Anyone else looking forward to the new Built To Spill? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else looking forward to the new Built To Spill?

Mr MidFi
09-23-2009, 09:27 AM
It drops on Oct. 6, folks. Mark your calendars. They're on auto-buy for me.

"Product Description
When making the new album There Is No Enemy, Doug literally lived in the studio working all day and night. He spent hours and hours laying down guitar tracks he realized he couldn't use since the first live takes had the best tone and feel. He had to undigitally remix the record. It has the sound and feel of the album that every Built To Spill fan has been anxiously awaiting."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KVSJEQ/ref=s9_simz_gw_s1_p15_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1D5Z1KZ7CJ2TFPTEJWVB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846

Davey
09-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Wouldn't say I've been looking forward to it, but always like hearing something new from BTS. That said, like with many other artists, I do feel a little twinge of trepidation with every new BTS, knowing that it can't possibly measure up to my favorite BTS of days long gone by. Always good, though. And I do like that blurb about the first live takes, some of the more recent songs do suffer from that "constructed in the studio and polished too clean" sound. But when it all does come together, when the magic happens, it's like,well.. like describing eternity.. every thousand years, this metal sphere, ten times the size of Jupiter, floats just a few yards past the earth, you climb on your roof, and take a swipe at it, with a single feather, hit it once every thousand years...I've gotta be perfect from now on...I've gotta be perfect starting now

Ex Lion Tamer
09-24-2009, 08:25 AM
It drops on Oct. 6, folks. Mark your calendars. They're on auto-buy for me.

Yessireebob. Auto-buy for me too.

Finch Platte
09-24-2009, 08:27 AM
I've marked my colander, does that count?

Stone
09-24-2009, 08:39 AM
No, not really. I recently listened to Keep It Like a Secret and thought it was still great, but their last two are collecting dust on my shelf.

Mr MidFi
09-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I've marked my colander, does that count?

What you do with your kitchen utensils behind closed doors is none of my business, nor anyone else's.

3LB
09-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I wasn't crazy about the last one. It had its moments, a couple of great songs, but this press release isn't promising. I liked Martsch's more refined efforts like Keep It Like A Secret and Ancient Melodies of The Future, more so than the earlier over-driven, over-flanged NeilYoung sound that the older stuff had. For example, the song Conventional Wisdom was a boyant, propulsive rocker reminiscent of KiLaS or AMotF, but for whatever reason, after 3 minutes the song breaks down into another 3 min plus of Martsch's psuedo-psychadelic grinding meander.

But on the other hand, I can't see myself not buying it. Thanx for the heads up.

jonnyhambone
09-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I heard one new tune on the radio, meh... will give it more listens though cuz they're an ol' fave for me. I realized I only have Perfect From Now On on cassette tape after reading this thread, so I just ordered the 2 lp vinyl remaster. Can't wait! This is one of the better albums I know and I've just about worn that tape out over the years.
Anyone else dig the Halo Benders?...God Don't Make No Junk is some fantastic Martsch-isms (vocal harmonies and guitar noodlings) paired w/ the bass/thunder voice of Mr. Calvin Johnson. A really fun, and kinda goofy, album that's had many years of staying power in my collection.

Slosh
10-02-2009, 07:01 AM
I just got it and am on my first spin. So far it sounds more akin to Keep It Like A Secret but I'm only on track 4 at the moment.

3LB
10-02-2009, 10:31 AM
So far it sounds more akin to Keep It Like A Secret but I'm only on track 4 at the moment.Well now, that is encouraging, since it is their best album.

Mr MidFi
10-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Well now, that is encouraging, since it is their best album.

It had been a long while since I last played Ancient Melodies, start to finish, at a robust listening volume on my main system at home. And never before with my new-ish receiver. So I pulled it out this past weekend and cranked it but good.

Damn. That's a really great album. That's still the one for me. :3:

3LB
10-02-2009, 10:52 PM
So I pulled it out this past weekend and cranked it but good.

the CD?

Mr MidFi
10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Why yes, it was on...

Hey, waitaminutenow... You busying my balls again?!!??

NP: "Big Indian" by The Dandy Warhols

Mr MidFi
10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, I'm 3 spins in already... and me likey just fine. It'll prolly make the year-end top 10 for me, which is a bold statement considering the fine year 2009 has shaped up to be.

Jim Clark
10-13-2009, 06:00 AM
Wow, I haven't started digging on it yet. Won't pronounce a final verdict but for me a top 10 would be a massive comeback, something like last weeks Nebraska - Missouri game : )

3LB
10-13-2009, 09:01 AM
You going to midnight madness Jim?

I'm giving this a first spin as I type...

edit: up through tune, Planting Seeds. Boy oh boy, what a year for music. With bands like Umphrey's McGee, Dredg, Satellite, Andrew Bird, Doves, Gomez, Grizzley Bear, Arctic Monkeys, Phantom Band and Wilco churning out instant 'likey' I figured that BTS would somehow fall short but here it is, another instant likey. Quite possibly a top 10 contender...its gonna be a tough year to decide.

What's that...a fargin trumpet on Things Fall Apart? me likey

Jim Clark
10-14-2009, 06:56 AM
You going to midnight madness Jim?

I'm giving this a first spin as I type...

edit: up through tune, Planting Seeds. Boy oh boy, what a year for music. With bands like Umphrey's McGee, Dredg, Satellite, Andrew Bird, Doves, Gomez, Grizzley Bear, Arctic Monkeys, Phantom Band and Wilco churning out instant 'likey' I figured that BTS would somehow fall short but here it is, another instant likey. Quite possibly a top 10 contender...its gonna be a tough year to decide.

What's that...a fargin trumpet on Things Fall Apart? me likey

No Midnight Madness for me. With the direction the team has been headed lately they might not be there either!

jc

3LB
10-14-2009, 08:29 AM
No Midnight Madness for me. With the direction the team has been headed lately they might not be there either!

jc

What direction is that? At least KU still gets to say they were in the Final Four a few years ago - Memphis is toast. This new development might not be Calipari's fault, but it marks the second time a school has had to vacate its NCAA Tourney record because of violations (UMass, now Memphis), and the second time Calipari has bailed on a school because of trouble.

Jim Clark
10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
What direction is that? At least KU still gets to say they were in the Final Four a few years ago - Memphis is toast. This new development might not be Calipari's fault, but it marks the second time a school has had to vacate its NCAA Tourney record because of violations (UMass, now Memphis), and the second time Calipari has bailed on a school because of trouble.

Brady Morningstar, starting guard picked up a DUI at 3:00 AM recently, he's not eligble to play this semester.

The rest of the basketball team has been rumbling with the football team on campus. Three separate incidents of brawls. Nice.

jc