Interconnect Cables From Emotiva [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interconnect Cables From Emotiva

RoadRunner6
09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Emotiva just released two series of quality interconnects at factory direct to user prices. Gorgeous looking cables and very high quality construction. I am ordering some to test out. Here are the details for your information.

http://emotiva.com/xcables.shtm

Products inlcude:

XLR Balanced cables
RCA cables
Digital/Coax cables
Speaker cables
Component cables
Optical cables
HDMI cables
Power cables

poppachubby
09-25-2009, 02:41 AM
These look awesome. Which will you be ordering? I just bought an armful of Acoustic Research, I know, no Emotiva.

RoadRunner6
09-26-2009, 12:58 AM
I will probably get what I currently need and that includes some HDMI, RCA and XLR cables, all in the X-Series. Existing customers get 25% off thru the end of October. They appear to be top class quality construction. Some already are talking about improved sound but the sceptic in me will wait to see on that part until I have time to do an A/B test. :smile5:

poppachubby
09-26-2009, 02:28 AM
I will probably get what I currently need and that includes some HDMI, RCA and XLR cables, all in the X-Series. Existing customers get 25% off thru the end of October. They appear to be top class quality construction. Some already are talking about improved sound but the sceptic in me will wait to see on that part until I have time to do an A/B test. :smile5:

For sure, as I'm sure you know, after spending a big chunk of change, most people don't like to admit that there's no improvement. I've been there, almost a state of denial. Best to check em out yourself, post your thoughts here. Connections is something I've been very naughty about until very recently. Never heard any Emotiva connects but again they look amazing.

RoadRunner6
09-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Emotiva is a young company and cables are new for them. I have a few expensive cables, but most are from AR and Monprice. However, as I near retirement, I am finishing my upgrade which should hold me for a long time. I am now waiting for the new top of the line Emo pre/pro to be out about the first of the year. When that arrives I'll finish setting my system up all neat and wired. I want interconnects that will last for years with no bad connections, etc. The X-series looks like outstanding quality from the feedback on them. They also look super.

Once I get all my new gear in place (in the last year I have bought new amp, pre/pro soon, speakers and stands, Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD Audio Player, CD player and plasma display) and hooked it up, the only upgrade should be to a new pre/pro in 5 years or when the time comes. When you buy a pre/pro from Emotiva they sell you the next series upgrade model for 40% off, a great deal. In retirement I want to sit back relax and watch movies and listen to music when I'm home and not ever have to go behind my component rack for a long time! The new interconnects should help. :D

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Emotiva is a young company and cables are new for them. I have a few expensive cables, but most are from AR and Monprice. However, as I near retirement, I am finishing my upgrade which should hold me for a long time. I am now waiting for the new top of the line Emo pre/pro to be out about the first of the year. When that arrives I'll finish setting my system up all neat and wired. I want interconnects that will last for years with no bad connections, etc. The X-series looks like outstanding quality from the feedback on them. They also look super.

Once I get all my new gear in place (in the last year I have bought new amp, pre/pro soon, speakers and stands, Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD Audio Player, CD player and plasma display) and hooked it up, the only upgrade should be to a new pre/pro in 5 years or when the time comes. When you buy a pre/pro from Emotiva they sell you the next series upgrade model for 40% off, a great deal. In retirement I want to sit back relax and watch movies and listen to music when I'm home and not ever have to go behind my component rack for a long time! The new interconnects should help. :D

Wow. Well, let me say just how great that sounds! There's nothing I repect more than a man who knows where he's going.

I didn't know Emotiva had such an offer. So smart really, especially in these rough times where even people with cash are shy to spend. I would offer a word of advice and say that maintenance for the jacks of your connects should keep them going infinitely. I'm sure you already know this though.

Maintenance will provide a fantastic hobby as well for your leisure time. My dad spent most of his time with small engines and vintage audio gear. He certainly was never bored.

Hope to chat again soon Runner...

RoadRunner6
09-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Good chatting with you too, Sensei Chadsan. I have a 75 lb Emotiva power amp on the bottom shelf of my component rack plus a 50 lb component on a higher shelf. Even though I installed casters, it is still a bear to move and I have to pull it out from its space in the corner to access the back of the components. So once I get all the new components in place and new cables routed neatly I won't relish moving it unless I absolutely have to. :D

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Good chatting with you too, Sensei Chadsan. I have a 75 lb Emotiva power amp on the bottom shelf of my component rack plus a 50 lb component on a higher shelf. Even though I installed casters, it is still a bear to move and I have to pull it out from its space in the corner to access the back of the components. So once I get all the new components in place and new cables routed neatly I won't relish moving it unless I absolutely have to. :D

Well, it certainly won't be top heavy, will it! 75! Oh man, I feel it comin.....headbang!!!!

harley .guy07
09-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Very good looking cables. if they deliver the goods in sound like they do look They might be the next big thing in affordable high end cables. Looking forward to hearing some reviews on the forum on these.

Feanor
09-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Emotiva just released two series of quality interconnects at factory direct to user prices. Gorgeous looking cables and very high quality construction. I am ordering some to test out. Here are the details for your information.

http://emotiva.com/xcables.shtm

Products inlcude:

XLR Balanced cables
RCA cables
Digital/Coax cables
Speaker cables
Component cables
Optical cables
HDMI cables
Power cables

They look good. They are compeditive in price with Blue Jeans Cable which are a good deal. Emotiva mentions soldered connection of wire to plugs in some cases; I think Blues Jeans use high-compression, non-soldered joins at least for RCA connectors.

blackraven
09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I would like to see some specs on the IC's. They are priced cheaper than BJ's. The speaker wire looks like a fair deal for terminated 10g wire but I would rather buy BJ's and terminate them myself and save the money. BJ 10g is about 0.96/ft. Although the BJ's speaker wire and IC's are nothing special to look at.

Rudy Gireyev
10-03-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm curious what kind of power cables Emotiva ships with their amps. The X series or some basic power cable. Anyone know?

Rudy

frenchmon
10-22-2009, 02:29 PM
So RR have you got the cable yet??? IF so what do you think?

daviethek
10-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Just a comment that its great to see quality construction and fair pricing on interconnects. Sensibility has returned, in part. I await the reviews since I need a pair.

RoadRunner6
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
So RR have you got the cable yet??? IF so what do you think?

Frenchmon, let me say first that I ordered a few initial IC's to check out the construction and appearance. My entire system is in a state of flux. I'm waiting for the availability of the Emotiva top of the line pre/pro, XMC-1, $999. The UMC-1, $699, was just announced today as being in official production. So it is going to be several months before I'm able to do much actual testing when I get the XMC-1 installed. I'm just in the process of retiring and recovering from more surgery. Needless to say, in the next few months I'll have much more time to spend on my HT/MC music system.

I have receivied my original order and will put in an addtional order before the end of the month for what I need including RCA's (25% off for established customers). I got a 1 m HDMI, 1 m Component, 1 m Toslink and two .5 m XLR, all in the top of the line X-Series. The cost was $105 shipped free. I have decided to use RCA and return the XLR due to a general change in strategy. The XLR cables are simply beautiful in appearance. I need the component/toslink for my DVD-R. Packaging is excellent as always with Emo. The general build quality, fit, finish and appearance is outstanding in my opinion. I might have to get used to the flat style HDMI cable. The outter nylon braided sleeve is very tough and looks like it would withstand a lot of abuse while still looking attractive. The cables are on the thick and stiff side, not surprising to me from the apparent construction quality.

Sorry, I have had no time to check performance. I plan to do some A/B blind testing when I get time with the Emo RCA versus my Audioquest RCA on my ERC-1 CDP.

poppachubby
10-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Sorry, I have had no time to check performance. I plan to do some A/B blind testing when I get time with the Emo RCA versus my Audioquest RCA on my ERC-1 CDP.

Now that sounds interesting, please share the results.

frenchmon
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks RR. Take your time and get well. And please, do enjoy your retirement. I'll wait your review.

frenchmon.

nightflier
10-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I haven't heard them, so I'm not going to comment on that. But on looks, they look suspiciously similar to a lot of other cables from China. They are perhaps not as cheap-looking as Dayton or Phoenix gold, but on looks, I'll take a pair of Kimber Kable's PBJs (http://cgi.ebay.com/Kimber-Kable-PBJ-1-Meter-Pair-w-Ultraplate-Rcas_W0QQitemZ140355920552QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item20addd62a8) anyday.

RoadRunner6
12-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Sorry folks, but some continuing medical/surgery issues. I'm fine just lots of bed rest due to complications. My Emotiva cables are still sitting in their boxes.

This new review doesn't have much meat in the how do they sound category but informative especially about build quality.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cables-products-menu-column3-48/749-emotiva-x-series-av-cables.html

poppachubby
12-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Sorry folks, but some continuing medical/surgery issues. I'm fine just lots of bed rest due to complications. My Emotiva cables are still sitting in their boxes.

This new review doesn't have much meat in the how do they sound category but informative especially about build quality.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cables-products-menu-column3-48/749-emotiva-x-series-av-cables.html

Take it easy bro...

bfalls
12-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Anyone buy from Knuconcept cables? I've had an interesting experience with them. After reading of their clearance sale in this forum, I went to the site and purchased 4 sets of 1M interconnects, a set of 5M interconnects and a 'Y' cable I wanted to use for bi-amped dual subwoofers.

I received the cables in about three days. When I opened the box, I noticed they short-shipped the 1M interconnects and sent one pair instead of four. The invoice had toner smear along the left-hand side, so I couldn't tell if they had been back-ordered. I immediately sent email via the contact page on their website. I didn't hear anything in two days so called their non-toll-free number and spoke with a sales person. The rep said they were out of the clearance interconnects, but were going to send me three others which were upgrades. I said no problem.

I then attempted to replace my current 'Y' cable and interconnect on my biamped subs with the Knuconcept cables. Their cables immediately shutdown my amp. I got out my multimeter and determined the whited-tagged interconnect was wired wrong on one end. The signal wire on one end went to the ground on the other end and vice versa.

With the short shipment and now the bad cable, I'm not feeling "warm and fuzzy" about Knuconcept cables. I believe if I hadn't called them they wouldn't have proactively sent the remaining 1M cables and I still haven't heard back about the 5M interconnect which is wired wrong. I understand they're clearance items, but they should still be safe to use without shutting down my amp.

I checked and installed the remaining 1M interconnects between my receiver's pre-outs and Emotiva XPA-5 5ch amp. I watched/listened to "District 9" Blu-ray through them, but will wait until they've had a proper break-in before posting an evaluation.

frenchmon
12-28-2009, 05:00 PM
WOW! I guess they where on clearance for reason....sorry about your business deal bfalls. First time i've ever heard of cables shutting down some body's rig. Any chance on getting your loot back? Which cables did you get from them?

frenchmon

poppachubby
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Their cables immediately shutdown my amp. I got out my multimeter and determined the whited-tagged interconnect was wired wrong on one end. The signal wire on one end went to the ground on the other end and vice versa.

What a nightmare!!! Clearance does not mean unusable garbage. I wouldn't take this on the chin. You should call them up and make every demand possible. Good chance they brush you off, but then again, maybe not.

You should certainly try, if for nothing else, to keep yourself from fashioning a 1M cable into a noose and checking out.

bfalls
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Here's an update on my Knuconcepts closeout cable purchase. I feel it's necessary if you bash a vendor for bad practices, you should also praise them for good. Although their communication is bad (took two emails and three calls) they did come through with a replacement.

The last time I called I was able to talk to some one who offered to replace the cable. They no longer had the cables, so gave me the option of either having it replaced by a shorter version of the same cable, or getting a refund. The original cable was 5m, they wanted to replace it with a 4m version.

I felt it was best all around to take the shorter replacement. I also asked them what they'd like me to do with the defective cable. Since the extra length was overkill and I really only needed a 3m or 4m cable, the replacement was fine. Also, since they didn't respond to get the original cable back, I'll repair it myself to offset the difference in length. With a cost of only $5.49 for the cable, I didn't think they would want it back, nor would I have shipped it if I had to pay the shipping.

I'm still in the process of evaluating the cables, up to now all has been fine. I'll update my review later. For now though, I can neither recommend the cables or the service. Although I did receive a replacement, having them short-ship me originally, getting a bad cable and then them having such bad communication, they will not be my first pick in the future. They would need to have another "blowout" before I would consider them.

atomicAdam
01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
anyone pick up a set of the emotiva RCA ICs yet? wonder how they compare to BJC or Monoprice?

kexodusc
01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
anyone pick up a set of the emotiva RCA ICs yet? wonder how they compare to BJC or Monoprice?
I did recently just to see what they are like...The X-Series are well constructed and I was impressed. I think I still prefer the BJC but they do cost more money...if space and tight bends are a factor, that's one area the BJC's come up short though.
Here were my thoughts:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=312442&postcount=2