ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Finch Platte
09-26-2009, 12:34 PM
When's the new ZZ Top coming out?

Mr Peabody
09-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Is there a new one? Some one really cares?

The boys put out a lot of good music but lost their mind after Eliminator. I think they lost it trying to remake the album over again. When you put on Tejas, then Diguailo and then Eliminator, they all have a different feel to them which is a good thing, whether record company pressure or greed once a band chases that big one over again it's all over. I lost a lot of respect when they went back and put new drum tracks to the older songs. Those versions suck.

3LB
09-27-2009, 08:17 AM
They've done nuthin but remake Afterburner over and over again. I know someone who has all their CDs post Recycler...I tried making a comp of any songs I liked and could not fill half a CD-R. They need to ditch the drum machines and synths and just make a simple rock album...if they can still write.

Mr Peabody
09-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Wasn't this very last album supposed to be them getting back to their roots? I didn't hear anything from it that caught my interest.

3LB
09-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Wasn't this very last album supposed to be them getting back to their roots? I didn't hear anything from it that caught my interest.Mescalero.

It was lame...maybe not as much drum machine so there isn't a dance track but it was still over produced as hell. These guys are supposed to be blues veterans but got nuthin to write about except the same one-liner excuses for songs that have made up the brunt of ZZ's last four or five albums. The title track was a silly assed song that uses words like El Camino Ford Ranchero and other latino sounding words as lyrics. Gibbons is still recycling the same riffs.

No, ZZ-Top never was about anything but fun, so I don't expect any poignant lyrical content, but they should make a straight forward, back to their roots album as a three piece band...or just hang it up. The sticker on the outside of the CD stated that this was a back to their roots, TexMex style album, but that was either a lie or the writer didn't know what the hell he/she was writing. It was as TexMex as a bag of spicey pork rinds.

Luvin Da Blues
09-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Rio Grande Mud and Tres Hombres :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The rest :Yawn:

MasterCylinder
09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Yes............the first three or four albums were very good.
First time I saw them in Ft. Worth in 1971 it was outstanding............they were not yet known anywhere but Texas and it was the first time I ever saw FIBES drums.

Saw them many times over the years and most recently about 17 months ago.

It is sad but, they have truly become a novelty act.

Jim Clark
09-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't ordinarily post to a thread just to dump on a band but at this point- what's one more ; )

Seriously though, never a fan but what I especially admired about ZZ top was the hot girls they always had in their 80's videos. Who knew high heels and bobby socks would become such a classic???

jc

Swish
09-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Seriously. Or do they only appear to be alive, like Stephen Tyler?

Mr Peabody
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
JC, a few years back I had to buy the video greatest hits when it came out, that was some classic stuff from the 80's, cars, girls & I love the video to TV Dinners.

Unfortunately, ZZ Top isn't the first band to keep pulling on a dry tet and won't be the last. They should have been like most of all the other old farts, quit and some years later come out of retirement to tour on all their classic material. Now I'd be afraid to go to ZZ Top that they might play something off the last several albums. I saw Def Leppard this summer by circumstance and they actually did a great show off their old material. They've had a lot of albums out in the past years, even last year, that didn't do a whole lot. I don't even think they played anything past Hysteria. You'd think they would try to sneak one new song in.

bobsticks
09-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Are all three still alive? Mebbe that's the reason for the drum machine...

3LB
10-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I saw these guys on VH-1 Storytellers a few weekends ago and it appears they could still play. They just can't write.