Inglorious Basterds [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Inglorious Basterds

Rich-n-Texas
09-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Oh man, Inglorious Bastards is a riot. Ignore the ads, Pitt's role is actually pretty small (but funny and well played). It's a WWII espionage thriller with homages to other WWII spy classics like Notorious, as well as 5-star WWII classics like Dirty Dozen and Kelly's Heroes. QT even uses some of the awesome KH music at one point in the climax. The spag-western vibe QT sometimes plays up is lifted right from KH.

It's way more graphically violent than any of his other films (which is saying a lot, but it really does make Reservoir Dogs look like a Disney flick), but as always, it's so absurd that it wanders into cartoon territory. The pace is a bit leisurely at times (2:30+ hours), but it's a very complex story with many tangents and colorful characters who need their own set up scenes. Most of the actors are German and French, well known in Europe, but not the US. The 2 female leads are glamorous and sexy and I hope they get more work in American films. Amazing acting by Christoph Waltz as the SS "Jew Hunter" Hans Lander too. It's an orscar® worthy breakout performance. What a juicy, menacing, role of a lifetime.

It uses all the techniques and stylistic gags you expect from QT; incongruous music (Bowie in a WWII movie, WTF? But it felt so right!), freeze framed violence, quirky camera angles, goofy captions, and eliptical, minutia-filled conversations. Like the rest of his movies, it's a dazzling, kaleidoscopic experience.

There are some absolute knock out scenes like the particularly tense, shocking and memorable basement bar sequence or the "Italian" scene in the theater lobby that had the audience howling. And the enormously satisfying and surreal climax! I won't give it away, but it's something that I've never seen in a WWII movie before, and in thinking about it, I'm not sure why that is . . . it's extremely clever, making me really remember why QT is such an important director.Saw it Friday. Went with my 30 year old niece. After it was over and we were walking out of the theater, we looked at eachother and agreed... it was comical. Not side-spliting, just comical.

Troy pretty much reflects my opinions of this film. QT directed a film that was about two separate means to a single end: kill nazi's. Kill important nazi's.

The "Jew Hunter" was definately the central figure in this movie, and yeah, he played his character quite well. I loved listening to Brad Pitt's accent (IIRC the character was from Tenessee) and he didn't overdo (over act) his role.

That's all I'm going to say about it. Some reviewers said they can close the book on WWII movies now, and I definately agree. :thumbsup:

bobsticks
09-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-my-frikken-gothic-meets-Miami Social-ass-off!!!

God bless you Rich!! This needed to happen...if only in affirmation of Troy's excellent review...

...dear God, don't nobody come in chit on this thread...if y'all stilll wanna fight I'll meet y'all in the Cage... but please respect what these characters are doin'...

3LB
09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Some reviewers said they can close the book on WWII movies now, and I definately agree.Well, if a movie can change the way you look at a genre, I guess its doing its job

Troy
09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks!