Eq [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Eq

poppachubby
10-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Man what a great day! Picked up this Realistic 31-2018A 10-band EQ. 10 bucks at Salvation Army. Cleaned up real nice I would say. Virtually mint. Gonna plug in now. Scooped 2 pairs of AR RCA's 1 meter for 8 bucks each at my local surplus store. Now I have to dream all night at work about my new stuff...

poppachubby
10-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Man oh man, got the Eq processing between the Bellari and the Marantz. Absolutely killer, it also has a Tape Mon in and out. Bypass, EQ Rec, Tape Mon buttons on the face. Also a IMX Stereo Expander with gain. Nice little unit, I'm way thrilled.

manlystanley
10-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Sweet! Great finds!

Best Regards,
Stan

Hyfi
10-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Interesting. I got an AudioControl 10 along with the last system I picked up but never even installed it thinking it was just one more pc of gear to degrade the signal. Maybe I will give it a try and see if my system needs it or not.

poppachubby
10-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Interesting. I got an AudioControl 10 along with the last system I picked up but never even installed it thinking it was just one more pc of gear to degrade the signal. Maybe I will give it a try and see if my system needs it or not.

02audionoob has the same thought as you hy-fi. However, I gave both channels a rock n roll smile and it gives the Marantz that extra umph that its low power rating lacks. I am certainly not saying that this means I am playing at louder levels. Quite the opposite, my low level listening is even more refined than it had been...

E-Stat
10-03-2009, 06:45 AM
I think that equalizers can be useful tools when one is aware of what they can and cannot do. They cannot create frequencies that are not there. Bass shy 60's rock recordings cannot be fixed. They can be "fattened up", but EQs are unable to create first octave bass where none exists. Nor can they restore air to dry recordings. What they can do is ensure a greater degree of neutrality for ranges that are already served by the recording.

The irony is that most systems need room correction and unfortunately most active equalizers will indeed degrade signal integrity when run full range. With the main system, I'm able to use a forest of traps and was able to place the speakers optimally avoiding the need for an electronic solution. In the den where WAF rules, however, neither of those approaches is practical. I use a third octave EQ there, but only on the powered subs where I run them wide open (up to 150 hz) so they can fully participate. That is where the biggest corrections are required and it avoids the nasties that occur when the unit is run full range.

Using test CDs and a SPL meter, I found my room has a couple of modes that needed correction:

http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/eq.jpg

Without the corrections, the overall sound is heavy and ill defined. The lowest bass is not sufficiently there. While there is a small boost here and there, the most drastic *fixes* are achieved with the cuts. Just for grins, I tried the device in the garage with the Advents. While there are a couple of mild upper bass peaks that the eq could tame, the sound was immediately harsher and more closed in sounding. No joy. I'm also amused when I see folks who run ALL the sliders to the maximum using the "my stereo goes to eleven" theory of sound quality. The resulting roller coaster of peaks and valleys always sounds dreadful. :)

rw

harley .guy07
10-03-2009, 10:00 AM
This post just made me remember that I have a Sansui 3100 eq stored in a closet from a previious system years ago and I remembered that it worked well and did fix some of the room problems on the speakers I was running at the time but I also noticed that the Sansui added just a tad bit of noise to the signal. This always bothered me so I finaly retired it form use do to this and have not had the need for it again. But they can be helpful in certain situations.

Auricauricle
10-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Congratulations on the experience and purchase, Poppa! I am an eq believer, and have benefitted from their use for years....E-Stat makes a good point: be careful with these puppies; driving all the sliders into oblivion will ruin your sound. My best results have been obtained by bringing everything to rock bottom and bringing things up slowly to where my ears are most pleased.

Have fun and keep us posted!

poppachubby
10-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Well guys, after a couple of days I am still enjoying the eq. Everyone has made some great points in this thread. I have an HK eq already. I started my scoop with a "rock smile", however after doing some critical listening, found I had to lessen the highs and pop the high-mids somewwhat. Actually, it's quite flat with some extra warmth for the bass. E-Stat, do you set your scoop for a particular genres qualities, or for your systems strengths/weaknesses? What do your test cd's consist of, oir are they just music cd's you like for reference? I like Auric's technique, and I've shared my starting point.

The thing I hate about eq's is that it's not logical to think that one setting will suffice for all music. Personally, I just bypass when things start sounding crappy, unless it's just a small tweak. I keep mine set for rock/funk and if anything doesn't conform nicely, shut 'er down.

Hey Auric, throw up a pic!

E-Stat
10-04-2009, 07:41 AM
E-Stat, do you set your scoop for a particular genres qualities, or for your systems strengths/weaknesses?
First of all, this is for the HT where we rarely listen to music. The answer is I set it for the flattest overall room response and leave it alone. Placement of room treatments upstairs is done likewise.

What do your test cd's consist of, oir are they just music cd's you like for reference?
I calibrated the settings using a true test CD. I have a number of Stereophile test discs that contain third octave bass frequency sweeps. I also have individual frequency clips to test for specific room peaks.

The thing I hate about eq's is that it's not logical to think that one setting will suffice for all music.
It does if your approach is to fix the listening environment, not some poor recordings.

rw

dakatabg
10-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I have the Realistic 31-2020A

poppachubby
10-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I have the Realistic 31-2020A

you have it hooked up? looks good!

dakatabg
10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I have it hooked and I really love those eq and I don't think I will give them up. I use them with my Kenwood system! I got kenwood equalizer but when I hooked it the sound got worse so I had to put back the Realistic eq! Very nice and I like the led display at the middle! Colorful too! Go to my pictures and open my kenwood system to see the leds in action!

Glen B
10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I acquired a nice, mint condition Luxman G-11 EQ last week. I plan on using it to tweak some of my vinyl collection when making conversions to CD-R. It is heavy gauge all metal construction, the circuitry is all discrete, with minimalist features, and gold-plated RCA connectors, which I don't recall ever coming across in all the EQs I owned in the 1970s and '80s. The perforated metal top cover looked a little hazy, and I was lucky to have a can of dark bronze metallic Rustoleum, which was identical to the original color, so I repainted the cover.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/G-11_01.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/G-11_02.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/G-11_03.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/G-11_04.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/G-11_05.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/G-11_06.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/G-11_07.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/G-11_08.jpg

dakatabg
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I can say a big WOW.

poppachubby
10-06-2009, 01:34 PM
OK it's official dak, we suck. Yep, looks great Glen. Has all the features I need, bypass and the 6db gain. Really nice piece. I wish mine was brushed aluminum, so I am having huge EQ envy. Hmmmm, I think we've developed a new one here, EQ envy.

What is your full config for your vinyl conversion? Soundcard or USB amp? Pre-amp? I started converting recently but never considered the eq. I basically have my TT into my pre-amp into my soundcard's RCA input. Does it make that great of a difference? I use Audacity although I am hardly what you would call proficient. Please share with me Glen!!

dakatabg
10-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I know we suck! We use more affordable stuff we can find. Some people show up with very expensive stuff but it is ok. Show must go on. It is just a hobby.

Glen B
10-06-2009, 05:36 PM
What is your full config for your vinyl conversion? Soundcard or USB amp? Pre-amp? I started converting recently but never considered the eq. I basically have my TT into my pre-amp into my soundcard's RCA input. Does it make that great of a difference? I use Audacity although I am hardly what you would call proficient. Please share with me Glen!!

My vinyl conversion setup is : Denon DP-59L TT/Audio-Technica ATOC9 cartridge --> Classé CP-50 preamp --> M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard. Recording and Editing software are LP Recorder, LP Ripper, and WAV joiner, all by CFB Software. I am very pleased with the end results.

I know we suck! We use more affordable stuff we can find. Some people show up with very expensive stuff but it is ok. Show must go on. It is just a hobby.

FWIW, I paid $79 on Ebay.

Charlie04SiR
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I have a TOTL JVC SEA-80 graphic Equalizer, with pink noise generator and +/- 6dB octave switch. I also have a Pioneer SG-9500 that is in need of a refresh,but I am using the SEA-80 until I get the SG-9500 back to specs. The mid 80's saw big advancements in EQ technology, to allow for greater "flat" spectrum adjustments by utilizing a microphone input, so the sound waves can be "flattened" per whatever room or environment the system is in. What the professionals for concerts do is they "tune" the EQ using the mic and a pink noise generator, and set each slider to get the spectrum to be as flat as possible. This is supposed to be the ultimate setting for the cleanest, clearest, flattest sound. Basically tailored to the room dynamics. I had my SEA-80 set that way for a while. I could not bear it on enhanced CD's, just way too harsh. For movies, LP's and older analog transfer CD's, it was brillliantly clear.

Charlie04SiR
10-27-2009, 06:41 PM
ops! forgot to include a picture of my JVC SEA-80 EQ, it is a really pretty thing with floroscan display and shiny silver aluminum face. :16:

dakatabg
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I like the EQ with the leds

Charlie04SiR
10-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Man what a great day! Picked up this Realistic 31-2018A 10-band EQ. 10 bucks at Salvation Army. Cleaned up real nice I would say. Virtually mint. Gonna plug in now. Scooped 2 pairs of AR RCA's 1 meter for 8 bucks each at my local surplus store. Now I have to dream all night at work about my new stuff... Looks great, I used to have that exact same EQ, I sold it to my brother. I kept the original box and owners manual with it too :) It is a fabulous EQ. It does not add any distortion or noise to the signal. Simple design, yet elegantly disguised. Great score! :)

theebadone
10-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Wish i had one. :sad:

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Wish i had one. :sad:

Not sure if you know about "the Tree". Check this page out, varying quality and prices. Check out the rest of the site, lots of good stuff for a guy like you...

http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_EQ'S_And_Signal_Processors.htm

theebadone
10-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Thank you for the link. I will check it out. Actually the macs dont particularly like the eq but the kenwood would.

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Kenwood would...hehe

theebadone
10-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I dont have all them cool leds, i only have this antique soundcraftsman.

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
God damn that's a nice pile of gear...your right, the Mac's shouldn't need it anyhow.

Luvin Da Blues
10-29-2009, 05:03 PM
So, do all you guys have the same room acoustics? EStat is the only one I see here that doesn't have a EQ curve that looks like a 'smile'. :prrr:

theebadone
10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Thank you, The smile on the eq was for a pair of seeburgs dds1 that i was using. They didnt have much of a crossover, but the eq made them bearable.

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Actually, I would have to take an updated photo, mine is more like a grin now.

Glen B
10-30-2009, 08:47 AM
I dont have all them cool leds, i only have this antique soundcraftsman.

Nice Mac collection.

theebadone
10-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Thank You

dakatabg
11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey guys I just replaced the Realistic 31-2020A eq with Teac EQA-20! The Teac sounds much much better than the Realistic EQ! I used to love the realistic equalizer and I was thinking to keep them for long but today I got Teac eq and I just tried them and they sounded much better with very clear highs and deep bass! I never had Teac brand before but now I am impressed with this brand!

poppachubby
11-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey guys I just replaced the Realistic 31-2020A eq with Teac EQA-20! The Teac sounds much much better than the Realistic EQ! I used to love the realistic equalizer and I was thinking to keep them for long but today I got Teac eq and I just tried them and they sounded much better with very clear highs and deep bass! I never had Teac brand before but now I am impressed with this brand!

Looks good dak, sell me the Realistic! PM me if you want to.

dakatabg
11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I sold the equalizer for $50 on craigslist! On the first day I got 2 people and on the next day they were gone!

poppachubby
11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I sold the equalizer for $50 on craigslist! On the first day I got 2 people and on the next day they were gone!

Right on! I knew it'd sell no problem.