For the price of being a donkey... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For the price of being a donkey...

poppachubby
09-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Hey all, I've posted this in the analog section because I'm starting to feel like this is my home here on AR.

I was hangin at my local hi-fi shop last night and was presented with what I think could be a great opportunity. An assumably wealthy audiophile is coming from out of town to audition several pairs of speaks. They are closing off the entire upper level for this guy. Apparently he will be bringing some of his own gear. Among other things, he owns a complete Linn system that weighs in at the tens of thousands mark, close to 100 the guys figured, by the list he gave. Never heard any Linn that high end. Doubt he'll be bringing that but none the less...

I asked if I could be around for this and initially the guys said no. It's not good for business to have a guy with his mouth hanging open, drool dripping off his chin, etc. They did however make me an offer. If I work in the function of donkey, mule, servant boy, they'll let me in. Since this guy has a penchant for vinyl, my main job will be working the TT. Aside from this, I will have to keep drinks flowing and pick up any food that his audio highness might want.

At first, my pride said no, but then after I got home I started thinking that maybe this would be a good opportunity worthy of being a slave. Any thoughts? He comes in 3 weeks so I have some time to decide but I'm pretty sure I will do it.

nightflier
09-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I'd say no. There's no reason why they should treat one customer like a donkey and another like royalty. Who knows, you could win the lottery tomorrow and buy the whole store.

audio amateur
09-24-2009, 01:14 AM
I think you should. The guy has a right to have the store for himself for a little while so why not? I mean if i can have a room to myself... :D

poppachubby
09-24-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the input guys, hey Flier, I see your point but it's not as exploitative as you think. Just a way to have me around without upsetting this guy or annoying him. But still...

nightflier
09-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Well, let's hope you win the lottery next month....

Bill K Davis
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Sometimes money falls out of rich peoples pockets. Hang with these people,they like you,you're into somethin' good. Older equipment they don't want. Who knows?

poppachubby
09-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Sometimes money falls out of rich peoples pockets. Hang with these people,they like you,you're into somethin' good. Older equipment they don't want. Who knows?

So true Bill! You've sold me beyond a doubt...