or Dexter allows far more character development and nuance than movies. Of course it also allows a few more misfires to get through the cracks but all in all some of these shows really put the boots to film.

Galactica was one of the only shows that I felt you never knew what exactly was going to happen next - they killed of main characters midway through unexpectedly. Some very likable characters to boot.

Original inventive and - not a single "alien" in the show. Didn't really realize this but unlike Star Trek with seeking out alien life - Battlestar managed 4 seasons with no aliens just a man made group of robots on the hunt - sort of like the Terminator in Space.

Great acting and interesting characters.

The Baltar and number 6 thing was brilliant and roll out of my chair laughing at times funny.

Since one of the writers also worked on Star Trek -- the number 6 character had me thinking of Seven of Nine from Voyager. Now there are two posters that would make a 13 year old boy's wall a dream come true. 6 and 7 - pretty sweet! :lol: And Boomer - drool..

Okay stop that. :D

If you don;t like Sci-Fi you might still like this - basically an Air Craft carrier in space - lots of action, lots of Fraking swearing, lots' drama, heart, and a great series ender.

Favorite characters - tough but I like Baltar and Colonal Tigh

Cheers,:0:

blackraven
10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
It was a great series. It probably was in the top 3 shows on tv during that time period along with Boston legal.

kexodusc
10-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I sure liked it...though it tended to lose focus and drag on a bit much during the middle. I think the show deserves credit for knowing to bow out at the right time.

I like how quiet the space scenes could be.

E-Stat
10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Okay - I'm late to the party.
Yeah, I used to watch it first run in 1978. :)

rw

recoveryone
10-04-2009, 07:42 PM
The real funny part is how NBC passed on this after the first 2 hour debut. Very glad Scfi picked it up and gave it a place to live. I would agree that it did drag at times, but I felt that made us waiting more each week.

By the way E-stat, this was nothing like the old 70's series, more in depth and darker

RGA
10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
The 70's series was made for a completely different time - and it was one of the best Sci-Fi shows on TV - maybe the best one of the ones in space at that time.

The new series however is vastly superior in every way - although I loved the original's title music and wished they kept it in the new series(though they sprinkled it in on occasion). But they were going for an operatic Celtic kinda thing and that's fine too.

3-LockBox
10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I passed on this at first too - Boomer and Starbuck are chicks? -NO WAY!

Then someone convinced me to just watch the movie (series pilot). I've only watched through season three (cuz I rent, not own). I have to say it would hyperbole to say its the best episodic drama on TV ever...but its in the top 3 easy. Is season 4 the last? And what of this Razor? And is it true they're gonna make a series out of the movie prequel, Caprica?

nightflier
10-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Razor was by far the most revealing side-shoot of the whole series, and a pretty-darn suspenseful / violent one at that. Caprica didn't quite do it for me - I like the actors, but they didn't really seem to fit the story-line very well.

I still haven't seen the last 4.5 DVD set (it's sitting on a big pile of other movies that I still want to watch - too little time), but up to 4.0, it was by far the best series I've seen in a very long time. Dare I say, better than 24?

blackraven
10-05-2009, 10:32 PM
The Caprica series starts this month, its about the birth of the cylons and about the Adama family 50 years earlier.

3LB
10-06-2009, 07:00 AM
The Caprica series starts this month, its about the birth of the cylons and about the Adama family 50 years earlier.

I've seen the movie Caprica, but will have to look out for the series.

nightflier
10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Let's hope it's better than the movie.

3LB
10-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I must say I do like watching episodic TV shows this way (DVD). Nuthin like instant gratification.