Forget My Heart - Tunesday Tunes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Forget My Heart - Tunesday Tunes

Davey
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Whatcha been obsessing over the past week? Thanks to Sloshy, been listening a lot to the upcoming Six from Black Heart Procession, one of my favorites. Gonna be a highlight of the year for me. Good mix of the dark and atmospheric side of the earlier records, with some nods to their later, more upbeat sound..Very rhythmic, but still very dark.

And of course, the new Califone, All My Friends Are Funeral Singers. Another good one.

Pulled out some Ride, specifically the first two, Nowhere and Going Blank Again. Still sound great, especially the growth in the vocals on that second one. Good stuff.

Some old Joy Division, some new David Kilgour, some amazing Circulatory System, some cool-ass Richmond Fontaine, some just plain cool new Jon Hassell, and Eno's masterful Thursday Afternoon. Good week, as music weeks go.

nobody
09-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Whole bunch of stuff, but I'll just mention a trio of newer things...

I too have been listening to <b>The Black Heart Procession: Six</b> and enjoying it. Nothing really new or different if you've already been a fan, but certainly nothing a fan wouldn't enjoy as another excellent release.

Been really enjoying <b>XX: The XX</b> a self-titled release by a new group. Mellow, spares acoustic sounds with solid songs and lots of atmosphere underpinned by some heavy bass notes throughout. Unique sounding record that I've already played a ton and I'm nto sick of yet.

Next up, <b>The Raveonettes: In and Out of Control</b>. Their fourth full-length and probably their poppiest yet. Not a total distortion fest like the last one, this one uses the distortion more sparingly and is really hook filled and catchy. Another one I've played to death since ggrabbing and still dig.

3LB
09-22-2009, 06:35 PM
still diggin the latest Wilco album - it gets better with every listen

Been spinning the latest from Muse and Porky Tree - these are, as they say, growers. They're good for what those bands do, but they're nothing in the way of adventurous. Both have done better.

The not-so-new Modest Mouse, No One's First And You're Next - this EP of misfits is actually as good (if not better) than their last album. I think I like this band stripped down and less polish.

best surprise so far has been the latest Arctic Monkeys album Humbug. They're not trying to be the second or third coming of anything. It a departure from their first album, as they chose sophistication over hipster-chic.

Swish
09-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Yes, I've been quite the busy geezer but digging that new Califone as are you. Also got a surprise package from a usually MIA RR member from Texas that included It's a Wonderful Life from Sparklehorse, a cd that I've been unable to locate since my move at the end of July. I mentioned it in an earlier post and this very generous woman sent me a replacement along with the new release Veckatimest (it's named for an uninhabited island in Massachusettes that's about 17 acres in size) by Grizzly Bear and remasters of the Beatles White Album and Abbey Road, and they were all new, not cdrs. I was, in a word, overwhelmed by her generosity.

Anyway, I was climbing the walls because I wanted to hear the song 'Sea of Teeth' on my Studio 100s and I finally got the chance. Words can't describe how perfect it sounds, at least to these ears. It's my favorite on that Sparklehorse cd and one that I always come back to when I need to macrame my a<a>ss into the sofa and forget about the problems of day.

Swishdaddy

Jim Clark
09-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Haven't gotten around to BHP, but again, thanks to Slosh I've been enjoying the sonic stew of Califone which of course is awesome.

Also listened to The XX, but as of yet don't think I like it as much as Nobody, at least not overall. Couple of tracks I really dig though.

The new Depeche Mode is the best DM for a very long time. Mainly since it really harkens back to "the day". Hey, rehashed DM is still better than a lot of other stuff I hear and this will for sure be a top 10 for me. Freakin' awesome record.

Been trying to get to know the new Dodos. It's not Visiter on many levels. Doesn't mean it's not good but so far it comes up lacking. I guess that's understandable in as much as the second album isn't going to have as much of an "ahh" factor. It's also somewhat lacking in "oomph". silly way of saying that the frentic beats and wild percussion are there but not so much in the forefront. I also think the songs are a bit too formulaic. It's like they have this system and they're going to use it come heck or high water.

Also spent more time with We Were Promised Jet Packs and it continues to rool.

I also revisited Johnny Cash and his The Man Comes Around album. Only 2 1/2 stars from AMG? Seems weird to me.

jc

Davey
09-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Been trying to get to know the new Dodos. It's not Visiter on many levels. Doesn't mean it's not good but so far it comes up lacking. I guess that's understandable in as much as the second album isn't going to have as much of an "ahh" factor.

Used to love Depeche Mode. Not sure what happened, but don't like much but Violator anymore. Partly just cause it sounds so cool, got kind of a Kraftwerk motoriffic sound. Hey thanks, I was wondering about the Dodos new one. I had read a little blurb at amazon that it was pretty much just more of the last one, maybe more slick and polished, and I guess that is somewhat your feel. It's actually their 3rd record, I think. Or maybe you just meant your second album of theirs. I haven't heard the first one, but I will probably need to pick up Time to Die. Or maybe not. Kind of uninspired cover art. Looks like a quickly chosen snapshot of their beat up old kitchen floor linoleum.

Produced by Phil Ek (Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse) the album sees the duo swell to a trio with the addition of Keaton Snyder on electric vibraphone. The slightly ramshackle sound of their breakthrough second album The Visiter is replaced with a perfectly produced mix of classic American College Rock and Indie Folk, recalling Phil Ek's previous clients The Shins.

Was hoping to have the new Holopaw by now, but it's been delayed again until Nov 3. Should be another good one ... couple full mp3 available at the label ...

http://bakeryoutletrecords.com/bako26.htm

BTW, "Little Stallion with a Glass Jaw" is very cool.

Jim Clark
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Used to love Depeche Mode. Not sure what happened, but don't like much but Violator anymore. Partly just cause it sounds so cool, got kind of a Kraftwerk motoriffic sound. Hey thanks, I was wondering about the Dodos new one. I had read a little blurb at amazon that it was pretty much just more of the last one, maybe more slick and polished, and I guess that is somewhat your feel. It's actually their 3rd record, I think. Or maybe you just meant your second album of theirs. I haven't heard the first one, but I will probably need to pick up Time to Die. Or maybe not. Kind of uninspired cover art. Looks like a quickly chosen snapshot of their beat up old kitchen floor linoleum.

Produced by Phil Ek (Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse) the album sees the duo swell to a trio with the addition of Keaton Snyder on electric vibraphone. The slightly ramshackle sound of their breakthrough second album The Visiter is replaced with a perfectly produced mix of classic American College Rock and Indie Folk, recalling Phil Ek's previous clients The Shins.

Was hoping to have the new Holopaw by now, but it's been delayed again until Nov 3. Should be another good one ... couple full mp3 available at the label ...

http://bakeryoutletrecords.com/bako26.htm

BTW, "Little Stallion with a Glass Jaw" is very cool.

My second Dodos album would be more accurate : )

while I don't have the time to post very often, I still like to read and one day saw your rec. for Visiter. You've got a pretty good track record with me so I gave it a chance and of course you know how much fun it is. Honestly I didn't really expect them to capture the magic again but it was worth a shot. Again, it's pretty early into to it so I would hate to say that it didn't have any potential to climb into higher favor with me.

Keep'm coming Davey!

jc