Manley Labs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Manley Labs

poppachubby
09-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey Everyone! Just curious what the concensus is on Manley Labs. Moreover I'm wondering if there are any Manley owners here at AR. Would love some feedback. I have been fortunate enough to have heard "The Snapper" in a live audition, let me tell you, it sounded awesome.

If for nothing else, Manley gets my vote for its fantastic designs. I absolutely love exposed tubes and Manley has the best flare for incorporating them. I very much would love to get their Steelhead Phono Pre, I am between that or a Pro-Ject. Not quite there yet however. I also am in love with the 300B Pre-Amp. It's a real beaut with specs to match its sharp looks.

Anyhow, would love to hear from any Manley owners or lovers, and learn more about this line. Pictured is the 300B, a tube lovers wet dream...the soft and sensuous, blue movie type.

http://www.americansound.com/Manley.htm

Mr Peabody
09-25-2009, 09:40 PM
I only know of Manley by reputation, and it's a good one.

I'm not sure how Manley differs from VTL in sound but I have heard VTL. Both used to be one company until family members split it apart. I don't know if it was due to differing opinions on how the equipment should sound or just difference in business practice. The VTL was very impressive, at the time some of the best bass response I've heard from tubes.

I was just listening to a Queensryche disc earlier and thought to myself how nimble and quick the bass response was on my Conrad Johnson. The kick drum had no lag or bloat and the lower octave detail is always good. My only criticism and this is just my set up, maybe not CJ in general, the bass could go lower and have better control in the extreme lower octaves. Not that it's bad or you would notice when listening but it shows if compared to my Krell.

poppachubby
09-26-2009, 01:52 AM
I only know of Manley by reputation, and it's a good one.

I'm not sure how Manley differs from VTL in sound but I have heard VTL. Both used to be one company until family members split it apart. I don't know if it was due to differing opinions on how the equipment should sound or just difference in business practice. The VTL was very impressive, at the time some of the best bass response I've heard from tubes.

I was just listening to a Queensryche disc earlier and thought to myself how nimble and quick the bass response was on my Conrad Johnson. The kick drum had no lag or bloat and the lower octave detail is always good. My only criticism and this is just my set up, maybe not CJ in general, the bass could go lower and have better control in the extreme lower octaves. Not that it's bad or you would notice when listening but it shows if compared to my Krell.

It's funny you mention that particular story. Yesterday I auditioned a Pro-Ject Phono Tube and had the EXACT same thoughts about the bass coming from it. I was using a pile of Nad through PSB. I had Aerosmith Greatest Hits playing and noticed just how natural sounding the bass was. Personally, with instrumental music, I like my bass to be punchy and mellow, present but not dominate. For me the tube reproduction can't be beat, but then again, there's alot of gear I haven't tried out yet so maybe that'll change down the road.

There's a Manley dealer in north Toronto. I am thinking about heading up to try out some of their pre amp gear and also I am interested in their Tube DAC. I have a feeling they might frisk me at the door for a Visa Gold...

hifitommy
09-27-2009, 11:44 AM
i just hope you have upgrade plans for your phono setup from the technics. the difference will be dramatic if you go to something like a vpi classic even with the orto red. i know these things cant happen all at once but it can be a goal.

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 04:47 PM
i just hope you have upgrade plans for your phono setup from the technics. the difference will be dramatic if you go to something like a vpi classic even with the orto red. i know these things cant happen all at once but it can be a goal.

Well Tommy, I know that with you behind me, all of my dreams will be realized! Hahahaha....just clownin. Ya I hear ya, the Technics is no sonic champion. My goal is to get a Music Hall mmf 5.1 or if I land some purses with alot of cash in them, the 7.1. My local hi-fi shop are trying to steer me towards Pro-Ject. We'll see, money is certainly an object right now. I have a fine little set-up which is used at lower volumes due to kids. The Bellari and the SL have made sweet love, the Bellari also spanked the high end out of the 2M Red.

BTW Tommy, please check out my poll in the analog section. No Manley Labs tales?
Eventually I'll get there but for now just havin fun with buying and selling hi-fi vintage and learning all I can from you guys. Ciao Tommy.

hifitommy
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
if you can get a tt w/no arm, and one of the jelcos that have detachable headshells, cartridge swapping will be hella easier. i have numerous carts mounted and ready to swap out on my mmt. the other part of that is mounting becomes EVER so much easier becaurse the shell is in your hands, not stuck to a mounted arm.

abouit a year or so ago i mounted an oc9 on my friends rega arm mounted on his vpi hw19 jr. MUCH more stressful than mounting on a shell.

alternatively, when i mount a cart on my grace 707, i remove the arm and prop its base so the arm is upside down. the 707 is tolerable for that reason. the regas have a captive arm wire.

i am sure the mmf will sound VERY nice, but do you want to have to go to the dealer every time you want to change your cartridge?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1256748622&/Vpi-Hw-19-Table-Jelco-Koetsu-a

above is the result of a quick agon search of jelco. the vpi is a VERY nice sounding tt, i had one with a sme IV on it and the only reason i sold it was because the arm didnt have a removable headshell. now i am happy with my sota sapphire/mmt.

if the guy doesnt have the original box, one can be bought from vpi and shipped to him. thats how i shipped my vpi ti illiois frm california. i even called vpi to find out how to place the tabel in the box.

i owuldnt be surprised at a nearly $100 shipping charge from fedex ground (you dont want it to go up a conveyor to a plane's height).

well, that was probably too much information, but a manley amp deserves a vpi level tt dontcha think?

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 05:16 PM
i am sure the mmf will sound VERY nice, but do you want to have to go to the dealer every time you want to change your cartridge?

Tommy, I don't want to sound rude, but you're all over the place. I got most of what you said except this line right here. Ummmm, no, I bought the cartridge from the dealer and at no "added" cost, they put it on. However, are you somehow implying that an mmf requires a dealer to change out the cart?

Anyways, I am in no position to buy anything from Manley right now. The main reason is exactly what you are telling me. I can't make the proper upgrades. I have a beautiful Copland integrated on consignment for that very reason. Still, I am always researching and listening and looking, I don't want to be out of touch. For now, I'll have to listen to you guys tell me how awesome everything is, rather than buy it and know for myself.

But hey, thanks for the info Tommy, I'm going to check out that link now...

hifitommy
09-27-2009, 05:39 PM
it IS a pain to change out a cart with the arm mounted in position. i tihink you dont need to make all the changes at once though. it would be a great learning experience to go from the technics to the mmf or vpi.

Mr Peabody
09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Tommy was saying the Rega would have to go back to dealer if one wasn't capable of mounting the cart because the arm is all one piece, no detachable headshell, nor can the arm be removed without undoing wiring. So bottomline changing carts on Rega is PIA.

Are you buying or selling the Copeland? It sounds like selling, why???

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Tommy was saying the Rega would have to go back to dealer if one wasn't capable of mounting the cart because the arm is all one piece, no detachable headshell, nor can the arm be removed without undoing wiring. So bottomline changing carts on Rega is PIA.

Are you buying or selling the Copeland? It sounds like selling, why???

OOOOhhhhhhhhh!!!! Thanks Peabody, that makes sense. Well that's actually great advice then Tommy, thanks! I checked out the VPI, looks great at an amazing price. It's a little clunkier looking than the mmf but I'm sure it probably out performs. What year is this from Tommy? Also, I've never had a TT shipped to me. I've read enough negative stuff to believe that it should be avoided if possible. Any thoughts or experience with that?

Peabody, the Cop is a real bone of contention in this house. I am selling it and it can be viewed here...http://www.targethifi.com/used.html. I would rather not get into it. I will say that I can't afford upgrades to marry the correct pieces to it. Secondly, since money is a factor, I couldn't just have it sitting so I decided to sell it. It was making me nuts having it and knowing I couldn't go any further with it. Make sense? Anyhow, down the road I'll upgrade, no biggy.