Technics SL-Q2/Ortofon 2M Red...a day of surprises... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Technics SL-Q2/Ortofon 2M Red...a day of surprises...

poppachubby
09-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Whats up everyone!?! Man what a day. For any of you who've read my Pro-Ject thread you know that I am expecting a Technics SLD2. Well guess what? I had it wrong, it's actually a n SLQ2. Man oh man, I was overjoyed like a school girl. For starters, the D2 is ok but would require some tweaks right off the hop, wihch quite frankly, I wasn't in the mood for. The chassis and platter would need lining and the RCA's replacing.
The SLQ2 is shockingly adequate for a mid level table, its build is super tough like a 1200. It probably weighs a good 15-20 lbs and has a great, solid construction.

The other great thing about this particular table is, now get this, it was purchased at a garage sale, new in the box and sat in that buyers attic until now. He bought it for 40 bucks and didn't need it, but couldn't resist a deal. He then took it to be fitted with a cartridge, told his great tale and has not been back for 3 months to pick it up. He is unreachable by telephone, number no good anymore. So these wonderful guys at Target Hi Fi are giving it to me for 30 bucks.

Now, I have heard so much great talk about the Ortofon OM 10, so I decided that's what I want. Guess what people, Ortofon has actually discontinued production of this model. I coudln't beleive it, after all the chatter on here not one person was aware of this. Ortofon has replaced it with the 2M series. It's actually way better in upgrade terms. I took the eliptical (Red) but it has 3 upgrades to the grand daddy nude shiabata. The good news is that the higher upgrade are suitable for the more higher end tables that I will hope to be owning. Pro-Ject fit their mid-level tables with the 2M right out of the factory.

Anyhow, I will get the table and cart tommorrow after work and I can hardly wait. No more belts!!! I know belts are great but for now I will enjoy my direct drive. I'll post the pics tommorrow guys....but here's one of the box, I brought it home so I could research the numbers a bit...ciao!!

02audionoob
09-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Well, chubbs...I for one am happy for you. I can't wait to hear how it all goes. As for the OM cartridges...there's no indication on the Ortofon website that they're discontinued. How did you learn of ths?

http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=64

And Needle Doctor is still offering the 10

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.274/.f?sc=2&category=378

Although perhaps that particular version is the discontinued one?

poppachubby
09-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, chubbs...I for one am happy for you. I can't wait to hear how it all goes. As for the OM cartridges...there's no indication on the Ortofon website that they're discontinued. How did you learn of ths?

http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=64

And Needle Doctor is still offering the 10

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.274/.f?sc=2&category=378

Although perhaps that particular version is the discontinued one?

Ya Noob, Target here in town are the official Ortofon dealer for my area and told me that all they had were 10 stylii but no cartridge. The 2M Red is its new equivelant. I had a pretty cool chat about Pro-Ject tables vs. Music Hall down there too. Thought about your table. They are the local Pro-Ject and Rega dealers and of course, were selling me all the virtues of Pro-Ject. I actually took inspiration from their top of the line platter design w/ top clamp. I think I'll buy a decent clamp and try to make my own with a cheap table, just to see if I can do it. I have an old belt driven Sears LXI that could be used. I'm going to audition the new Pro-Ject Tube pre, they've restyled it, you should check it out, the tubes are now fully exposed, I love it! Here's a link to the table I'm talking about with the killer platter... http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=rpm10&cat=turntables&lang=en

BTW, your link is to the Ortofon site, but that's the OM 5E, not the same, so I think it's true, OM 10, 20, and 30 have been replaced. Check out the 2M, it's quite awesome. As I've already said, the upgrades kill the OM10... http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=75

dean_martin
09-25-2009, 08:27 AM
I use an Ortofon 2M Red with a Technics SL-1210Mk2. I really like the Red with the Sumiko HS12 Headshell (which requires use of the arm's extra weight because the HS12 is heavier than the stock headshell). I'm not sure if the HS12's better wiring tamed the Red's high frequencies or whether the cart had settled in at about the time I started using the HS12 (or a combination of both) but I'm set.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Sumiko-HS12-Headshell

poppachubby
09-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the insight Dean...I'm heading down right now to get it. They have it plugged into the new Pro-Ject Phono Tube for my audition. I'm taking mint copies of Muddy and the Wolf, a blues comp...Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol 1/2....Crowded House, Temple of Low Men and Aerosmith's Greatest Hits. This will mimick all ranges of my tastes hopefully. Stay tuned...

dean_martin
09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the insight Dean...I'm heading down right now to get it. They have it plugged into the new Pro-Ject Phono Tube for my audition. I'm taking mint copies of Muddy and the Wolf, a blues comp...Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol 1/2....Crowded House, Temple of Low Men and Aerosmith's Greatest Hits. This will mimick all ranges of my tastes hopefully. Stay tuned...

Cool! I notice in your equipment list you have the Bellari phono amp. The 2M Red's high output makes it a very good match with the Bellari.

poppachubby
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
It's here! I have yet to hook it up, after the kids are in bed. I had a good listen at the shop though. Sounds great. The guys had it on top of a pile of Nad gear through some PSB speaks. I then auditioned the Pro-Ject Phono Tube with this rig.

The tube pre is fantastic sounding and looking. The tubes are now exposed at the rear of the unit as opposed to enclosed at the front. It looks way tougher, and with a chrome finish, super sleek as opposed to its boxxy predecessor. The only disadvantage I can see, is if you had it atop a shelf or at any height greater than your eye level, you wouldn't be able to see the tubes. The original design, with its tubes at the front, did not have this issue.

As far as sound goes....what do you think?!? Ridiculously accurate with a wonderfully natural, life giving bass tone. In fact, it exposed the sonic weaknesses of the SL-Q2 with great ease. At a low volume even, the noise from the Technics was evident. Basically, the phono tube is in a class far superior to the table.

In one sense, it was dissapointing to hear the "reality" of my new table. I am still quite pleased though. I am going to take my HK T35C down and see how it stands up to the tube. I have a feeling that it won't cut it either. I suppose there is a bit of relief. I now know that I won't have to be saving or spending the required funds at this juncture. My Bellari is probably the best suited pre for the tables I own.

As far as the cart goes, a little early to say. With all the amazing gear I was patched into, I won't know the carts abilities until later tonight, after a good session. I will be hatching the good stuff. Mint P-Funk and Curtis Mayfield should do it. I have serviced my wife's Marantz 1515 and will be switching out my HK A-401. I want to focus on low power vs. clarity and noise. The 1515 is remarkably great in this scenario, plus I haven't patched into its phono stage since I've bought it.

I'll be sure to report my findings. Also, be on the lookout for some serious DIY. With the CNC machine I have access to at my work, I plan to cut a 1 inch acrylic platter and with a clamp, upgrade an old TT. This will primarily be a test run. The main difficulty will be shimming the tonearm and maintaining its parallel position. Any suggestions are welcome, I plan to photograph everything. If it can be done successfully, this could be a worthy and beneficial upgrade for us poor audiophiles. Trying to keep the costs within $100.

Later All!!!

poppachubby
09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
A couple more pics guys...man the 2M is a little heavy on the highs right out of the box. I had to turn down the treble by 3 notches on the 1515. Aside from that, its incredibly accurate with a great, bright tone. The seperation is great, it seems to me that it's probably working harder in the groove than my previous carts. As compared to my recently aquired Grado DJ 100, its overall sound is more relaxed and quiet yet bright, with great detail. The DJ100 I find to be really aggresive sounding, with muddier, however quite impressive bass reproduction. A little early to tell for either cart as I'm not even at 25 hours with the Grado yet.

poppachubby
09-26-2009, 02:45 AM
Well...a crazy night of listening. I am due to work at 7am this morning. I was up until 3am listening to my new table and cart. My wife came down around 2am and looked at me like I had 3 eyes. When I looked in the mirror I could see why. None the less, I am in love with my new set up. I think I will probably hook the A-401 back up but we'll see. The 1515 did a great job however, and made sweet love to the Technics.

I really wish I had heard the Ortofon OM10 so I could tell everyone the differences. Just quickly, the 2M really picks up, seperates and drives subtlties extremely well. Noticable example was on Crowded House, Temple of Low Men. "Into Temptation" has a quiet brush track through the verses. Previously, and even with the Grado DJ100, it's very quiet but the 2M pushed it up in the mix. I was almost shocked at how well it did.

The good news is, it only gets better from here, toodaloo!

thekid
09-26-2009, 02:54 AM
great pick-ups there Pops.
I have a SL-Q300 sitting idle in the garage waiting for cartridge.

Reticuli
10-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Don't know about the 10, but there are plenty of them available online. And the OM series is itself not discontinued. The 2M range is a new line, not a replacement for the OM. Of course, the OM, Super OM, and Digitrac(k) bodies are all interchangeable...the latter two being higher inductance. I would not dish out that much dough for a bonded elliptical found on the 2M, though. Seems too expensive.

poppachubby
10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Don't know about the 10, but there are plenty of them available online. And the OM series is itself not discontinued. The 2M range is a new line, not a replacement for the OM. Of course, the OM, Super OM, and Digitrac(k) bodies are all interchangeable...the latter two being higher inductance. I would not dish out that much dough for a bonded elliptical found on the 2M, though. Seems too expensive.

Have you heard it? Pro-ject fit some of their mid level tables with the 2M out of the factory. It's worth every penny...

Reticuli
10-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I have the 5E and the nude elliptical variants, with both OM and digi/super bodies. The replacement tips alone on the 2M cost more than a lot of other competitive carts. It's seems to me like they're just slightly stiffer suspension and more inductance than the digi/super...and possibly callibrated. Ortofon recommended the 2Ms to me, but I decided to go with Denons. My only issue now is trying to find cheap, not crummy sounding tips to practice djing with. The OM series seem to be the closest I can find for that purpose.

poppachubby
10-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I have the 5E and the nude elliptical variants, with both OM and digi/super bodies. The replacement tips alone on the 2M cost more than a lot of other competitive carts. It's seems to me like they're just slightly stiffer suspension and more inductance than the digi/super...and possibly callibrated. Ortofon recommended the 2Ms to me, but I decided to go with Denons. My only issue now is trying to find cheap, not crummy sounding tips to practice djing with. The OM series seem to be the closest I can find for that purpose.

I see, so you use them for DJ'ing primarily? Totally different application, I can see why price would be a factor.