Sunday Spins? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Spins?

tentoze
11-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Colder than normal in the desert this morning. To warm things up, I played 1 1/2 sides of a newly- acquired (vintage used) Best of Steve Goodman lp- what a treasure. Then The Decline of British Seapower, dang good after 2 spins (it sounds like the record Bowie should be making). Now another new acquisition, Moses Guest S/T- 2 cd's of really fine jam-band affiliated stuff. Bet Tug would like this one.........

Anybody else listening this AM?

Davey.
11-23-2003, 10:04 AM
California Stars :)

I'm listening to Mermaid Avenue by Billy Bragg and Wilco right now. I hadn't heard it for awhile since I only have the LP, and my vinyl and I are in different states right now. But I never forgot how good it is so when I saw a copy at the library yesterday, I grabbed it. Getting kind of homesick for the coast right now, I'd like to dream my troubles all away on a bed of California stars. Seems to be stuck on track 2, for about the fourth time.

Hey, nice Sunday out there! Clear and chilly outside, way over yonder here. Been listening a LOT to the new Laika album, Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing. One of those rare albums that I can just put on in the morning and listen to all day, at least whenever I'm in and listening. Always sounds good and has an enchanting feel. Smooth and organic, but still feels like your motoring at high speeds along a scenic European road at night under the glow of a pink moon, even when you're just sitting still. Although it's hard to keep your whole body still when those underlying glitchy beats are trying to make your limbs do things they weren't designed for doing :).

The sound isn't really anything new, since this musical style was nearly perfected by them back in the mid 90s when they arrived on the scene fully formed with Silver Apples on the Moon and almost from the first listen became one of my favorite bands. And now on their fourth album Margaret moves a little closer to the front with her vocals, singing more than the sing-speak style she often used in the past, and they trim back some of the layers of sound to come up with another fabulous album. I think the first two will always be tied for first place in my mind, but this new one easily falls into second place already, well ahead of Good Looking Blues, even though that last one had a few very high points. The trouble with it was it didn't have a good flow between those stellar moments. This one may not reach the same peaks but it's so solid and just plain loveable that I like it more. At least that's my story now.....I can always change my mind later.

You can kind of tell what your gonna get inside just by looking at the cover, as it just features some simple line drawings in a classy three-panel digipak with separate lyric booklet.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C8XH9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bout time for some football now, with 49ers vs. Green Bay, so music will have to wait......

dld
11-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Wet cleaned a load of Vinyl last night, couldn't wait to get to them this morning. Played Side 1 off these:

BB King, , There Must Be A Better World Somewhere
Jon Fahey, Requia
ELP, Pictures...
Stones, Hot Rocks, 1964-1971, ABCKO Remaster
Rickie Lee Jones, Pirates
Graham Parker, The Real McCaw
Les MCann and Eddie Harris, Swiss Movelemtn, Live at Montreaux Jazz Festival. I can't believe how good this sounds. First song just jumps out of the speakers and there isn't much of a let up thru side 1.

mad rhetorik
11-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Talking Heads: Remain In Light
My favorite T-Heads album. I love how the album starts out really funky with the first 4 songs then becomes more and more subdued, ending with "The Overload" which is a pretty dark and slow song that Brian Eno penned.

Don't know what I'll play after this. Maybe Fugazi or Husker Du.

tentoze
11-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Wet cleaned a load of Vinyl last night, couldn't wait to get to them this morning. Played Side 1 off these:

BB King, , There Must Be A Better World Somewhere
Jon Fahey, Requia
ELP, Pictures...
Stones, Hot Rocks, 1964-1971, ABCKO Remaster
Rickie Lee Jones, Pirates
Graham Parker, The Real McCaw
Les MCann and Eddie Harris, Swiss Movelemtn, Live at Montreaux Jazz Festival. I can't believe how good this sounds. First song just jumps out of the speakers and there isn't much of a let up thru side 1.

The Rickie Lee and GP are definte keepers- I have the GP on vinyl and love it.

PPG
11-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Let It Be...Naked Deluxe Version (cd-r). I took Let It Be...Naked and burned it to cd-r but re-sequencing the songs back to the original order of the album, then adding the Let It Be songs from Anthology 3, then there was enough room let over to fill out the cd-r with about 4 songs from the original album - listening back to it now.

Then, I burned a cd-r of tracks from discs I'm donating to Salvation Army, including some 20-bit C.C.R, some Supertramp, and a couple of power poop discs. (RPM, where you at, son?) Anyway, that disc is up next in the changer. Beautiful day here in NC, too.

DMK
11-23-2003, 01:36 PM
It's been a great day so far!

1) Black Rock - James Blood Ulmer. The title track is what I play for folks who love funk because you can dance to it. Not this one! :)

2) Complete Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis

3) V - Merzbow/Pan Sonic

4) Orchestral Works, Vol 3 - Krystof Penderecki

5) St Anger - Metallica

6) Iron Path - Last Exit

7) Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys - Jemeel Moondoc

8) Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane

Nice variety of stuff today. Thanks to Dusty Chalk for turning me on to Pan Sonic! As much as I enjoy Merzbow, he's never sounded better than with the help of those two weirdos! :)

Dusty Chalk
11-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Davey - finally got around to listening to that, great disk! And I love the packaging, it's so ... elegant. Texture is nice.

DMK - you're welcome! I'm going to have to point someone else to your post, they were asking specifically about that disk.

It's always so nice to see someone enthusiastic about such a highly specialized genre of music.

Have you picked up the new KK Null yet, Atomic Disorder? On Neurot, of all places.

It's okay, but I liked Peak of Nothingness, and...dang, can't find it now, what I called his "psychedelic" album (yes, if you can imagine noise being more psychedelic, this is it). I still haven't picked up his two collaborations, Transgenic Nomad and Freakout Modulation...I need to...

Also, I forget if we discussed this, have you heard any of the "...of Drones" trilogy of compilations from Asphodel (Swarm of Drones, Throne of Drones, Storm of Drones)? Highly recommended if you can track them down.

Oh, yeah, I guess I should answer the original question: listened to Kylie Minogue, Slow. She's so great, can teach some of these young'un's a thing or two about dance/pop music. Also, DJ Keoki's Kill the DJ mix CD. Lots of weird covers on here, not the least of which is "Comfortably Numb" (probably the only one I don't like). All done electroclash style, if you can imagine it.

And it's a gorgeous day out here on the right coast. A little chilly, but ...well, the sun has set, what do you expect in the the latter half of November, an Indian summer?

DMK
11-23-2003, 04:40 PM
I'm still a noise newbie. A local CD shop does pretty well with the likes of Current 93, Controlled Bleeding, Nurse with Wound and Merzbow but not as well as I'd like with other noisemakers.

No, I don't have the new Null - still "slumming" with Ultimate Material III, Invisible Disaster, and Extasy of Zero-G Sex. I'll have to find an online source. I did pick up the Merzbow/Mike Patton collaboration based on a response you made to one of my posts long ago. It's a perfectly ok disc but I prefer things like "Adult Themes for Voice" which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite discs. One of the things that makes the Merzbow/Pan Sonic disc work so well is that the players seem to be listening closely to one another and be in sync. I didn't find that to be the case with Merzbow and Patton.

I'll look for the Drones stuff. Thanks again for all the great recommendations. It's "party music" for when you just want the party to freakin' leave!!! And since I've been an "out" jazz fan for years, I have no problem with the incessant question "what do you like about this crap?" :)

Stone
11-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Now playing is The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow, which is really growing on me, but so far I don't like it quite as much as Oh, Inverted World. Earlier was Calexico, The Keen (an almost-local indie pop band), and Sufjan Stevens.

Plus I watched some of a Minor Threat DVD.

-Jar-
11-23-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm still a noise newbie. :)

I just made a comp you might like.. if yer interested..

it's not as noisy as Merzbow or Pan Sonic, but has a nice mix.. some Main, Bardo Pond, Amp, M83, Brise Glace, God, H.I.M., and other assorted weirdness..

email me..

dubman99(at)aol.com

-jar