Gran Torino and a couple of others.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino and a couple of others..

Worf101
09-29-2009, 05:44 AM
"Gran Torino" - B - Vintage Eastwood, a film that, not unlike "Unforgiven" continues to de-mythologize the glamour of violence. Eastwood is a caricature of himself, this is Gunny Highway from "Heartbreak Ridge" old, wizened and dying. This is an old warrior haunted, not by the men he HAD to kill but by the men or women he CHOSE to kill. Good movie, great crackling dialogue, unfortunately it's a primer for asian racial insults, some I'd not heard since I left the service. But these terms are essential to establishing his character.

"Red Belt" - C+ - A better than average flick about the way of the warrior vs. the way of the money maker. Old school samurai values clash with modern day money making madness that is Mixed Martial Arts. Chiwetel Ejiofor as the lead is an actor who's work I've always enjoyed. He can play the villain "Children of Men" "Serenity" and the hero, "Red Belt" "Tsunami, the Aftermath". Worth renting if you're interested in martial arts.

"The Haunting in Connecticutt" - C - Average haunted house movie with a few twists for good measure. "Based" on a supposedly true story this "unsuspecting family moves into house with a past" story is superior to "The Amityville Horror" which it most resembles but is not in the same league as "Poltergeist". Still you could worse.

Sorry no pics Smokey. ;)

Da Worfster

3LB
09-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Yer spot on regarding Torino and Haunting In C - didn't see Red Belt. As much as I applaud Eastwood's desire to unglamorize violence, he needs to delve elswhere, because its becoming stale, with himself recycling older personas from past films. He's beyond believability and this sort of movie has limited appeal to me anymore.

Haunting In Conn boasted some surreal moments but is essentially no better than the A Haunting series on Discovery channel. I'd rather watch Most Haunted, Ghost Hunters or Ghost Adventurers than another grade B fright flick. I watched An American Haunting (2006) based on a true story concerning The Bell Witch of Tennessee, which has enough documentaion on it to make a miniseries, but of course the director has other ideas and decides to make it about incest. Nope - the cable TV shows I mentioned do good old fashioned ghost stories better than a lot of self-serving narcisist directors.

Hyfi
09-29-2009, 11:31 AM
great crackling dialogue, unfortunately it's a primer for asian racial insults, some I'd not heard since I left the service

Da Worfster

I was ROTFL at those lines. Like yourself in the service, I had a buddy in the Marines stationed in Okinawa and he used many of them but again, some I never heard.

It also reminded me of all Sawyer's Names for Hurley on Lost.

basite
09-29-2009, 12:04 PM
haven't seen the other two, but IMHO, Gran Torino was pure genius.

and as Hyfi already said, I was ROTFL at those lines. should've had a pen and paper to write the best down :p

not only that, but I think the story on itselves was just heartbreaking.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.