Elf Pee sent me a yummy basket of goodies! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Elf Pee sent me a yummy basket of goodies!

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't use Elf Pee and Yummy in the same sentence. :eek:

I received an early easter basket (cleverly disguised as a DVD case) full of musical goodies from my Finchy friend last week and I have been very much enjoying almost everything in the basket.

Incubus - I like a lot. Having only heard one song of theirs previously, they weren't quite as heavy as I expected. This will get a lot of play over the next week or two as I get more comfortable with them. I suspect that they will end up near the top of my wish list. Did you notice that the very beginning of the first song sounds a lot like the first track (Burned) on the Three Day's Grace disk? That loose change hitting a guitar sound?

Haley Westenra - While this girl has a very beautiful voice, the choice of songs just isn't my cup of tea. The selections sent to me range from too Operatic to too Olivia Newton-Johnish. If she went a little more folky (Hem) or more rock (Evanescence), I might learn to like her. But as it stands, I'll take a pass.

Alexi Lalas - Now we're talking. This was good, fun stuff. My toes are still tapping. I wonder if he could braid his beard. :rolleyes:

The Pop Culture Press Sampler - I only spun this one once. Not too much really grabbed me on first listen. I was distracted by the poor quality of the disk in general. I'll give this another spin to see if anything pops :) out at me on second spin.

The Bonus disk - What is on this? I'm having trouble reading what you wrote on the disk. Is it Lost Prophets and Probot? The first half of the disk was very enjoyable. I liked it very much. But then it turned on me. I'm not quite sure if the second half is all one band or if there are two additional bands (three in total) on the disk. The second half is kinda like Staind meets Rob Zombie. Hmmmm. The first half was better IMHO.

All in all, Incubus and Lost Prophets (?) win full points. Thanks for sharing and for introducing me to some really great new tunes that will no doubt end up expanding my already overflowing CD collection.

Dave_G
03-24-2004, 08:23 AM
So good 'ol Finchy is takin care of ya?

Cool.

Dave

Jim Clark
03-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Alexi Lalas - Now we're talking. This was good, fun stuff. My toes are still tapping. I wonder if he could braid his beard. :rolleyes:

When Alexi quit soccer (KC Wizards) he said something about wanting to start a music career. I just laughed. Guess the joke's on me now. 'course I haven't heard it but I guess he's got two fans.

jc

Finch Platte
03-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't use Elf Pee and Yummy in the same sentence. :eek:

I received an early easter basket (cleverly disguised as a DVD case) full of musical goodies from my Finchy friend last week and I have been very much enjoying almost everything in the basket.

Incubus - I like a lot. Having only heard one song of theirs previously, they weren't quite as heavy as I expected. This will get a lot of play over the next week or two as I get more comfortable with them. I suspect that they will end up near the top of my wish list. Did you notice that the very beginning of the first song sounds a lot like the first track (Burned) on the Three Day's Grace disk? That loose change hitting a guitar sound?

Haley Westenra - While this girl has a very beautiful voice, the choice of songs just isn't my cup of tea. The selections sent to me range from too Operatic to too Olivia Newton-Johnish. If she went a little more folky (Hem) or more rock (Evanescence), I might learn to like her. But as it stands, I'll take a pass.

The Pop Culture Press Sampler - I only spun this one once. Not too much really grabbed me on first listen. I was distracted by the poor quality of the disk in general. I'll give this another spin to see if anything pops :) out at me on second spin.

The Bonus disk - What is on this? I'm having trouble reading what you wrote on the disk. Is it Lost Prophets and Probot? The first half of the disk was very enjoyable. I liked it very much. But then it turned on me. I'm not quite sure if the second half is all one band or if there are two additional bands (three in total) on the disk. The second half is kinda like Staind meets Rob Zombie. Hmmmm. The first half was better IMHO.

All in all, Incubus and Lost Prophets (?) win full points. Thanks for sharing and for introducing me to some really great new tunes that will no doubt end up expanding my already overflowing CD collection.

Elf Pee- good one :D

Yeah, what Dave said- I may send you some Spandex Ballet. ;) Glad there was some stuff in there you liked. Lostprophets/Probot- that sounds right. They're both new discs I got. The Probots (Dave Grohl on drums) is kind of like something one of us RR'ers would do if we had a band- pick some of your favorite singers, guitarists, whatever, and write a song for them and make a whole album of it.

Sometimes I get tired/lazy of doing labels, so I figure if the person I send it to likes the band, they can get the info off the 'net.

Shoud I send JimC the Alexi disc?

Haley. Yeah, acquired taste. It was a 2 song sampler I got from Tower. She's supposedly leaning towards orchestra stuff, but what you said sounds more right (nice English, eh?). She's only 16, so maybe along the way she could pick up some tips from the raunchier grrls, eh? ;)

You're welcome, and I put a copy of THE COMP THAT NO ONE WANTED in the mail today.

ep

Jim Clark
03-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Shoud I send JimC the Alexi disc?

ep

Nah! But it was nice of you to think about it...I think.

jc

Edit:
You're welcome, and I put a copy of THE COMP THAT NO ONE WANTED in the mail today.
Did you really make a comp no one wanted? that's been sort of an unofficial goal of mine for a while now. If you really did beat me to it then I offer you my utmost respect and admiration.

jc (again)

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Dat's from hangin' out wit da Canadians, eh.

I'd like to take the credit for elf pee but I can't. It's not the first time that you've been called that on this board.

What's that Jim? I wasn't supposed to tell him that's what we call him when he's not around?

Oh. Never mind.

Finch Platte
03-24-2004, 02:32 PM
I did make a comp no one wanted, and recently, too. I couldn't finger out why no one would ask for it- maybe cuz I didn't put many descriptions of the bands on there. Yeah, that's it. 32 looks at last look!

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3036

ep

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2004, 02:38 PM
I completely forgot to mention the dada disk. I don't know how I could forget since it's up there with Incubus as a new favourite.

FP, I can see why you like this band so much. My sincerest apologies to dada for the oversight. :(

P.S. Y R U signing your posts ep instead of fp?

Edit: Oh, I get it... ELF PEE! :D

Finch Platte
03-24-2004, 07:15 PM
I completely forgot to mention the dada disk. I don't know how I could forget since it's up there with Incubus as a new favourite.

FP, I can see why you like this band so much. My sincerest apologies to dada for the oversight. :(

P.S. Y R U signing your posts ep instead of fp?

Edit: Oh, I get it... ELF PEE! :D

Did I send you the dada comp, or the latest, 'How To Be Found'?

I'm sure they'll forgive you. If you buy a copy of the new one. :D

ep