Need help with my TV!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my TV!!!

bigal1142
10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I’m new here so please forgive me if I’m missing anything. I have a Toshiba HDTV (65H84) and I just bought a Yamaha receiver (RXV665) and I can’t get any picture on my TV.
I basically went HDMI from my sat box to the receiver and HDMI out to the TV. I get sound, but no picture. I’ve tried different settings on the TV (not much to change) I’ve tried every setting on the receiver. I’ve even bought new HDMI cables just to be sure. I got it working at one point but once I turned off the receiver I never got picture again. I’ve called Best Buy(pointless), Crutchfield(charged me $30 just to tell me my TV is not compatible), Yamaha(says it’s the TV), and Toshiba(says it’s the receiver). I’m about to give up. Can someone give me any hope?????????
:mad2:

markw
10-01-2009, 03:02 PM
The first thing I would try is running the tv directly from the cable box. Assuming the HDMI cable is good, this should give you an incredible picture and whatever sounfd the tv is capable of.

Once this is done, then try the other HDMI cable. This should produce the same result and now you'll know te TV and both cables work.

Now, the only variable would be the receiver. I'd check the connections and setup very carefully (these are NOT intuitive). but the possibility of a handshaking issue between the STB and the receiver is always a possibility.

If you had an upconverting DVD (or a blu-ray) player you could test with another source.

bigal1142
10-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks, for the info. I did test the cables (sat box to TV) and they work fine. I believe I’m having a problem with the “handshake” between the receiver and TV like you said. I tried unplugging (AC) the TV, receiver, and sat box to try and reset the memory. I was told by Toshiba to try to turn on the TV 1st, receiver 2nd , sat box or other input 3rd . but I still get nothing. It seems as if the TV wants to find it cause the screen blinks but doesn’t pick up the picture. Should I keep trying or just give up?

Rudy Gireyev
10-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Bigal.

Yeah. It sounds like the receiver is the problem. Here's a link to discussion thread about this receiver. Poke around there and is you can find the solution to your problem.
Yamaha RX-V665 Discussion (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1122166&highlight=rxv665)

Good Luck.
Rudy

Mr Peabody
10-04-2009, 10:21 AM
If it worked once I doubt if it's a hand shake problem. Ask Toshiba or check your manual to see if the TV is HDCP compliant. If it is newer within the last few years it probably is. I believe it's the receiver. I have a Toshiba and haven't had any problems with HDMI. Mine is an older DLP.

Have you assigned the video input you are using to the selector setting? Once this is done you may have to save the choice some how. For instance, on the receiver you may push "satelite", but since the receiver don't know what type of connection you will use you have to tell it HDMI inside the receiver's settings.