Another HDTV Set Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another HDTV Set Question

dapercy
03-24-2004, 03:47 PM
I currently have the Sony KV-36HS510 direct view TV. The picture is absolutely great, but I have one complaint that is bugging me more and more as time goes on. It's the 4:3 Aspect Ratio and here's why it bugs me.

1) HD programs have the large black bars at the top and bottom of the screen with no way to zoom in to remove the bars. Atleast 25% of my screen is wasted in black.
2) The same goes for DVD's

I'm seriously considering selling it as it's held it's value remarkably well over the past 18 months and buying a 16:9 aspect ratio TV. Here's what I have as requirements for the new TV I buy and wonder what some of the TV experts on here think is a good option.

1) Dimensions must be less than 56" wide and 26" deep as I have an entertainment Nook that sits overtop of my fireplace.
2) B/c my nook is over the fireplace a traditional CRT with huge cabinet would result in next strain looking up to see the TV. The cabinet height must be less then ~1/3 of the total TV.
3) The TV has to be able to display 1080i and hopefully 720p, but if can't do 720p then upconversion to 1080i will work. Do not want a TV that down converts 720p to 480P.
4) I'm not an avid gamer, but do play video games from time-to-time. So I'll need a set that is not easily prone to burn in.

I've done a lot of looking but can't find anything that meets these criteria outside of DLP, LCD and LCOS, but I'm hearing that CRT is by far the best value. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.