Skylan stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Skylan stands

topspeed
03-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Just received my Skylan stands for the VR1's and thought I'd pass on my initial impressions.

Very solid construction and most importantly (for me) as stable as the rock of Gibraltar. It will take a serious shove to knock these over. Noel, the owner, custom sized the top and bottom plates for my needs and the fit is impeccable. I have to admit, I was a little put-off by the polymer columns at first but after loading them with sand, didn't give 'em a secong thought. With the speakers securely sitting on the ceramic contact discs, the sound is broad and extended at both ends. Beautiful. From what I can tell, no different from the $400 Atlantis steel stands that were on loan. A nice option for those of you looking for inexpensive stands.

Thanks to RGA and all those that gave recommendations.

RGA
03-25-2004, 09:30 PM
I was concerned about your initial impression of those polymer columns myself because they are quite lightweight...but supposedly are required - perhaps to kind of roll the vibrations down to the bass...who knows.

I'm glad you're happy though. This may sound odd but as much as I like to come onto forums and recommend products I HATE it when people buy stuff off possibly my recomendation because I feel responsible if they don't like it.

I was hoping Potlicker would tell us his thoughts of the Audio Note AN E/D speakers (Though I only heard the AN E/SEC) . He disliked his Paradigm Studio 40s so he went off my and other's recomendation of the speakers. That was a high ticket item and requires stands that I'm not sure he had... Audio Note speakers like a slight upward tilt and stands are critical to the sound of the speaker...have not heard anything either way.

I was also a bit nervous because of the US price being $200.00. I still think they're a good buy at that price and I doubt it's necessary to spend much more...though Skylan has a $350.00Cdn stand with four columns. Considering how ridiculous some stands can be $350.00Cdn is still not that expensive.

nusiclover
03-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Hey, now im interested in knowing about these stands. Wow! Rg's recommendations can be contagious. lol. Thanks in advance.
Ps. I was also looking at the VR-1 stands. BUt, before i rush off and do something like im already notorious for doing, i figure id take my time with the stands. :)

topspeed
03-25-2004, 11:02 PM
RGA,

Now that I think about it, the sound sucks...and it's all your fault! While I'm at it, it's also your fault that it's too damn hot in March, and...and...there's not enough snow left for any decent skiing...and...and...the tides come in too soon! How's that for gratitude ;)?
Interestingly enough, the receipt included with the shipping showed $140usd. What happened to the other $60? Shipping? Taxes? I'll have to call Noel and figure it out although it's really not that big of a deal. I'm happy with them and that's enough.

Nusic,

Dude, you are too funny! Those VR1 stands are custom for well, um...the VR1! Didn't you pick up your 52se's yet?

nusiclover
03-25-2004, 11:26 PM
nah, i actually had to work all this week and plan to get them over the weekend..,about the vr1 stands, whereas you are correct in saying that they are custom for the vr1, i was also thinking that they would work for the 52 cabinet size, after all, i did try them and they did seem to fit pretty flush. but, i dont know jack from stand when it comes to speaker stands. this is why i am asking you peoplez.

topspeed
03-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Ask Woochifer, he knows a lot about stands and his Sound Anchors are strong enough to form the foundation for small house!

nusiclover
03-25-2004, 11:46 PM
yeah i will ask him then. you know, i just now thought that perhaps speaker cabinets should be flush with the stand platform. this never occurred to me before now. butit somehow makes sense. however, saying that i alreayd know that dynaudio's $350 stands are just too much to pay. given the many other choices at $200-250. i just didnt know that the vr1 stands wouldnt really be the best match for my 52se. (this, btw, is something delears dont mention when trying to sell you something). anyway, i will seek out woochifer for advice.

Woochifer
03-26-2004, 06:34 PM
ts -

Congrats on the stands. Sounds like you got exactly what you needed. But, I got a question -- is that polymer column basically another way of say that it's plastic? :)

But, in any case, filling with sand really does the trick with stabilizing the stands. I don't know if it makes any difference with the sound quality, but it certainly feels a lot more solid. Hmmm, good suggestion with using those Sound Anchors as a foundation. We're about to redo our patio and that might be a good suggestion!

nu -

The range of stands out there is very wide, and it all depends on how much you're willing to spend on a pair and what your needs are. I spent $110 for my front stands and $350 for the surround stands. Why the difference? Because my surround speakers had different placement needs and fewer options were available. I wanted to elevate the surrounds to about 40" to 44" in height, and the stands needed to support a 30 lb. speaker. I opted for the adjustable Sound Anchor stands because they could support up to 100 lbs. and go up to 46" in height, plus they came prefilled and cannot be easily knocked over by our dog. With my mains, I just needed an 18" stand, and the Paradigm Premier stands fit my needs just fine, so I only needed to shell out $110 for those. After filling the columns, they are very stable.

If you need something inexpensive, reasonably well built, and stable, the Premier stands are better than a lot of the other budget stands on the market. The thing to watch out for with stands is to make sure that the base plate is well anchored to the ground and carries decent weight. A lot of the cheaper stands skimp on the base, and that makes them more top heavy and less stable. Target stands are also very good budget stands.

I suggest looking at Sound Anchors only if you got very specific height or weight capacity requirements, or you're looking for something extremely durable, because they are not cheap. Their basic stands cost over $200, but you specify the exact height and top plate dimensions that you want. What differentiates the Sound Anchors is that the stands get shipped preassembled with all the joints welded together (rather than screwed together in sections). They also make custom fitted stands for several different high end speaker lines, including B&W, Vandersteen, Aerial Acoustics, Wilson Audio, and Magnepan.

RGA
03-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Interestingly, plastic gets a bad rap. My best friend's dad probably runs the largest plastics company in BC. There are plastics that are stronger than any metal on earth and carry far higher melting points --- basically in every way are superior to steel - and hey they don't rust.

Not that this quality of plastic is in a speaker stand - but who knows. After all I have seen metal stands that if you tap your nail you can hear it ring...that IMO is worse than wood...give me a hollow knock over a ring - per usual it is about the design...wood stands get a bad rap too and I don't get it frankly. Since the speaker is made out of wood and no one complains then why would a wood stand get complaints...oh that's right...speakers using GOOD wood and that are well designed don't get complaints...cheap speakers with cheap wood have box resonances and ditto for the cheap wood stands.

Like everything there are degrees of quality. The weight is in the sand filling.

The thing that helps the Skylan stands is that the bass is basiclaly a giant turntable platter which absorbs resonances - which is why so many turntables use the same material.

Then again Rega uses glass so - again it's all in the design.

$140.00...Sounds like the US conversion from $200.00Cdn Shipping and tax for $60.00??? tough to say.