Dust Cover: Open/Closed During Playback [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dust Cover: Open/Closed During Playback

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 03:25 AM
Hey all, had a good conversation about dust covers the other day. I never gave it too much thought up until recently. I generally keep my dust cover on and have it open during playback. There are however, sonic reasons to have it open or closed, which is why some people detach it from their table all together. Would love to hear your feedback. Don't forget to include any variables that play into your decision, location of your table, speakers, etc, which has alot to do with it.

JohnMichael
09-27-2009, 06:33 AM
During play the cover is always off. My Rega is a fairly light table and raising and lowering the dust cover can cause the table to move slightly. With a manual arm in the leadout groove I do not want to cause the stylus to end up on the label or back into a groove and scratch a record. I also think that when the cover is left up it can easily resonate with the music and transfer the vibrations to the turntable.

02audionoob
09-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Definitely removed entirely. The hinges are rigidly attached to the top layer of the mmf-5, as is the tonearm. I wouldn't want to transfer the vibrations of the dustcover to the tonearm and back to the cartridge. I don't listen at extremely high volume...but the litttle things mattter.

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 09:52 AM
I was going to ask JM that question, if he leaves the hinges on or not, from his reply it sounded as though he may just pull the cover off. That's 2 already, I'm going to start listening today with the cover pulled out but hinges on, for now

Ed_in_Tx
09-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Always closed when playing. I prefer no fresh ground dust in the groove as the record plays, or at the least reducing the ambient dust as much as possible. Zero sonic influence with my setup, other than cleaner playing surfaces. I worked in a clean room environment in the past, and am very aware of microfine dust particles in the air.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/tblazed/duddknomo-tt033109.jpg

3db
10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Sonically, there I don't find a difference between cover open or closed. In teh interest of keeping th erecord clean as possible I play with the lid down.

jrhymeammo
10-03-2009, 02:59 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/tblazed/duddknomo-tt033109.jpg

It that a PL-1000 I see? or a Phase Linear?
I wish I still had the Pioneer.

Unless you have your TT near a speaker or a large fan, open/closed lid makes a miminal difference. Just enjoy your tunes and try not to worry about it.
I keep mine off to clear room for a Periphery ring.

Have Fun,
JRA

Ed_in_Tx
10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
It that a PL-1000 I see? or a Phase Linear?
I wish I still had the Pioneer.

JRA It's the Phase Linear version "8000 Series Two". I've had it 30 years.

Jimmy C
10-07-2009, 04:43 AM
...on my wall unit there isn't quite enough clearance to the shelf above for me to flip it up :*(

My table has a one or two inch gap when the dust cover is closed to allow air "turbulance" to escape. I can't say this makes any sonic difference, but it's an interesting idea.

After the bedroom is done, we'll probably ditch that big wall unit in the livingroom (make some room) and I'll go with a TV stand and a decent audio rack - I won't have to take the cover off every time!

JoeE SP9
10-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Cover is removed during playback. The small amount of dust that may get on the LP is less audible than the resonance a cover can cause.